4k Linux Question?
I want to buy or build a Linux system for Kodi that can do 4k playback with no issue and can also support HDR.  My Question is, is this even possible or am I chasing a unicorn?

Thanks, UbuntuUser
(2018-11-26, 18:16)UbuntuUser Wrote: I want to buy or build a Linux system for Kodi that can do 4k playback with no issue and can also support HDR.  My Question is, is this even possible or am I chasing a unicorn?

Thanks, UbuntuUser
I am not sure about HDR, but my AMD Ryzen 2400G plays 4k 10 bit HEVC without issue. I am dual booted with Kubuntu and Libreelec and both work great.
Not sure about HDR but even low power devices like the ODROID-H2 can do 4k content... just google for this. Kodi uses ffmpeg, so there isn't anything unique to it for playback.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
there is currently no way to output 10 bit and HDR metadata on linux(mesa and/or kernel issue, which is being worked on by intel).
Kodi 18 has tonemapping support, which allows us to play 4K HDR and output adjusted colors as SDR.
(2018-11-26, 21:37)wsnipex Wrote: there is currently no way to output 10 bit and HDR metadata on linux(mesa and/or kernel issue, which is being worked on by intel).
Kodi 18 has tonemapping support, which allows us to play 4K HDR and output adjusted colors as SDR.
 Is this done automatically or is is something you have to setup?
(2018-11-26, 21:37)wsnipex Wrote: there is currently no way to output 10 bit and HDR metadata on linux(mesa and/or kernel issue, which is being worked on by intel).
 Is this just for Intel GPUs - or does it also apply to AMD and nVidia? (You mention Intel working on the mesa/kernal issue?)
(2018-11-27, 01:47)UbuntuUser Wrote:  Is this done automatically or is is something you have to setup? 
tonemapping is done automatically, but you can adjust it.

noggin Wrote:Is this just for Intel GPUs - or does it also apply to AMD and nVidia? (You mention Intel working on the mesa/kernal issue?)
afaik, it's done for intel atm, but I'd expect AMD to implement it eventually as well.
Nvidia always does it's own thing and should be avoided for kodi, specially with v19, where we'll drop vdpau support(deprecated and not supported by nvidia anymore)
(2018-11-27, 14:14)wsnipex Wrote:
noggin Wrote:Is this just for Intel GPUs - or does it also apply to AMD and nVidia? (You mention Intel working on the mesa/kernal issue?)
afaik, it's done for intel atm, but I'd expect AMD to implement it eventually as well.
Nvidia always does it's own thing and should be avoided for kodi, specially with v19, where we'll drop vdpau support(deprecated and not supported by nvidia anymore)    

Thanks - noted.

It will be great when Intel 10-bit decode and HDR metadata flagging are implemented properly.

Fingers crossed for HLG flagging, not just HDR10 PQ, now that we have HLG sources 'in the wild'. Be good for Intel to jump ahead of the ARM SoCs.

(I've not found an ARM solution that flags HLG in Kodi, when playing HLG content yet. BBC iPlayer is now carrying HLG UHD stuff in the UK)
So if I am wanting to build a machine that can do 4k and will maybe eventually have HDR capabilities under Linux, is Intel Core i3-8100 Coffee Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz or AMD Ryzen 2400G my best option?  I am assuming from this thread Intel is my best option but I just want to make sure I am not missing something, also if there is a better option then either of those I am open to that as well.

Thanks, UbuntuUser
It's not just about "HDR" as is pointed out here. You'll have some good reading ahead of you (if you follow all the links). Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4k Linux Question?0