• 10(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO get Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control working using EventGhost
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone contributing to this thread and thanks to The Dogg for his nicely done config files. I have used his as base configs and modified it to fit my needs.

For a while I have been looking for a remote that I can use that is not IR (cant stand having to point the remote at the unit). I tried using the ATI remote wonders which are RF but they dont work well in any OS other than Windows XP. I love how this PS3 remote is setup and if anyone doesnt know, all the PS3 buttons (buttons below the 'display' , 'top menu' , 'pop up menu' , 'return' and above the 'scan back' , 'play' , 'scan forward') can be setup in eventghost to preform button combination commands. For example, i have the PS button open XBMC, I also have it setup where if I press both the PS button + X (cross) button it will close XBMC. there is no limit (besides what your fingers can press) to the number of button combinations.

And note to Death-Axe, if you want to setup button commands that do an action after a button has been pressed for x number of seconds, you can do that in eventghost by adding the "Jump if long press" action which is listed under the eventghost section. this will allow you to have the button setup to do one command if pressed and if pressed for x seconds jump to another command to run.

And another note to anyone using The Dogg's config, for each of the emulate keystrokes actions I added a find window action for XBMC just before it so if a different window is in focus and I send the backspace keystroke command, eventghost will first try to find the XBMC window and only if found send the command to that window and not the window in focus. You can also play around and add other commands like bring XBMC to focus when you go to fullscreen.
Zerogoki any chance you could post your config file?
Hardware - HP Proliant MicroServer N36L 8TB / Amazon Fire TV Stick
Software - NZBget / Radarr / Sonarr / uTorrent / Plex / NZB 360

Post - HQ WWE Fanart
Sure.

PS3 Config Custom.xml

Every time I play with it I make some tweak so for those that are interested I can post updates every now and then of my newer versions. Or if there are any ideas on new on new functionality I can try and incorporate them.
Ah NM anyways heh, got it al figured out right after updating to the latest ps3 plugin with actual button names. All fell into place after. Let me know if anyone needs the config, it really is awsome ;-)
Hi I have just recently replaced my system with the asrock ion330pro running windows 7.
All works ok but for the life of me i can't get The_Dogg%20PS3%20Config-0.3.7
to work with the version of eventghost i used on windows xp.
So i upgraded EventGhost_0.3.7.r1462 and still no joy.

The only config i could find that works at all is ph_tiangco_ps3.xml but i prefer the way The_dogg did his config.
So can anybody offer some advice or insight into how i can get the dogg's last config file to work with EventGhost_0.3.7.r1462 on windows 7. as i am slowly losing my will to live.
it's either that or fork out the extra for another remote(bad idea)Huh
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
Hey guys, sorry I havent posted any updates. my batteries died after about 2 weeks and it has been bugging me that there is no way to put the remote into a sleep mode other than turning off the computer or pulling a battery out.

So I decided to do a little hardware mod to my remote so it could be as easy as flipping a switch to turn the remote on which it will auto connect to the PC and be able to turn it off so the batteries wont die as fast.

I know what you are thinking; "hey why dont you just use rechargeable batteries and just keep rotating them!". Well while I am one for having a bunch of rechargeables lying around, I am thinking what if I had some friends over and we go to watch a movie or something and one of my friends say, "hey whats up with your remote?" and I have to be like, "oh, my batteries are dead again, one sec while I go run upstairs to get new ones" or "oh, see that random rogue battery lying over there on the table, put that in the remote". Either is not cool.

So here is a simple mod that if you are not scared to break your remote and be out of 25 bucks or afraid of a little soldering, can make it so you can turn your remote on and off with a switch.

I decided to install my new switch at the bottom of the remote where the lancer is supposed to go (not sure why anyone would want to have a string on their remote, I guess you can put it on your wrist like a wii remote so you dont lose it). Anyway this spot is out of the way of your hand when you are using the remote and it is in a perfect spot so you can easily cut into the battery circuit.

Materials:
• PS3 bluetooth remote (duh)
• a 0.3A 6VDC slide DPDT switch from radio shack
• Soldering iron and solder (maybe some flux since it would make things cleaner)
• Some wires (for this I used some cat5 cable I had lying around. Cheap and works well)
• Glue gun
• general tools to pry the remote open and to widen the place we are going to install the switch

So first thing you will want to do is open the remote. while there is just one screw located under the battery cover, after you remote that you will need to use a knife or flat head screwdriver to carefully pry the remote apart past each of the snaps on both sides of the remote.

After you have the remote open you can see that we should be able to easily cut into the bottom battery connector piece without doing any crazy circuiting.

So next pull out the whole main remote circuit so you are just left with the bottom casing. Put this aside along with the top and the screw. Next you will want to take some needle nose pliers or something close to that to break off the little tab at the bottom.

Next using my handy-dandy pocket knife I broke off the inner round section where the little tab was and carved out around the area (while trying to keep it square) for the switch.

You will probably need to widen it so take your time and keep checking if the switch fits every so often so you dont make it too wide.

Once we have the area opened and the switch fits, next we will make the "circuit". pull out some wire cutters to cut the metal battery clip in the middle and then taking your needle nose pliers bend the pins back so they can be ready for soldering.

Taking your wires, solder a wire on to each end of the battery clip pin (I left the pieces in the remote so it would be easy to hold it in place). Then take your switch and solder the other ends to switch. Remember the switch works like this, the center pin on either side is the neutral pin so you will need to use this and either the left or right side (depending on which side you want to be the ON side).

After you have that connected, test your remote before going any further! pop some batteries in there and see if it works. flip the switch and see if it turns off (eventghost should note the disconection). then flip the switch back on and see it reconnect. If you got this far then woot you're almost done. Just to note, if you are cautious and worried about having the pins on the switch connecting, you can take some electrical tape and wrap it around one of the pins to help prevent a short which would render this whole project useless.
So now that we have it all working the next step would be to take your glue gun and lay down a nice layer of glue to hold the metal battery clips (since you cut them) and the switch in place. Remember to hold the clips and switch down while gluing so nothing pops out of place at this point.

Once the glue cools and you confirm that everything is still in place, try just putting the top cover back on. We are checking to see if we need to cut off some of the glue around the snaps so the cover will close. Using an ol' faithful multipurpose pocket knife should do the trick in trimming away glue so the whole thing will close.

After you got it to where it can close, put the remote circuit back in and you now should have a working PS3 bluetooth remote with power switch!

Now I kind of rushed this so I had a few mistakes here and there (sorry I was watching my kid while doing it) but if you take your time you could probably have it looking professional and should still only take about an hour or so. If you want to see all the pictures I took during this project visit my album:
http://s745.photobucket.com/albums/xx93/zerogoki2505

Let me know what you think or if you have any other ideas!

OH I forgot to add that since eventghost sees disconnect the remote as an action (PS3.Stopped), you can program a function to flipping the remote off, like maybe have it closing XBMC when the remote is flipped off. Unfortunately turning the remote on has a generic system.deviceAttached command so you might not be able to use this since anything even as plugging in an external HD will trigger this action.
Hi, this is my first time posting on these forums. I recently discovered XBMC and I really like it so far.

So, I want to use my PS3 BD Remote with xbmc but I can't get EventGhost working with it. My PC recognizes the remote correctly but when I press a button while I run EvenGhost the following error appears:

Exception in thread \\?\hid#{00001124-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}_vid&0002054c_pid&0306#9&29a77df&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}:
HID.Enter
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "threading.pyc", line 525, in __bootstrap_inner
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\plugins\PS3\__init__.py", line 1059, in run
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\plugins\PS3\__init__.py", line 779, in __init__
File "threading.pyc", line 662, in name
AssertionError: Thread.__init__() not called

After that no other keys do anything until I reboot EventGhost. I use the latest version of it (0.3.7.r1462). Thanks for the help.
Hi. You can disable remote. Hold on, start+enter keys.
DAMM Wrote:Hi. You can disable remote. Hold on, start+enter keys.

holding start+enter is what you do to start the pairing process on the remote. You can do that but if something else picks up the pairing signal it probably wont connect to your PC again until you redo the pairing connection with the computer.

Xelotath, not sure what that error is about. I would try to use eventghost version 0.3.7.r1436 instead and see if that fixes your problem. Also, I just followed The_Dogg's instructions/files he used back on page 11 (comment 115).
Thanks a lot, it now works perfectly with the older version.
Hi guys, just got an asrock 330 nettop and I am trying to pair my ps3 remote with windows 7 home prtemium. doesn't seem to be working. Using the same usb dongle as I used in xp on my other pc.
Zerogoki Wrote:holding start+enter is what you do to start the pairing process on the remote. You can do that but if something else picks up the pairing signal it probably wont connect to your PC again until you redo the pairing connection with the computer.

Xelotath, not sure what that error is about. I would try to use eventghost version 0.3.7.r1436 instead and see if that fixes your problem. Also, I just followed The_Dogg's instructions/files he used back on page 11 (comment 115).
I had the exact same problem , the solution i found was to update the ps3 plugin in you can find this in my dropbox http://db.tt/nZNiSO just unzip it and copy the __init__.py file to programfiles/eventghost/plugins/PS3 and overwrite the existing one.
then restart eventghos and you should be good to goSmile
Death-Axe Wrote:Hi guys, just got an asrock 330 nettop and I am trying to pair my ps3 remote with windows 7 home prtemium. doesn't seem to be working. Using the same usb dongle as I used in xp on my other pc.
I have the exact same setup as you and i understand the frustration, i got mine working using just microsofts own bluetooth stack, so it can be done. the way i did it was to reinstall win7 with the bluetooth plugged in and it set it up automatically.
Then asked windows to add new device hit start and enter on your remote and keep them pressed untill windows finds the device, it should then ask how you want to pair, tell it to pair without a password and your good to goSmile hope this helps you out
got a belkin adapter, works fine yey!
Zerogoki Wrote:Sure.

PS3 Config Custom.xml

Every time I play with it I make some tweak so for those that are interested I can post updates every now and then of my newer versions. Or if there are any ideas on new on new functionality I can try and incorporate them.

Just wanted to say thanks Zerogoki! With repeated key press and everything, which I could'nt quite figure out. Again, thanks a lot! Big Grin

Regards

Tommy
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO get Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control working using EventGhost2