Shield: could a not excellent HDMI cable create problems with the remote control
Hi, I have the Shield to watch 4K videos in a HDD from a little time. Could a not excellent HDMI cable create problems with the remote control? The remote control often doesn't respond in its functions when you want to run a 4K video I have in a HDD. It is very slow or even responds after a few seconds. I don't know if my remote control is faulty or not. Anyway I'm waiting for a new HDMI cable but in the meantime I'm using another one. Thanks for your news.
The HDMI cable is literally the LAST thing I would assume to be at fault... o.O
But I don't mean it is at fault. I mean it can have problems with radiofrequency.
https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/...paper.html

(2018-11-19, 18:42)FoxADRIANO Wrote: Hi, I have the Shield to watch 4K videos in a HDD from a little time. Could a not excellent HDMI cable create problems with the remote control? The remote control often doesn't respond in its functions when you want to run a 4K video I have in a HDD. It is very slow or even responds after a few seconds. I don't know if my remote control is faulty or not. Anyway I'm waiting for a new HDMI cable but in the meantime I'm using another one. Thanks for your news.
 The nVidia Shield TV remote control uses 2.4GHz Bluetooth.  The biggest source of 2.4GHz interference that stops Bluetooth remotes (and 802.11bgn 2.4GHz WiFi) working effectively is interference from USB 3.0 devices connected directly to the Shield TV (though the drives are not usually placed next to the Shield TV but at the maximum distance their cable allows on a different shelf), and will reduce the operating range and reliability of Bluetooth devices like the nVidia Shield TV remote control.  HDMI is far less likely to be the cause of such interference.

I'd recommend disconnecting and disconnecting the power (if it's powered) from your hard drive and seeing if you get the same interference.   If this solves the problem you have a couple of options.

1. Switch to infra red remote control (a USB FLIRC IR receiver can be a good substitute for an nVidia Bluetooth remote)
2. Use Ethernet rather than USB for connectivity to your storage
3. Troubleshoot your USB 3.0 connectivity to minimise your Shield TV's interference

It is, of course, possible that your Shield TV or your Shield TV remote control is faulty.

I have a Shield TV 1st gen with a 2nd gen Shield TV remote (warranty replacement for my 1st gen remote which refused to recharge) and have no major issues with USB 3.0 Seagate and Western Digital mains powered HDDs and the Shield TV Remote, but I live in a small flat in London where my viewing position is probably less than 3m from the Shield TV...
I will make what you suggest me. I still don't have the new HDMI cable.
Yesterday when I wrote I solved my problems in another post it was because a friend of mine lent me a HDMI cable for one day.
Two days ago I bought a new HDMI cable and I will get it in around 10 days. It costs more that 70 euro because it is a cable of the future with triple shielding.
I became so nervous that if I will have problems again with it, I will throw the Shield in the trash or I will give it to a friend of mine.

I already got and I use a new and expensive USB3 cable and now I'm waiting for another the new HDMI cable. Now I'm using the new USB3 cable and an old HDMI cable. But I have always many problems above all with Kodi.
Out of curiosity: is it better having a good HDMI cable or a USB3 cable for the Shield? I remember I connect Shield to HDD.

Now I like to ask a last question please: could a no good HDMI3 cable give slightly faded colors and tending to blue? It is what I'm getting above all with Kodi and MX Player Pro is giving me less problems.
When I use Kodi I get slightly faded colours and I always need to close Kodi 2-3 times and then Kodi works fine with colours. I almost always need to close Kodi and to open it again if I want to see good colours.
Thanks

Edit: If I understand well: if I disconnect the HDD I don't have problems in surfing into the Shield icons. My problem is only when I watch a video, the remote control doesn't work fine.
How can I connect an HDD with Shield by a Ethernet cable? Do you mean with Internet? I use Shield in tavern and the Internet signal is weak.

If I buy a USB FLIRC IR receiver, do I have to change remote control?
My Shield begins to plot a drama. Maybe in a little while I will not want to hear about Shield again.

NOW THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION:
Do you know if there is a better player than Shield even if it is more expensive? I will watch ONLY my 4K videos in a HDD.

EDIT 2: This night I tried to watch the same video I watched in the afternoon but this time I saw a very overexposed video. The video was very bad. I hope someone can tell me if this problem is of my old HDMI cable.
(2018-11-20, 14:42)FoxADRIANO Wrote: NOW THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION:
Do you know if there is a better player than Shield even if it is more expensive? I will watch ONLY my 4K videos in a HDD.

EDIT 2: This night I tried to watch the same video I watched in the afternoon but this time I saw a very overexposed video. The video was very bad. I hope someone can tell me if this problem is of my old HDMI cable.
Hey, I would suggest you to try using Dune players. Kodi is not for everyone, tastes and needs are different for all of us. Dune has a very good reputation and also dedicated support teams available. Dune has no affiliation with Kodi nor the Kodi team whatsoever and runs their own software. tldr: nothing in common with Kodi, no support here in forums. Some bigger and/or specialized shops in your area might have some Dune players in their sortiment for you to try them out before buying.
(2018-11-20, 14:42)FoxADRIANO Wrote: I will make what you suggest me. I still don't have the new HDMI cable.
Yesterday when I wrote I solved my problems in another post it was because a friend of mine lent me a HDMI cable for one day.
Two days ago I bought a new HDMI cable and I will get it in around 10 days. It costs more that 70 euro because it is a cable of the future with triple shielding.
I'd cancel the order of a €70 HDMI cable. There is absolutely no point in spending that amount of money on an HDMI cable. A ~€10-€20 Premium Certified HDMI cable will perform perfectly with an nVidia Shield TV in all supported output formats.

I run with OMARS cables (as recommended to me by a broadcast engineer and colourist) but Amazon also do a good range of own brand cables at around the same price point.

Quote:I already got and I use a new and expensive USB3 cable and now I'm waiting for another the new HDMI cable. Now I'm using the new USB3 cable and an old HDMI cable. But I have always many problems above all with Kodi.
Expensive isn't the same as good. Please don't make that mistake.
I thought you were using a USB 2.0 cable and all your problems had gone away? Is any of your content so high bit rate that you have to use a USB 3.0 cable?
Quote:Out of curiosity: is it better having a good HDMI cable or a USB3 cable for the Shield? I remember I connect Shield to HDD.
The only reason to change HDMI cables is if you are getting sparkly dots on your video, or your TV and nVidia Shield don't connect reliably with your TV saying 'Unsupported signal' or similar, or you get flashing black / green /magenta screens when you are playing video. That is usually the sign of a cable that is failing to carry a high bandwidth signal reliably. However if you get a signal that doesn't have sparkly dots or any flashing - then your HDMI cable is working correctly. Either an HDMI cable works - or it doesn't. That's the great thing about digital signals.
Quote:Now I like to ask a last question please: could a no good HDMI3 cable give slightly faded colors and tending to blue?
No - it is not possible for an HDMI cable to do subtle colour changes.
Quote:It is what I'm getting above all with Kodi and MX Player Pro is giving me less problems.

This sounds like a difference between Kodi and MX Player Pro in video terms. Do you see the same changes between Kodi and MX Player Pro when the Shield TV is configured for 709 output and when it is configured for 2020 output?

Quote:When I use Kodi I get slightly faded colours and I always need to close Kodi 2-3 times and then Kodi works fine with colours. I almost always need to close Kodi and to open it again if I want to see good colours.
Thanks

I'm afraid I can't help with this. Do you get the same issues with all UHD content you are playing?

Quote:Edit: If I understand well: if I disconnect the HDD I don't have problems in surfing into the Shield icons. My problem is only when I watch a video, the remote control doesn't work fine.

Yes - you have confirmed you have a USB 3.0/Bluetooth interference issue. When you disconnect your USB HDD you have no problems with your remote control. When you connect your USB HDD but it isn't doing anything (i.e. no video is playing) you don't have problems (this is presumably because no data is being carried over the USB 3.0 cable). When you play videos - and lots of data is carried over the USB 3 cable, you get interference issues. Just as I have advised and wrxtasy has advised.

The nVidia Shield TV - as I have said - is known to be susceptible to USB 3 interference (some people have modified the Bluetooth antenna inside to reduce this interference)

Quote:How can I connect an HDD with Shield by a Ethernet cable? Do you mean with Internet? I use Shield in tavern and the Internet signal is weak.

I mean by using a NAS (Network Attached Storage), a DIY server like unRAID, sharing your USB 3 hard drive using network sharing on a PC/Mac (i.e. plug the HDD into your PC/Mac and then enable drive sharing with your Shield TV and PC/Mac connected to the same network via Ethernet cables), or by using a hard drive with integrated NAS functionality (BUT YOU MUST CHECK THEY SUPPORT SMB/CIFS or NFS - some use their own protocol) None of this uses the internet. However if you are not confident in network set-up this might not be a good idea for you. However it is how many Kodi users operate. Almost all my videos are on a 20TB unRAID server in a cupboard that I access over my home network on all my Kodi devices (Shield TV, PC, Raspberry Pi, Apple TV running MrMC etc)

Quote:If I buy a USB FLIRC IR receiver, do I have to change remote control?

Yes - FLIRC emulates a USB keyboard. You program it by plugging it into a PC or a Mac, so that it can work with any spare infra-red remote control you may have (some people use an old satellite PVR or DVD player remote for instance, or a Logitech Harmony universal remote) and then you plug it into your nVidia Shield TV and it allows you to control the Shield TV without using Bluetooth, and thus without interference.
Quote:My Shield begins to plot a drama. Maybe in a little while I will not want to hear about Shield again.

NOW THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION:

There are lots of players that support UHD playback - the AMLogic S905X/D based players are good examples. The Vero 4K/4K+ are S905X/D based and work well and Sam supports them well with his OSMC set-up. You can buy cheaper no-name boxes and run Libre/CoreElec on them too - however if you are struggling with your Shield TV and not confident as a computer user I'd look at the Vero.

However I have zero major issues with my Shield TV - certainly no random 'wrong colours' issues...
I always thank you for your availability.
Yes, I have just deleted the order of a €70 HDMI cable. Smile
I live in Italy and I don't know which HDMI cable you are using precisely for your Shield and if I can find it in Italy.
The cable I bougth is: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07GVVJ...UTF8&psc=1
I have just deleted the order and I will buy the cable you suggested me but I'm afraid I even with it I will get the same problems. Infact that 70 euro cable has a double braided sheath, therefore protected from wireless interference.
I already know Omars cable minimize interference with wireless signals.  But has Omars Premium cable the same protection of the other one?
I found this Omars HDMI cable: https://www.amazon.it/Omars-Premium-Cert...OMARS+HDMI
is it the same you are using with Shield?
Thanks again one.
(2018-11-21, 15:35)FoxADRIANO Wrote: I always thank you for your availability.
Yes, I have just deleted the order of a €70 HDMI cable. Smile
Good - no HDMI cable should cost €70...
Quote:I live in Italy and I don't know which HDMI cable you are using precisely for your Shield and if I can find it in Italy.
The cable I bougth is: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07GVVJ...UTF8&psc=1
I have just deleted the order and I will buy the cable you suggested me but I'm afraid I even with it I will get the same problems. Infact that 70 euro cable has a double braided sheath, therefore protected from wireless interference.
I don't think HDMI signals are in the frequency range that cause interference with Bluetooth - so that shouldn't be an issue. The double shielding is pseudoscience to make you think you 'get a better picture' #youdont...
Quote:I already know Omars cable minimize interference with wireless signals.  But has Omars Premium cable the same protection of the other one?

I found this Omars HDMI cable: https://www.amazon.it/Omars-Premium-Cert...OMARS+HDMI
is it the same you are using with Shield?
Yes - the key thing is the HDMI Premium Certified logo and hologram on the cable. But if you don't have sparkly dots or 'No Signal' or black flashes there may be no reason to change your cable. However I run OMARS cables because I had problems with my previous cables as they didn't pass 2160/60p at 12-bit 4:2:2.

They are good quality cables and work.
It seems incredible. This morning I wanted to buy the Omars Premium Certified HDMI cable but I was not able to find 2m cable. There are only 1m and 1.5m. I need 2 meters. What can I do please? Do I have to buy another brand?
(2018-11-22, 11:21)FoxADRIANO Wrote: It seems incredible. This morning I wanted to buy the Omars Premium Certified HDMI cable but I was not able to find 2m cable. There are only 1m and 1.5m. I need 2 meters. What can I do please? Do I have to buy another brand?
OMARS have a 3m cable. https://www.amazon.co.uk/OMARS®-Premium-...01FFIDITQ/

Alternatively MonoPrice cables are also good quality and a sensible price if you can find them in Italy.  (They are usually sold in feet rather than metres as they are US cables - but 6 feet = 1.83m, 10 feet = 3.05m etc.)

The important words to ensure full HDMI 2.0 compatibility are 'Premium Certified'.  These words mean that the cable is compatible with the new high bandwidth HDMI standards used for 2160/50p and 60p at 4:2:2 and 12-bit (the lower bandwidth cables are designed to max out at 2160/50p or 60p 4:2:0 8-bit - which is the lowest 2160/50p and 60p format)

This doesn't mean non-Premium Certified cables won't work - many will (particularly shorter cables) - but the Premium Certified cables are guaranteed TO work. I won't spend stupid money on HDMI cables (anything above €25 is stupid money IMO unless you are buying very long, active cables) - but life is too short to chase intermittent faults caused by a cable that is not quite good enough. (I had sub-standard cable issues when I switched to a UHD HDR AVR and enabled my sources for high quality UHD HDR output and swapped them all out for OMARS and one Monoprice - I needed a white cable from the AVR to TV for decor reasons...)

Amazon Basics cabled are also widely recommended by people - though I've not been quickly able to find a premium certified version (though it could be that their regular cables are good enough). They are a very stiff cable though in my experience (I've used them for HD installs).

HOWEVER - I will repeat that if your current cables aren't causing you issues like sparkly dots or noise on the picture, your picture flashing to black (or green or magenta), or your TV frequently saying 'No Signal', 'Unidentified format' etc. then you probably don't need to change you cable. If you get a reliable connection, i.e. when you switch your TV on, and then your Shield TV on, you get a solid picture - then your HDMI connection is almost certainly fine.

Your HDMI cable won't make subtle colour changes to your picture - like making it a bit more blue, a bit less green etc. The HDMI connection standard doesn't work like that.
Hi, my new Belkin HDMI cable arrived yesterday and I used it extensively. I'd like to make a feedback.
This cable solved some problems but maybe it didn't solve all my problems ... but I don't know it.
When I click on Kodi icon, it opens more quickly. It is good.
Then when I watch my 4K video I see an overexposed video with languid colors. It happens for many times. Colors aren't oroginals.
Then I turn off Kodi and I open it again, then I see good colours, they are the original colours.
If I open Kodi 100 times I get that problem for around 70 times.
Sometimes when I open Shield from TV page I see a black screen without signal. I need to come back to TV channel/programs and then when I open Shield again everything is OK.
I got this problem only 2 times.
Now .... I can send back my Shield and to replace it with another one. I have no problems to do it. But I think my real problem is Kodi and not Shield.
What is yout opinion?
Replace the shield.
I don't think you will be happy until you've proved your Shield isn't at fault.  If you can return it for a replacement - then I'd do that.

Your HDMI cable is almost guaranteed not to cause your video to change brightness and colour saturation.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shield: could a not excellent HDMI cable create problems with the remote control2