srt subtitles not showing in kodi 18.x
Are the subtitles playing off screen?  I notice you have a 4K tv.  I seem to remember an issue with 4K tv's showing the subtitles off the screen or some issue on previous builds.  I think there was a work-around to move them back on screen, but you have to do this each boot.
I have been waiting for this to be fixed, I remember it becoming an issue on the 3rd beta release

Here is the Git Hub bug on this issue, might be able to follow these steps for now.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/14749

Cheers,

--John

Update:  I can confirm that my subtitles do show off screen with RC1.  With 17.6, this is not the case.  Moving them on screen with the calibration worked, however, the entire screen started to display in the upper left, and I had to manually re-calibrate the screen to be 0,0 on overscan.  I will post logs later in the evening ( US time ).
(2018-12-03, 15:53)bublor Wrote: Are the subtitles playing off screen?  I notice you have a 4K tv.  I seem to remember an issue with 4K tv's showing the subtitles off the screen or some issue on previous builds.  I think there was a work-around to move them back on screen, but you have to do this each boot.
I have been waiting for this to be fixed, I remember it becoming an issue on the 3rd beta release

Here is the Git Hub bug on this issue, might be able to follow these steps for now.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/14749

Cheers,

--John

Update:  I can confirm that my subtitles do show off screen with RC1.  With 17.6, this is not the case.  Moving them on screen with the calibration worked, however, the entire screen started to display in the upper left, and I had to manually re-calibrate the screen to be 0,0 on overscan.  I will post logs later in the evening ( US time ).
you're a genius - I went into video calibration and saw that the subtitles bar was way off screen. Moved them back up, and they are showing fine. 

Thanks!
Awesome!

I wanted to also note that the subtitle position remains where you set it.  After a restart of the Kodi app, it was in the same place I had moved it.  ( using Rapier skin )

This was the last thing I needed before going to 18 full time!

Thanks for all your hard work devs!

--john
This is also happening to me and has nothing to do with positioning. Never seen this happen on 5+ years of KODI usage.

Origin (the TV Show) for example, once the episode starts, KODI picks up the .srt that is inside the .mkv but then auto-disables it. I have to manually turn it on, and then it stays until the end of the episode.
Rinse and repeat.

Using Synology with emby for kodi (no transcoding). NVidia Shield as the client. What's wierd is that once the episode starts, subtitles are picking up, but after 5 seconds it auto-disables them. I have to press and hold "down" on Shield remote to bring them back up. Annoying.

Only started happening on RC2

EDIT 2: I think I've found the bug. And it seems to be related to Emby for KODI 3.1.35a latest beta version. I'm saying this because I had one of my NVidia Shields on RC1 20181121-314c302 and none of this was happening. As soon as I updated Emby for KODI to that version, started happening. 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/...s-on-kodi/
(EDIT: confirmed bug)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
srt subtitles not showing in kodi 18.x0