freeze on Exit 'Ubuntu'
I'm having freezing issues as well on Kodi, Ubuntu 18.10. It works currently on Ubuntu 18.04. It takes me forever to figure out the process id of this thing and try to kill, then kill -9, all the times, and then Kodi resets to English when I restart it because it didn't close properly and cannot preserve its settings. I'm really annoyed and tired of all these issues. Each and every time I try to do something on Ubuntu related to multimedia (music or video playback, YouTube), I'm getting random issues.
Moved from windows thread to the appropriate area to receive max eyeballs. [PatK] Don't duplicate post.
(2018-12-08, 22:13)EricBuist Wrote: I'm having freezing issues as well on Kodi, Ubuntu 18.10. It works currently on Ubuntu 18.04.
I had freezes when videos were fully played and Kodi should have returned to the main screen, but didn't. This happened from some beta build upto RC1 on Ubuntu 16.04 on a Core2duo machine, but didn't have them on a 16.04 old i3 machine (Ivy bridge).

Now with RC2, Kodi on the laptop seems to be more disciplined, and certain hiccups occur only once in a while.

(2018-12-08, 22:13)EricBuist Wrote: It takes me forever to figure out the process id of this thing and try to kill, then kill -9, all the times,
I have this in my ~/.profile file, just in case. A simply command from the command line works for me.
alias kkodi='killall -9 kodi.bin'
we need a Debug Log
Here is one: https://paste.kodi.tv/avijibukiv.kodi
Kodi froze on me yesterday just after it finished playing an album.
It did that a couple of times, and sometimes freezes on exit.
This is the Kodi 17.6 provided by Ubuntu's repository. On my main PC, I run Ubuntu 18.10.
I checked and my HTPC is running the same Kodi 17.6 but it comes from the Kodi's PPA. My HTPC is running Ubuntu 18.04 and showed no Kodi issues (for now at least).
I tried to install the PPA version but it is not available as a Release on Ubuntu 18.10; need to fallback on a nightly or something.
So is it because there is no stable version of Kodi yet for Ubuntu 18.10?
yes, there is no official v17 for ubuntu 18.10, use unstable ppa untill release
"Kodi from debian" as provided by the ubuntu repos is not supported here.
(2018-12-08, 22:13)EricBuist Wrote: It takes me forever to figure out the process id of this thing and try to kill, then kill -9, all the times,
What command are you using to find the PID? "pgrep -l kodi" returns the PIDs of the binary and the wrapper. If you're launching it as a background job, then the PID will usually be written somewhere - most control scripts use this as a method of process tracking.
(2018-12-09, 05:19)Klojum Wrote: I have this in my ~/.profile file, just in case. A simply command from the command line works for me.
alias kkodi='killall -9 kodi.bin' 
Can I just point out that a SIGKILL (signal 9) is the worst to use, and runs the risk of leaving detritus.

Try to use 15 (SIGTERM) where possible, working your way up through levels if a normal 15 doesn't do the trick.
What hardware are you using?  It took a bit of fiddling around with adding the right PPA and such, but I got Kodi 18 working on Ubuntu 18.10 and it's been great so far.  I'm using a Ryzen 2400G with the onboard video, and Kodi is running with VAAPI hardware decoding.

After updating the kernel to 4.19.9, I had to install a package called haveged.  Otherwise the system would freeze for several minutes on every boot.  Other than that, it just works on the stock install.  No added video drivers or anything.
@Maxxarcade the problem which was solved by installing haveged should not be related to the problem the OP has.

Please read this about the "haveged" problem: https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/07/ub...auses.html

Similar things might still be present on 18.10
(2018-12-15, 23:03)Preacher Wrote: "pgrep -l kodi"
That works well, if you know how the process is called and I agree, that it's easy to guess Wink .  Another way around might be ps -u <username> which simply lists all current processes with their repective IDs. As always...many ways lead to Rome Wink
(2018-12-08, 22:13)EricBuist Wrote: I'm having freezing issues as well on Kodi, Ubuntu 18.10. It works currently on Ubuntu 18.04. It takes me forever to figure out the process id of this thing and try to kill, then kill -9, all the times, and then Kodi resets to English when I restart it because it didn't close properly and cannot preserve its settings. I'm really annoyed and tired of all these issues. Each and every time I try to do something on Ubuntu related to multimedia (music or video playback, YouTube), I'm getting random issues.

I can relate, using an offshoot of Ubuntu known as ZORIN OS.  It was designed for user friendliness and does not ship with KODI.  It was so user-friendly that I had to hunt through 3 layers of menus to find a console.  I decided to install KDE full to get to a menu structure I found a little more developer friendly.  SDDM (Simple Desktop Display Manager) was installed and it started with KODI.  Exiting KODI brought me back to the ZORIN login and then KODI would start again, unless it hung.  I finally realized I could bypass KODI and start with KDE-Plasma and did so.  KODI seems like a wonderful idea for some of my friends, but not for me.  Anyway, the hang is verified for the latest update of ZORIN OS (Ubuntu variant).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
freeze on Exit 'Ubuntu'0