stream pc-desktop with vlc to kodi on a raspberry pi
I'm lost in options and need help.
I want to stream my pc-desktopscreen with VLC to Kodi which is installed on a Raspberry Pi. I want to watch this stream live. Both are on the same network, and connected to this network by cable.

So, on my pc with Windows 10 I open VLC-> choose stream -> choose desktop-> but then..? I need to choose a target... which one should I choose? My options are:
file
http
ms-wsmp
rtsp
rtp mpeg transport system
rtp audio video profile
udp
icecast?

And question 2: How do I open the stream with Kodi on my Raspberry pi ? Do I choose Upnp, airplay, samba?
Kodi != VLC
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
(2018-12-09, 01:42)noobgirl Wrote: I want to stream my pc-desktopscreen with VLC to Kodi which is installed on a Raspberry Pi.
Just activate sharing of your video files on your Windows PC, and have the RPi with Kodi access the videos via Samba.
Any full-screen mirroring or RDP attempts while also 'watch/stream videos' are ludicrous. Don't compare a $35 kid's toy with a full-blown PC.
What you are trying to do are not achievable with either just VLC or Kodi. What you want is a remote desktop program/protocol. Search the web for RDP or VNC, and configure it on both your PC and Raspberry Pi. Note that most of this protocols are not made for video streaming. If what you want is to stream video, search the web for Parsec, works really well for video and game streaming on a Raspberry Pi 3.
Moonlight add-on (= Gamestream) might also be an option if you happen to have a NVIDIA GPU in your desktop PC

also, if you really only want to see/mirror your desktop but not control it, select any of the streaming option VLC offers (maybe rtsp or udp), create a txt file with the suffix ".strm" and add the URL of the VLC stream in there. Then open this strm file in KODI on your PI (should work)
Moonlight/Gamestream is only for games and with Steam. And with VLC you can only see the desktop and not control it.

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed that you only want to stream your desktop and not control it. As da-anda said, VLC + Kodi should do the work for you.
you can also stream you desktop via GameStream if you add a certain exe file to your game list (just google it, don't recall it's name). I do this for over a year now and it works just fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
stream pc-desktop with vlc to kodi on a raspberry pi0