Current best way to playback UHD HDR content on Windows with Kodi?
I see several guides and options out there for playback, so i'm a bit confused as to what the easiest method is to get this working under windows..

Here is what i've done so far.. I have an Nvidia 1080 FTW video card on hdmi for my Windows 10 v1803 PC..  I run at this point, Kodi with both the x64 and x86 Kodi DS Player versions (was confused on which to use, though my old base Kodi install was just the x86 version, i think i installed both Kodi DS Players).. I also installed the MadVr (codecs?)..  I'm confused too, i think i read somewhere that the Kodi internal player doesnt support UHD playback.. at least the Kodi DS Player on my system it does seem to work (maybe not the hdr though).

I did set windows to HDR mode, but i think from what i read this is not necessary?

I thought i read that true UHD / HDR 10bit playback is only possible when played via external player (was this not Kodi DS Player I assume?)?  I'm unsure how to tell if playback is in the right mode to begin with, short of my Samsung 75" Qn6 Remote's.. info button..
I've set the TV to Movie Mode + HDR Plus (for all inputs), so I know that part is taken care of.

Any quick pointers here or suggestions?

Thanks in advance
If you are using DSPlayer, download the latest build of madVR and set hdr to "passthrough HDR to display." If you aren't getting HDR, you may need to roll forward or roll-back to a different video driver.

You will know you are getting HDR in a few ways: the TV typically shows an HDR icon in the corner of the screen when an HDR signal is received; the TV information should show a BT.2020, HDR input and/or the backlight in the picture options menu will go up to its maximum value.

You can achieve the same outcome by playing an HDR video with MPC with madVR selected as the video renderer.

Windows OS HDR should be disabled.
(2018-11-20, 00:30)Warner306 Wrote: If you are using DSPlayer, download the latest build of madVR and set hdr to "passthrough HDR to display." If you aren't getting HDR, you may need to roll forward or roll-back to a different video driver.

You will know you are getting HDR in a few ways: the TV typically shows an HDR icon in the corner of the screen when an HDR signal is received; the TV information should show a BT.2020, HDR input and/or the backlight in the picture options menu will go up to its maximum value.

You can achieve the same outcome by playing an HDR video with MPC with madVR selected as the video renderer.

Thanks for this .. by setting hdr to passthrough in madvr.. is this done via the "madHcCtrl.exe" file in the madvr folder i assume (not seeing where this setting is)..  Do i also need to install the lav filters to work correctly?  Should i made sure the nvidia display settings has the display at 10bit I assume as well (the tv is 10bit)?  edit: looks like nvidia is only giving me an 8 as an option for some reason, maybe because i have the tv in HDR Plus mode, which might prevent "pc" chroma 444 from passing through, unsure.
Samsung HDR+ mode will try to replicate a HDR experience if an SDR source is detected. This is purely artificial! Turn that off, always! ;-)

Samsung TV will switch automatically to HDR mode if a HDR signal is detected. You can't turn that on/off in settings.

If you lost your info button on the remote of the TV. Just switch it off and on again. Normally on the startup banner above it says what source is displaying. HDR icon should be there.
I tested this with the win10 slider and my ks7000 series.
Windows 10 Pro (64bit), Kodi v19.1 "Matrix"
Intel NUC8i3BEH (Samsung 970 Evo, G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB)
Samsung UE49KS7000, Logitech Harmony remote 350
AudioEngine D1, Synology DS218j NAS (SMB protocol)
(2018-11-20, 02:23)markm75 Wrote:
(2018-11-20, 00:30)Warner306 Wrote: If you are using DSPlayer, download the latest build of madVR and set hdr to "passthrough HDR to display." If you aren't getting HDR, you may need to roll forward or roll-back to a different video driver.

Thanks for this .. by setting hdr to passthrough in madvr.. is this done via the "madHcCtrl.exe" file in the madvr folder i assume (not seeing where this setting is)..  Do i also need to install the lav filters to work correctly?  Should i made sure the nvidia display settings has the display at 10bit I assume as well (the tv is 10bit)?  edit: looks like nvidia is only giving me an 8 as an option for some reason, maybe because i have the tv in HDR Plus mode, which might prevent "pc" chroma 444 from passing through, unsure. 
 Open the control panel from the installation folder or press Ctrl + S during playback. Navigate to your device at the top of the devices section, then select hdr. If you are using DSPlayer or MPC-HC, LAV Filters is already installed.

If you have any further questions, take them to the DSPlayer thread because this has nothing to do with Kodi.
Does the standard Kodi build support HEVC/UHD/HDR in any way?
(2018-11-21, 15:28)cable_cutter Wrote: Does the standard Kodi build support HEVC/UHD/HDR in any way?
HEVC: yes
UHD (if you mean 4K res): yes
HDR: not in Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=329588)
Windows 10 Pro (64bit), Kodi v19.1 "Matrix"
Intel NUC8i3BEH (Samsung 970 Evo, G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB)
Samsung UE49KS7000, Logitech Harmony remote 350
AudioEngine D1, Synology DS218j NAS (SMB protocol)
(2018-11-20, 16:20)Warner306 Wrote:
(2018-11-20, 02:23)markm75 Wrote:

Open the control panel from the installation folder or press Ctrl + S during playback. Navigate to your device at the top of the devices section, then select hdr. If you are using DSPlayer or MPC-HC, LAV Filters is already installed.

If you have any further questions, take them to the DSPlayer thread because this has nothing to do with Kodi.  
Thanks, i think i have this mostly working.. though the "passthrough" option seemed to make the colors dull..leaving it at automatic looked natural.. i did a control j to see the info as well.. the tv technically didnt say hdr in the info, so i dont think maybe the nvidia driver is correct or its in the right mode..

I cant seem to get rgb full dynamic range to be enabled along with 10bit.. i think i tried 422 or 420 i forget which but a combination of options wasnt working there either.. maybe again, due to the latest nvidia driver which is what i have going on at the moment, unsure. So at this point i dont think a ds player issue, just windows in general
(2018-11-21, 23:16)markm75 Wrote:
(2018-11-20, 16:20)Warner306 Wrote:
(2018-11-20, 02:23)markm75 Wrote: Thanks for this .. by setting hdr to passthrough in madvr.. is this done via the "madHcCtrl.exe" file in the madvr folder i assume (not seeing where this setting is)..  Do i also need to install the lav filters to work correctly?  Should i made sure the nvidia display settings has the display at 10bit I assume as well (the tv is 10bit)?  edit: looks like nvidia is only giving me an 8 as an option for some reason, maybe because i have the tv in HDR Plus mode, which might prevent "pc" chroma 444 from passing through, unsure.   

Thanks, i think i have this mostly working.. though the "passthrough" option seemed to make the colors dull..leaving it at automatic looked natural.. i did a control j to see the info as well.. the tv technically didnt say hdr in the info, so i dont think maybe the nvidia driver is correct or its in the right mode..

I cant seem to get rgb full dynamic range to be enabled along with 10bit.. i think i tried 422 or 420 i forget which but a combination of options wasnt working there either.. maybe again, due to the latest nvidia driver which is what i have going on at the moment, unsure. So at this point i dont think a ds player issue, just windows in general 
I was able to get HDR to trigger finally, the key as it turned out was to go into kodi's Settings.. Player... DSPlayer.. Video decoder and switch this to DXVA2 (native).. at least i think i chose native i need to double check, now everything is good, no washed out images etc.. only issue is that when you pause the film the text around the edges is super saturated almost bright orange in color but i'm pretty sure the movie's colors look normal.
Don't know why you took this discussion out of the DSPlayer thread. You should be using D3D11 Automatic (Native) hardware decoding, not DXVA2 Native. DXVA2 Native will misalign the chroma information. You probably won't notice, but this is the case.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Current best way to playback UHD HDR content on Windows with Kodi?0