Add possibility to set an emulator as default
Hi at all.

With so many cores it's normal to test and have our own favourite one: i can suggest to create an option in order to avoid the constant dialog about choosing the emulator to use as default without asking everytime which one we want to use in order to open a Rom/game.
It's quiet annoying after a while have always the dialog about what emulator we want to use. It can be set as default with a button to clear the property and ask again the choice

Best Regards
(2018-11-13, 12:02)3xistence Wrote: Hi at all.

With so many cores it's normal to test and have our own favourite one: i can suggest to create an option in order to avoid the constant dialog about choosing the emulator to use as default without asking everytime which one we want to use in order to open a Rom/game.
It's quiet annoying after a while have always the dialog about what emulator we want to use. It can be set as default with a button to clear the property and ask again the choice

Best Regards
You can sett this per folder inside of IAGL for each console, not for each game.
As sweed said, there is a way to do that via code (which I think my addon and AEL and RCB support).  There's no way to do that via the Kodi gui yet with your local files since the Game Library isn't implemented yet.

The best I think you can do is to go into addons and disable all the addons you don't want to use as the default, and leave only the one you want to use as the default.
Here's an example I did for NES:

Now when I select an .nes file from the Game section, it will auto start with Nestopia (since thats the only available enabled option).
I agree that this would be a nice option.  What I've been doing in the mean time to prevent the kids from picking the wrong emulator is to install all of them and disable the ones I don't want them to use.
Emulators which save state will show up on the list with an icon indicating there is a save, helpful for quickly finding the needed emulator from the list. 

Setting a default would be great or at least have the last used emulator placed at the top of the emulator list.
Yes, this should be implemented as an option in the Context Menu of a Game Folder. Please don't implement this feature but make it dependent on "libraries". I've been using Kodi since the early Xbox0 days. I've never used libraries and never want to.
bit of help needed please if possible

am up and running but just got a few issues 

1  using s905w and s905x2 boxes so is it correct i cant use retroarch if just using kodi18/retroplayer
2  emulators- i havn't got the nes nestopia emulator in my emulators in kodi..do you need to get them from elsewhere
3  regarding save states-  does save states work and if so does that rely on the emulator being used and if so is there a way to know which emulator will save 

as for ps1 games etc i think we need extra files adding dont we..i will read up about all that later today 

appreciate any help given
(2019-01-07, 20:59)zachmorris Wrote: As sweed said, there is a way to do that via code (which I think my addon and AEL and RCB support). 

I'm using AEL but can't find out how to select the default emulator via code as you mentioned?
(2019-11-11, 23:42)Morphy99 Wrote:
(2019-01-07, 20:59)zachmorris Wrote: As sweed said, there is a way to do that via code (which I think my addon and AEL and RCB support). 

I'm using AEL but can't find out how to select the default emulator via code as you mentioned?

Currently a default emulator for Retroplayer cannot be set in AEL. We are working on that but it's going to take some time.
I have not touched emulation on Kodi or not recently anyway, but can you not just remove the cores that you do not want? It might not do what you want it to do but it might save you time.

So for example you have 10 cores for the same system let's say the ZX Spectrum (I will not mention a certain games company) If the core that you prefer is number 10 on the list, and you have to keep scrolling down to load a game. I am not sure if it is possible, just to remove the rest of the cores so that they do not show up, which gives you one core to choose from.

As much as I would love to have an all singing all dancing Kodi, but emulation is years away from where it needs to be in terms of development. I thought that when Kodi 18 was advertised emulation was working 100% sadly this was not the case, and Kodi 19 is being advertised to where it should be working 100% but I honestly cannot see this, so you might have to wait till Kodi 20 or beyond.
(2019-11-13, 13:51)Video Titles Wrote: I have not touched emulation on Kodi or not recently anyway, but can you not just remove the cores that you do not want? It might not do what you want it to do but it might save you time.

So for example you have 10 cores for the same system let's say the ZX Spectrum (I will not mention a certain games company) If the core that you prefer is number 10 on the list, and you have to keep scrolling down to load a game. I am not sure if it is possible, just to remove the rest of the cores so that they do not show up, which gives you one core to choose from.

As much as I would love to have an all singing all dancing Kodi, but emulation is years away from where it needs to be in terms of development. I thought that when Kodi 18 was advertised emulation was working 100% sadly this was not the case, and Kodi 19 is being advertised to where it should be working 100% but I honestly cannot see this, so you might have to wait till Kodi 20 or beyond.

All available emulators installed or not show up unfortunately. It's handy if you need to try another one by installing from there but isnt great for kid/waf factor.

If you haven't tried it recently why are you commenting on where Kodi is at with this? IMHO it works pretty well for 8 /16 bit consoles on the rpi3. If you want better than this then RR build of libreelec does loads more and better. I switched away from this as the latest stable is from March and the nightlies had some issues with basic Kodi functions and addons. And last time I checked Kodi was free so they don't "advertise" anything and what is working is great for a free product when there are other paid for options on the market which have less versatility.
Firstly, I was using advanced launcher years ago. Secondly, you can advertise anything, I will try and be polite lol however you see adverts on faceyawn for free to play games. You advertise a product, that product does not have to cost a thing, but you are still advertising something.

Thirdly, for my emulation I used a dedicated arcade front end, I do not use them to play my movies on, even though that is possible.

I tried emulation when 18 was launched, it was ADVERTISED that game support and emulation had been improved, however, sadly this was not the case. 

Emulation for Kodi, is low on the agenda. What I mean by that is if you have a team of 100 working on the movie side, there are only about 10 working on the emulation side. So the lower the number of people working on emulation, the longer that it will take to finish.

However, a lot of Kodi features is skin dependant, to give an example my movie skin is Titan Bingie, however it is useless for music so I do not use it for music. It is a skin that was more designed for movies, where other skins like Artic and Aura are more both.

Also to give a better example, the Xbox One skin, I thought that would support emulation due to the nature of the skin, however it does not, yes you can launch a front end from it, but it is not emulation friendly.

Emulation on Kodi is going to be mainly down to the people whom skin, and also to the people whom are attaching retroarch as a bolt on. 

I would sooner have a dedicated front end for emulation, unless something is done 100% which is going to take time, and that is not where Kodi is at the moment.
(2019-11-13, 15:00)Video Titles Wrote: Secondly, you can advertise anything, I will try and be polite lol however you see adverts on faceyawn for free to play games. You advertise a product, that product does not have to cost a thing, but you are still advertising something.
No, the Kodi foundation doesn't advertise anything. It is NOT a product. They will post updates as news on their blog/website/social media but these are not adverts. Games which are free usually contain adverts or paid upgrades, so are monetised in some way. I'm not going to go on about this as it's OT but my point is don't slate Kodi for not being up to your standard or false advertising when you pay nothing for it and rely on others people's hard work to get it where it is. You don't pay for a product or service so don't complain when it doesn't live up to your expectation.

I agree a lot needs to be done with the aesthetics and the game library but it takes time. Skin support will come. I use Bello and this doesnt have skin support but with some help of favourites / super favourites and a launcher you can at least browse games and run them. I'm looking at Hyperspin Launcher soon as this looks great but I'm not sure how it will work.
Once more you do not understand what ADVERTISING means.

Advertising can mean any form of communication to ADVERTISE something.

I am ADVERTISING that I am going to be not at my computer tomorrow, as I have things in real life to do.

This is classed as ADVERTISING as I am telling you something, I am ADVERTISING something.

However, I am not selling a product, so it is not in the terms that you see as an advert, where buy diet coke and live for 500 years, our guarantee or your money back style advert. 

Kodi advertises itself every time that it releases an update.

Look Kodi has included x, y and z
Your whites will never be whiter or your money back.

However, you do realise that Kodi has a DONATE function, which you can see clearly at the top of this page? You do realise that they sell merchandise?

Mmmmmm gee let me think about that, ok  I have they are doing the same as a free game.

However, you are contradicting yourself, you don't agree with what I have said but I will quote you "I agree a lot needs to be done with the aesthetics and the game library but it takes time. "

But one minute you was disagreeing with me, saying that it is all done.

Make up your mind.
(2019-11-13, 13:51)Video Titles Wrote: As much as I would love to have an all singing all dancing Kodi, but emulation is years away from where it needs to be in terms of development. I thought that when Kodi 18 was advertised emulation was working 100% sadly this was not the case, and Kodi 19 is being advertised to where it should be working 100% but I honestly cannot see this, so you might have to wait till Kodi 20 or beyond.

Emulation for Kodi, is low on the agenda. What I mean by that is if you have a team of 100 working on the movie side, there are only about 10 working on the emulation side. So the lower the number of people working on emulation, the longer that it will take to finish.
If you're comparing Kodi to Retroarch, I think you're somehow right. Retroplay doesn't work with cores that nees 3d OpenGL, sometimes controllers don't work as expected, and Retroarch offers a plethora of options and (when properly configured, which can be hard) gives an overall better game experience. But at least for 8-16 bit consoles, Kodi is a simpler and quickier alternative.

One must keep in mind that Retroplay is a five years' (at least) work of a single developer (garbear) that recently has slowed down his commitment to the project, and (as far as I can tell from the github page) noone seems to work fulltime on it. I don't think that is a Kodi team choice: probably there aren't developers willing to do it. It's a downside of the open source projects.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add possibility to set an emulator as default0