Solved Kodi 18 Nightly - Crashing and loosing all settings
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am using kodi 18 nightly, on Ubuntu Bionic.

About once a week, it crashes , and i have to delete /home/myuser/.kodi/userdata/profiles.xml or kodi wont start again.

After doing that, all my settings in kodi are lost, it does not matter if i save profiles.xml and copy it back, all settings are still lost.

I understand i am using a developer  version of kodi, and that it will have problems, so i guess what i am asking for is :

Can i save my kodi settings somehow? so that if it crashes, i can quickly get my settings back?

Br
Patric
I'm using Kodi RC2 on an Ubuntu 16.04 setup, and I have no such problems. I'm surprised a 18.04 setup would have such different behavior.
Can we just start with you providing us a full debug log (wiki), so we can perhaps spot some initial problems?
(2018-12-08, 13:13)Klojum Wrote: I'm using Kodi RC2 on an Ubuntu 16.04 setup, and I have no such problems. I'm surprised a 18.04 setup would have such different behavior.
Can we just start with you providing us a full debug log (wiki), so we can perhaps spot some initial problems?

Hi,

Dont have access to my system atm to get a log, will upload later.

But is there an easy way to save the settings?
(2018-12-08, 15:44)mrpg Wrote:
(2018-12-08, 13:13)Klojum Wrote: I'm using Kodi RC2 on an Ubuntu 16.04 setup, and I have no such problems. I'm surprised a 18.04 setup would have such different behavior.

Hi,

Dont have access to my system atm to get a log, will upload later.

But is there an easy way to save the settings? 
I'll bump this thread a bit , as i am still having crashes weekly, and all my settings are lost, like skip steps, sound device used , dvd region, all of it.

Is there a file i can backup that contains these settings? , so i can easily copy it back when the settings are lost?

Many thanks in advanced
Br
Patric
Start with posting your crashlog, please. Without additional information a bump is useless.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-05-30, 11:56)fritsch Wrote: Start with posting your crashlog, please. Without additional information a bump is useless.

Hi,

But i only want to know how i can save my settings, i.e i don't mind that it crashes, i am using a nightly build and crashes happens.

I only want to know how i can save my settings so i can quickly use my kodi again (i am away a lot for work, and need to fix kodi for my wife remotely)

Br
Patric
1) Stop kodi
2) cp -R ~/.kodi ~/mykodi-backup

In case of restore:
1) rm -rf ~/.kodi
2) cp -R ~/mykodi-backup ~/.kodi

Backup often, backup early
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-05-30, 13:29)fritsch Wrote: 1) Stop kodi
2) cp -R ~/.kodi ~/mykodi-backup

In case of restore:
1) rm -rf ~/.kodi
2) cp -R ~/mykodi-backup ~/.kodi

Backup often, backup early
Can it be narrowed down a bit? or does every folder under .kodi need to be backed up?

excluding the temp folder (which is huge because of debug logs) my kodi dir is 19gb
Best Regards
Patric
The issue is that crashes shouldn't happen (even on nightlies), and when they do, you shouldn't lose your data. Kodi developers are trying to see your logs so they can hopefully find out what is causing the crash and potentially what is causing your profile to lose data.

Without knowing what in your profile is getting screwed up, it's hard to know what you should back up and restore and the simple answer is to just say backup everything and restore everything.
Hi i know everyone is trying to help, but where kodi settings are saved should be documented somewhere? Or is it randomly scattered around in the .kodi folder? Normally in most apps you have one or two files that contains most settings.
Normally users post their logfile and the root-cause can be identified and fixed.

To answer your question: This is not the case here. Kodi has guisettings and others in xml format and a whole of databases for video / audio / whatever to store meta information. Additionally there is a addon database referencing a lot of local installed addons.

Means: copy the whole folder, remove your thumb caches.
(2019-05-31, 08:08)mrpg Wrote: Hi i know everyone is trying to help, but where kodi settings are saved should be documented somewhere? Or is it randomly scattered around in the .kodi folder? Normally in most apps you have one or two files that contains most settings.

I'm just trying to figure out why you're so reluctant to post your logs. Is it because you're using banned addons? Crashing should not be expected on kodi, even when using nightlies. And the point in using nightlies is to help with development of kodi, so when crashes or other issues occur, they should be brought up to see if it's and issue with kodi or something else.

As fritsch mentioned, there's settings all over the .kodi/ folder. You have individual databases for TV Shows, Movies, Music, addons, etc. Each addon stores its own settings and those are all in different locations. Each skin stores their own settings in their own location, and you have the overall gui settings that has its own location.

If you want to back up all your settings, you're probably looking at a ton of files. On a relatively basic install with minimal addons, you're probably looking at around 50 xml files you'd need to back up. Plus you'll have your databases. If you start adding a bunch of addons or skins, the xml count can easily go into the hundreds.
Ok let me ask it in a different manner,

Which file contains the settings for :

Which dvd region i am in?
Skip steps back and forth (10sec/30sec etc)
Which sound card is used in kodi?

If i post a debug log , i will get suggestions on how i fix the crash, not how i save settings, which is the only thing i am after.

Best regards
Patric
guisettings.xml
(2019-06-01, 11:39)fritsch Wrote: guisettings.xml

Perfect! , thank you so much!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 18 Nightly - Crashing and loosing all settings0