Feature suggestion for 3.5.0 - Jump to Letter
I coded up another feature suggestion, the ability to jump to a specific letter in a media list.

It is for all media lists as long as the list is being sorted by name or title.

Some lists can get very large, for example Actors. If you are scraping all actors for every media file this list can be thousands of lines long for even just a few pieces of media.  This feature would give us the ability to skip right to the letter you want and save us from needing to scroll forever or even page down hundreds of times.

It would normally be hidden and be placed to the right of the current scrollbar, so pressing to the right would bring up the scrollbar and pressing one more time would bring up the menu in example below.

Pressing select jumps straight to the first entry in the list beginning with the selected letter. 

Thoughts?
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
Looks good, and I don't have any particular issue with including this, but.. how does this work for languages other than English?
(2018-12-06, 02:18)jingai Wrote: Looks good, and I don't have any particular issue with including this, but.. how does this work for languages other than English?
 True, I'll look into it.

EDIT:

Basically, it works the same in any language that Metropolis can display in. It only uses the normal 26 letters in English but works the same in all languages with those letters. No umlauts or tildes, but it will work. 

Speaking of which, we need to look into some fonts that can display some of the more exotic languages like Tamil and Simplified Chinese.
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
Not too worried about the more exotic languages, but would like it to work with what we can represent currently.  If that's the case, then I'm OK with it.
Doesn't the normal <SHIFT>+<LETTER> work?

How is this new feature different?

I usually use your Metropolis skin on v17.6 - all down to looks and content.  And when I am on the page listing 500 odd films I just hold <SHIFT><S> and it jumps to the films starting with S.

Or is that because I keep most of my screen in some kind of alphabetical order?  I notice the example screenshot above has a chaotically ordered list.
(2018-12-08, 14:25)BatterPudding Wrote: Doesn't the normal <SHIFT>+<LETTER> work?

No letters on a remote?
I use something similar in a custom dialog in confluence (not nearly as pretty as this) - if I'm using a keyboard or Harmony (ie with numbers) I never use it.  With a small remote (eg fire stick) it gets plenty of use.
(2018-12-08, 14:25)BatterPudding Wrote: Doesn't the normal <SHIFT>+<LETTER> work?

I usually use your Metropolis skin on v17.6 - all down to looks and content.  And when I am on the page listing 500 odd films I just hold <SHIFT><S> and it jumps to the films starting with S.

Or is that because I keep most of my screen in some kind of alphabetical order?  I notice the example screenshot above has a chaotically ordered list.
 A lot of people, myself included, use Kodi pretty much exclusively on TVs with only a remote.

The example was sorted by time for something else and was just meant to show the letter menu, in fact the letter menu will not even show up unless sorted alphabetically in future updates.

Like I said before something like the Actors list can get huge (like 40,000 entries huge), and when you are trying to get to Mike Myers in a list of 40,000 with only a remote that would equal 1,600 page downs or holding the page down button down for a bit, this makes those tasks easier.

I don't use Kodi on a computer other than to write and test Metropolis, when I occasionally do want to find a piece of media and watch it on the computer I use Agent Ransack to search for it.
(2018-12-08, 16:11)trogggy Wrote:

No letters on a remote? 
Aha - brain in gear and now I get it Wink

I also missed the A-Z on the right in the screenshot.  Can spot it now.

I use a big screen TV for my KODI too, but also have a small keyboard attached.
This would be a very welcome tweak: long lists can be cumbersome to navigate on a remote control without alphanumeric capabilities.
Has this being implemented?
I read that it could, but I'm not in to coding :-(
https://github.com/kodi-community-addons...habet-Jump
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
(2019-12-27, 11:43)pettergulbra Wrote: Has this being implemented?
I read that it could, but I'm not in to coding :-(
https://github.com/kodi-community-addons...habet-Jump

It's been in the beta version for a year.
Thanks, se what I can find out.
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Feature suggestion for 3.5.0 - Jump to Letter0