PVR Manager is starting up: 0% - "Solved"
Hi guys

I got this annoying problem, was getting worse lately with no logic explanation whatsoever.

- I tried disabling/enabling the plugin. Sometimes worked but it was not a solution.

- I was using MediaPortal backend and plugin - reinstalled - apparently worked - no - still failling.

- I installed NextPVR - same problem - mmmm - maybe problem is not in Kodi but in Windows with their awful updates that make things that always worked sooner or later stop working?

- I checked the state of the services within the PC - It was unable to open the services window until a significant lapse of time after the PC started up. Maybe 2 minutes. AWFUL. Also, no any software related with the services worked: like Media Portal or NPVR front ends, until certain time lapsed.

So,

DIAGNOSTIC:

1 - since some f... windows update this year, the startp up is problematic, the windows services are unavailable until after certain amount of time, and this is still happening in an SSD and after having cleaned up all the windows spyware, defender and other MS garbage trying to optimize PC performace.

2 - If for any reason KODI starts before the PVR service is ready, KODI is totally UNABLE to recover the connecttion later at any time, which is also quite a bug in Kodi as well.

TEMPORARY SOLUTION

- Delay the KODI launch for some time, say 100 seconds, to allow the windows services to start. Then it always works. 

AWFUL

please share your experiences and thoughts here 

Regards
Hacky solution:
You could try using a batch file to check your network is up, then start kodi when it is.
I have something similar that I use in a restart script that's easily adapted.  You're welcome to try it.
Assuming kodi's in the usual place:
Quote:@echo OFF

rem check if kodi's already running
tasklist | find /i "kodi" >nul 2>&1
rem start kodi when network's up
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 (
  ECHO Kodi is not running
  GOTO CONTINUE
) ELSE (
  ECHO Kodi is already running
  PAUSE
  EXIT
)
:CONTINUE
rem check if internet connected.  If not, wait  / loop
echo checking internet connection
:LOOP
Ping www.google.nl -n 1 -w 1000
cls
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 (
  ECHO No internet detected.
  ECHO Hang on a tick
  Timeout /T 2 /Nobreak
  GOTO LOOP
) ELSE (
  GOTO STARTKODI
)
:STARTKODI
START "" "C:\Program Files\Kodi\kodi.exe"
Change the path to kodi.exe if necessary.  Open a text editor, copy and paste the above into it, save as eg 'startkodi.bat' (make sure it's not startkodi.bat.txt'!).
Double-click the file.
It should start kodi if your network's up.
If you have no network (actually internet) it will wait.

This assumes you're not using the windows store version btw.
(2018-11-10, 19:30)trogggy Wrote: Hacky solution:
You could try using a batch file to check your network is up, then start kodi when it is.
I have something similar that I use in a restart script that's easily adapted.  You're welcome to try it.
Assuming kodi's in the usual place:
Quote:@echo OFF

rem check if kodi's already running
tasklist | find /i "kodi" >nul 2>&1
rem start kodi when network's up
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 (
  ECHO Kodi is not running
  GOTO CONTINUE
) ELSE (
  ECHO Kodi is already running
  PAUSE
  EXIT
)
:CONTINUE
rem check if internet connected.  If not, wait  / loop
echo checking internet connection
:LOOP
Ping www.google.nl -n 1 -w 1000
cls
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 (
  ECHO No internet detected.
  ECHO Hang on a tick
  Timeout /T 2 /Nobreak
  GOTO LOOP
) ELSE (
  GOTO STARTKODI
)
:STARTKODI
START "" "C:\Program Files\Kodi\kodi.exe"
Change the path to kodi.exe if necessary.  Open a text editor, copy and paste the above into it, save as eg 'startkodi.bat' (make sure it's not startkodi.bat.txt'!).
Double-click the file.
It should start kodi if your network's up.
If you have no network (actually internet) it will wait.

This assumes you're not using the windows store version btw. 
Hi

Thanks for the idea.

I forgot to tell that in my case the PVR Server and Kodi frontend are both in the same PC, so I´m not sure if checking the network/internet is relevant...

Is quite weird all in all. When the PC is just started up, if I try to open the Windows Services panel, it won´t until some time (too long to be normal in my opinion) is elapsed.

During this time, PC apparently looks like ready, but many programs don´t work.
(2018-11-10, 19:55)VictorG Wrote: Hi

Thanks for the idea.

I forgot to tell that in my case the PVR Server and Kodi frontend are both in the same PC, so I´m not sure if checking the network/internet is relevant...

Is quite weird all in all. When the PC is just started up, if I try to open the Windows Services panel, it won´t until some time (too long to be normal in my opinion) is elapsed.

It might still be relevant - I've read dvbviewer-related problems where the client is pointed at 127.0.0.1 (ie same machine) and it fails if the network's down.  But if not if you could find a condition that does work you could swap that into the script.
Edit: or is it just a case of waiting for the server to start up?  That's easily checked for, it's what the second line (tasklist | find /i "kodi" >nul 2>&1) is doing.
(2018-11-10, 20:02)trogggy Wrote:
(2018-11-10, 19:55)VictorG Wrote: Hi

Thanks for the idea.

It might still be relevant - I've read dvbviewer-related problems where the client is pointed at 127.0.0.1 (ie same machine) and it fails if the network's down.  But if not if you could find a condition that does work you could swap that into the script.
Edit: or is it just a case of waiting for the server to start up?  That's easily checked for, it's what the second line (tasklist | find /i "kodi" >nul 2>&1) is doing. 
 Don´t know... I´ll check

Apparently the PVR Backend Service takes too long to start, don´t know if by itself or because other reasons, but this happened exactly same with 2 different services (MP and Next), so it might be something they have in common (network?)

Even, as said, the windows services panel takes too long to open, like if the entire system was blocked.

On the other side, what do you think about Kodi being unable to re-try connection with the pvr backend? once first attempt failed it won´t connect never. That seems quite weak, isn´t it? 

Thanks
My server (dvbviewer) is on a separate pc, and it does take a while to start up if I reboot the server.  That's inevitable, everything can't just start instantaneously.  So by the sound of it you need to either delay starting kodi until your backend is up and running (which could be done by changing line 2 of the script) or start kodi with pvr disabled.
Personally I don't like my pvr clients running all the time - I don't use it a great deal - so they're mostly turned off.
(2018-11-10, 20:54)trogggy Wrote: My server (dvbviewer) is on a separate pc, and it does take a while to start up if I reboot the server.  That's inevitable, everything can't just start instantaneously.  So by the sound of it you need to either delay starting kodi until your backend is up and running (which could be done by changing line 2 of the script) or start kodi with pvr disabled.
Personally I don't like my pvr clients running all the time - I don't use it a great deal - so they're mostly turned off.
 Yes, for the moment I delayed the start. But the point is that I never needed such delay for the last several years that I have been using Kodi+MP, daily, cos is the way I watch TV at home. So something definitely went wrong somewhere. Also my other PCs experienced performance problems because of windows updates lately.

Thanks and Regards
This is still happening, has anyone found a fix?  I disable the PVR Client in Kodi, restart Kodi... Make sure the backend is working and then enable the PVR Client and then finally go to TV.  But it just sits on PVR Manager is Starting up : 0%   

I am hoping it is something simple I am missing, if you can please help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR Manager is starting up: 0% - "Solved"0