Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi TV and wireless speakers
I am thinking to buy a Xiaomi Mi TV, but my questions probably apply also the Mi Box, which seem to be popular among Kodi users.

I prefer not to have any cables (except power), so would like to find a way to connect speakers wireless to my Mi TV / Box. Is this possible?

If not possible, would an Apple TV be a game changer as I can connect speakers via airplay-2. Not sure though whether video and audio will be in-sync?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2018-12-11, 05:11)steve1977 Wrote: I am thinking to buy a Xiaomi Mi TV, but my questions probably apply also the Mi Box, which seem to be popular among Kodi users.

I prefer not to have any cables (except power), so would like to find a way to connect speakers wireless to my Mi TV / Box. Is this possible?

If not possible, would an Apple TV be a game changer as I can connect speakers via airplay-2. Not sure though whether video and audio will be in-sync?

Did a bit of a test and Bluetooth paired my Yamaha AVR to the Mi Box.
Rebooted and streamed with the Netflix App and it was all working fine.

Interestingly the Yamaha reported 2.0CH AAC audio when using BT.

Great, thanks! Any thoughts how this compares if you were to do the same with an ATV via airplay-2?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
Yes I've had AirPlay2 Netflix audio streaming from my Apple TV 4K to an 2012 Airport Express in the back room.
Only had headphones plugged into it's 3.5mm Analog/TOSLINK audio port and that works as well.

I was really surprised the 2012 Airport Express even got a Airplay2 Firmware update from Apple. Amazing support for such old tech !

Annoyingly Yamaha are yet to add Airplay2 support. They still use the older AirPlay protocol.

Also tried with video? Will this work and is it fully in-sync?

Did you try with a pair of homepods (stereo) and can you then still add more airplay speakers in other rooms.
(2018-12-13, 08:26)steve1977 Wrote: Also tried with video? Will this work and is it fully in-sync?

Did you try with a pair of homepods (stereo) and can you then still add more airplay speakers in other rooms.

I do not have any other Airplay2 receivers or Homepods to test. Maybe read articles like this:

How to set up Apple HomePod stereo and multi-room modes (click)

Looks like you can Add more than one Airplay2 compatible speaker system.

Sounds like a really expensive way to setup audio to be honest and even then you will not be getting greater than 2.0 Channels of audio, software processed by the HomePods to reflect sound all over the place.

A minimal Airplay2 / Bluetooth compatible soundbar with an optional Subwoofer would both sound better and be cheaper I would think.
Something like the Sonos Beam:
https://www.sonos.com/en-au/shop/beam.html
https://www.apple.com/ios/home/accessories/

or the Denon HEOS HomeCinema HS2:
https://usa.denon.com/us/heos/heoshomecinemahs2

Thanks, reads very good. Seems two homepods may be ideal for what I am trying to achieve. A pity that Apple does not allow stereo-pairing for 3rd party speakers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi TV and wireless speakers0