• 1(current)
[New Feature] Movie version
I've reached the end of my patience.

With several thousand hours of work for this, and waited three weeks for a single PR (24148 (PR)) to fix some issues of this feature, this is what I got:

Quote:
At the end it is your decision, but please don’t expect my approval for this PR in this state.

Am I begging for merging a PR? Do I need mercy from Kodi team to contribute? Do I own Kodi team anything, so I need to be treated like this? I really wanted to contribute to Kodi, as it's a very useful software. I even ignored this classic "f**k off" reply to me from a Kodi team member during a technical discussion for this feature (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14972#...1375140477):

Quote:
f**k off, and don't waste our time.

As a top IT company employee for nearly two decades, I'v never been insulted like this. With constantly insulating I received for my contribution, I'm really tired:

Quote:
Looking at this PR, I’m honestly asking myself why we need a shitload of new video database functionality to fix a simple refresh of data.

Enough is enough!

It's a pity to waste several thousand hours of work for a feature that many people want. But without even basic respect for me, it's meaningless to have this feature at all.

Kodi team, please keep your dignity, delete all of my code from your code base, and never use my code and ideas for this feature in your code base.
Hey man

Thanks so much for creating this long awaited feature. This will make a lot of people happy me included Smile

Reading over the GitHub comments a user mentioned about having the movie select dialog appear when user clicks to play movie. In my opinion would prefer this way too.

For example when you set the default version it plays this version by default when you click play. Some users may forget which version is default and when they play the movie they may be unsure which version it is, whereas if the version select dialog appears each time you click play it may make it more clear.

Just my opinion though. Anyhow major congrats for the work so far. If you could add the words "Blu-ray" and "DVD" to the predefined list as some movies I have Blu-ray and DVD version, but as you mentioned we can add these ourselves so no worries.

As a workaround for the last year I have been using both versions of a movie muxed together in one mkv file where I switch between them in video options during playback. Is there way of picking up two versions from one video file or does it only work with both being added to library.

Many thanks. Just pity it didn't make it into Leia release. Is there enough time to squeeze it in before leia final release Wink
Thanks for the comments.

I may be able to add an option in the player settings to allow user choosing be asked always if there is more than one version available for a movie.

For the BluRay and DVD, the "Standard" in fact was the BluRay when I chose them, it's should be the standard for movie now when you collect it. I nearly forgot DVD. Will add them in the list.
+1 for about having the movie select dialog appear when user clicks to play movie.
(2018-12-01, 18:01)dr88dr88 Wrote: +1 for about having the movie select dialog appear when user clicks to play movie.
 I'd agree on this. 
Additionally you might be able to attach the "extra" as well
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2018-12-01, 17:15)XODIDOX Wrote: Thanks for the comments.

I may be able to add an option in the player settings to allow user choosing be asked always if there is more than one version available for a movie.

For the BluRay and DVD, the "Standard" in fact was the BluRay when I chose them, it's should be the standard for movie now when you collect it. I nearly forgot DVD. Will add them in the list.
 Please keep settings to a bare minimum or preferably none at all. Users who have more than one version of a movie in their library are enthusiast and will always want to have the dialog to choose. Normal users will never see this so the option becomes pointless
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2018-12-01, 18:47)Martijn Wrote: lease keep settings to a bare minimum or preferably none at all. Users who have more than one version of a movie in their library are enthusiast and will always want to have the dialog to choose. Normal users will never see this so the option becomes pointless 
I encountered many cases (may be this is only common for old HongKong movies) that there are two versions of a movie released, the very old VCD/VHS version and a new REMASTERED BluRay version. The BluRay version has high quality, but some part was cut, the VCD/VHS version is complete, but low quality. I want to keep both. This is one of the reasons that I wanted to implement this feature. I choose play the BluRay versoin mostly and rarely to play the VCD/VHS version. So if no setting but just asking user each time will be annoying (for me at least). I'll add an option and enable it by default. This is what enthusiast expect, but at least give me an option to don't see it often.
Have you considered a non predefined list solution such as this? Emby Server Multi Version Support
The predefined version is just for convenient for user (input these with remote on TV is tedious), you can always define your own version.

There is no standard way to get the version from file name. Kodi core shouldn't get the version information from file name anyway. But I'll add the JSON API later so scrapper and addon can check the file name and set the version based on that with JSON API.
As I don't have permission to edit the op yet. I'll update here.

@the_bo @dr88dr88 @Martijn 

I have added the version selection dialog when playing movie with multiple versions based on feedback and enabled it by default. A setting in player settings has also been added to give user option to turn the dialog off.
(2018-12-02, 06:30)XODIDOX Wrote: As I don't have permission to edit the op yet. I'll update here.

In light of what you've contributed so far, I think we can fix that at least Wink

You should be good to go now, I've tweaked your account permissions a bit.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2018-12-02, 10:14)DarrenHill Wrote: In light of what you've contributed so far, I think we can fix that at least Wink

You should be good to go now, I've tweaked your account permissions a bit. 
  Thank you!
Fantastic feature.

Can't wait to create skin support for this and test it out! Wink
Hello @XODIDOX

I had a quick play with this, and think it is a great feature, so thanks for the effort Smile

I don't know how easy my suggestion is but I am wondering if duplicate movies could be added automatically to Version sets?

We can already find duplicate movies in the database with this query...
xml:
SELECT c00, dateadded AS DateAdded,
'Dupe Movie' AS description,
strfilename AS FILE
FROM movie_view a
JOIN (
SELECT uniqueid_value
FROM movie_view
GROUP BY uniqueid_value
HAVING COUNT(*) > 1) b ON a.uniqueid_value = b.uniqueid_value
ORDER BY strfilename ASC;

Is there some way to extend this basic query to add the duplicates to Versions? Most people will use standard naming movie-extended, movie-Directors Cut etc and it could auto fill the Version Type.

PS... Also seems like a good way to hide movies Wink
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[New Feature] Movie version1