Odd black screen hangup during boot, various distros, (not Kodi specific)
I wasn't sure if this should be in off-topic or Linux, since it's not really related to Kodi itself.  But I'm having this issue on both of my HTPC's and wasn't sure where to go for help.

The problem is that during bootup, the screen will go black (Manjaro) or hang at the splash screen (Ubuntu) and the system will just sit there.  Usually If I press Esc a couple times, the desktop will load right away.  If Esc doesn't work, I can press CTRL-ALT-F2 to bring up the login prompt.  But as soon as I start typing, the desktop appears.

Both HTPC's are using the integrated video.  One is a Core i5-3330, and the other is a new Ryzen 2400G.  It also happens on both my projector and a PC monitor.

One thing I did notice, is that using VGA instead of HDMI or DVI seems to fix it, or at least improve it.  Perhaps it's something to do with DRM/HDCP, since Intel and AMD both use VA-API/Mesa?
How about posting dmesg | pastebinig and journalctl -a after such a boot?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-12-12, 08:34)fritsch Wrote: How about posting dmesg | pastebinig and journalctl -a after such a boot?
 I'll try that.  I'm somewhat familiar with Linux, but I've never had to dig into the logging and such.  Those commands are new to me :-)
I wasn't able to paste any logs due to time constraints.  However I had a look a dmesg on the Manjaro system, and it seems to be hanging at "random: crng init done".  I also found that moving/clicking the mouse or pressing any keys will un-freeze the system.  

A bit of reading tells me that this is some sort of bug with the random number generator in newer kernels?  Perhaps this is why I never had any issues with Linux Mint on the old hardware, since it was using Kernel 4.15.

The Manjaro system I tested was my old HTPC hardware with a fresh install and XFCE desktop.  But I'm pretty sure this is what's going on with Ubuntu 18.10 on my new hardware as well.  The only difference is that it hangs at the Ubuntu splash screen with the progress dots, while Manjaro simply stays black.
(2018-12-13, 00:39)Maxxarcade Wrote: I wasn't able to paste any logs due to time constraints.
Tomorrow will be fine too Smile
I got it working after installing haveged.  Currently I'm using the 4.19.9 kernel on Ubuntu 18.10.  Kodi 18 runs awesome on it so far, and I'm looking forward to the stable release!

Not sure what to think of Ubuntu's Gnome interface though.  I might use a spare SSD and try a different distro, now that I have an idea how to make it boot properly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Odd black screen hangup during boot, various distros, (not Kodi specific)0