v18 Kodi 18 crashes 2-4 seconds after startup if the network was enabled
Good Evening,

since the early alphas, also today with release candiate Kodi 18 crashes after the initial startup, if the network connection is enabled. It is 100% repeatable.
Last log shows always:

​​​​​​"ES: Exception caught while listening for socket"
Kodi has lost the connection of the event server on port 9777 before always.

Device is an Orbsmart-H1, a German variant of the Eweat R9, running Android 6.0.1 32bit API level 23, Kernel is 4.1.17-*.

https://www.orbsmart.de/produkte/orbsmart-h-01/

This box is a solid Android device, with a RDT 1294 QuadCore CPU.

Kodi 17.6. is running _rock-stable_ on it since 6 months.
Any ideas? I'm a Linux programmer, I think I can help to debug this.

I have also tried a cheap AMLogic S912 box since the earliest alphas of Kodi 18, and even with same network configuration and environment, this crash isn't present.
Only difference is that for the AMLogic S912 box the 64bit variant of Kodi is used, while for the Orbsmart-H1 I have to use the 32bit Android build of Kodi.

Any ideas? It's a strange issue, and the Ewaet R9 boxes are popular and this isn't an exotic piece of hardware... This should be fixed before the release I think...
Running now 17.6 again, have several backups... The issue is also present on a fresh clean installation. After some seconds after the start Kodi 18 crashes.
As said, if I disable Wifi on the box, the crash is gone...
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Done...

https://paste.kodi.tv/ibexinotuq.kodi

Since 20 minutes I overwrote the perfect working 17.6 (from Google PlayStore) with the 18rc apk from Kodi.tv, keeping addons installed. Had to create advancedsettings.xml to get debugging enabled, the crash comes fast so I'm unable to use the GUI for enabling it.

Yesterday I tried a fresh (vanilla) installation of 18rc also without any addons: Same crash.

Have checked the log, unfortunately I'm unable to find much inside Sad

Rolling back now 17.6 to get a working system again.
(2018-12-02, 11:07)Endur Wrote: Done...

https://paste.kodi.tv/ibexinotuq.kodi

Since 20 minutes I overwrote the perfect working 17.6 (from Google PlayStore) with the 18rc apk from Kodi.tv, keeping addons installed. Had to create advancedsettings.xml to get debugging enabled, the crash comes fast so I'm unable to use the GUI for enabling it.

Yesterday I tried a fresh (vanilla) installation of 18rc also without any addons: Same crash.

Have checked the log, unfortunately I'm unable to find much inside Sad

Rolling back now 17.6 to get a working system again.
Remove the banned Repo and try again
What do you mean with "banned repo"? The Lanik Repo which only contains cleanup scripts and isn't running over ssl? I already wrote that Kodi 18rc crashes also after a fresh install, without any external repo, so this shouldn't be a reason...
Here comes the debug log, without any installed external repos or plugins. It takes 2-4 seconds till Kodi crashed repeatable.
Got time enough to enable debugging by use of the GUI:

https://paste.kodi.tv/pecumizote.kodi

The issue is present since the earliest alphas. 
ERROR: SOCK: Error selecting socket(s)
ES: Exception caught while listening for socket

ES: UDP Event server stopped
Because 17.6 is working perfectly the error _may_ _be_ the result of changes done for the UDP event server of 18.*

Can check the diffs on Kodi Git, but this may seems waste of time, because I haven't zero overview...
strange. Network is fully up before you start kodi? Does kodi have network permissions? Can you get a logcat via adb?
(2018-12-03, 18:25)wsnipex Wrote: strange. Network is fully up before you start kodi? Does kodi have network permissions? Can you get a logcat via adb?
 Yes, it's really strange. The network is 100% up before I'll start Kodi 18rc. Network permissions are granted for Kodi 17.6 stable by the apk, may be there is an issue for 18rc... I don't think so.
Because Android itself keeps stable we don't need adb... Can make a Android log with the Logcat app. Should I do?
Same issue here on Nvidia Shield (OREO) and Kodi 18 from RC1 to latest nightly. Kodi crashes in first 5 seconds after start. When ethernet is disconnected and WiFi turned off, Kodi starts normally and works just fine, but once ethernet is plugged in while Kodi is running, Kodi crashes immediately. In Log, there is nothing usefull, since crash is not logged in, no errors, just nothing but crash.
Provide logcat
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Will do. The box has also running OpenWrt by default as a part of the firmware. However Kodi 17.6 is rock stable on it.
On a much more cheaper "Media Box" (AMLogic S912) I was able to run the early nigthlies over a long time, by use of the Kodi Updater addon, stable also, everytime without such ugly crash.

Installing Logcat right now.
The logcat, filtered by the string "kodi" is here:
https://paste.kodi.tv/alurepiyew.kodi

Full big logcat is here:
https://paste.kodi.tv/ukesajoxik.kodi

Have uninstalled 17.6, renamed Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/
before. So it's like a fresh vanilla installation of 18rc and I can easily go back to 17.6 with all of my customizing.

Will re-install 17.6 right now...

By the way the fresh installation of the 18rc apk asks for permission of gallery and some other at file system level by use of a special dialog.
But permission listing says it has access to network. May be the listing is wrong... Not sure.
The logcat is not very usefull. This may be interesting, a warning while the install of Kodi 18rc *.apk:
"W/Settings(5006): Setting install_non_market_apps has moved from android.provider.Settings.Global to android.provider.Settings.Secure, returning read-only value."

For this I found info at
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/thread...9/#content

"...The nice thing about runtime permissions is that the user is not asked for any permission when they install your application from Google Play. Instead they will be asked to approve "dangerous" permissions at runtime."

I got some requests at runtime, but not for network. It seems in fact a network permission issue for Android 6.* Sure, it's guess only.
Today I have tried a fresh install of Kodi 18 RC5.2 32bit ARM. Constant crash, can use it only with a disabled network (wifi off). Same as ever Sad

Have re-installed 17.6 from Playstore again, this is working fine Sad
Have to bug you all again... Have tested today Kodi 18.1 RC, but got the same crash as ever. The crash comes after avg. 10 seconds, it's really a frustration, have to go back to 17.6 once more Sad
Have it tried without any addons installed also...

Any hope that this will be fixed or at least inspected? As said I'm a Linux programmer (mostly C), would like to help...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 18 crashes 2-4 seconds after startup if the network was enabled0