Stable release for Lubuntu 18.0 and transition from unstable to stable
Hi,

I've got Lubuntu 18.10 Cosmic and have installed Kodi (v18.0) via the unstable PPA (ppa:team-xbmc/unstable) since there is no stable release yet for Cosmic. Is there a rough estimate on when a stable build for Cosmic might be available on this PPA? I presume this depends Kodi v18.0 transitioning from beta to final release. Is my understanding correct?

Also, how would I go about transitioning from unstable back to stable once it's available? Would I just change the PPA over then let 'apt update/upgrade' do its thing, or is some particular process required (or desirable) to avoid going back versions etc?

Cheers,

Alistair Witt
(2018-12-12, 01:07)alistairwitt Wrote: Is there a rough estimate on when a stable build for Cosmic might be available on this PPA? I presume this depends Kodi v18.0 transitioning from beta to final release. Is my understanding correct?
We're in the Release Candidate series now, so we're getting close.
However, no ETA/date has been set.

(2018-12-12, 01:07)alistairwitt Wrote: how would I go about transitioning from unstable back to stable once it's available?
Instructions on how to upgrade/downgrade/reinstall can be found in Kodi's Linux install guide.
(2018-12-12, 02:20)Klojum Wrote:
(2018-12-12, 01:07)alistairwitt Wrote: Is there a rough estimate on when a stable build for Cosmic might be available on this PPA? I presume this depends Kodi v18.0 transitioning from beta to final release. Is my understanding correct?
We're in the Release Candidate series now, so we're getting close.
However, no ETA/date has been set.
(2018-12-12, 01:07)alistairwitt Wrote: how would I go about transitioning from unstable back to stable once it's available?
Instructions on how to upgrade/downgrade/reinstall can be found in Kodi's Linux install guide.  
Thanks for the fast reply! Does Release Candidate series typically mean weeks, months or years? I'm not sure on how this cycle typically works for Kodi. I know I can't hold the development team to specific times, and I'm grateful for the hard work being done. Sorry, I missed section 1.4 in your link when I previously checked that page. Just what I need, thanks.

Cheers,

Alistair
The usual road in development stages to a new stable release is Alpha - Beta - RC - Stable. So we're still ironing out as many bumps as we can. It's usually a couple of weeks the closer we get to the end, but things can still vary a lot as per the (non-)availability of Kodi developers because of 'Real Life', as well as the nature and complexity of the remaining bugs.
(2018-12-12, 02:49)Klojum Wrote: The usual road in development stages to a new stable release is Alpha - Beta - RC - Stable. So we're still ironing out as many bumps as we can. It's usually a couple of weeks the closer we get to the end, but things can still vary a lot as per the (non-)availability of Kodi developers because of 'Real Life', as well as the nature and complexity of the remaining bugs.
Good to understand how this works, thanks very much!
And I highly guess, if Kodi 18 final will be released, you will have to switch the ppa again to: ppa:team-xbmc/ppa

That ppa will then have a version for Cosmic.

Maybe @wsnipex could confirm.

The unstable ppa will contain K19 alphas/betas/RCs then
(2018-12-12, 13:28)DaVu Wrote: And I highly guess, if Kodi 18 final will be released, you will have to switch the ppa again to: ppa:team-xbmc/ppa

That ppa will then have a version for Cosmic.

Maybe @wsnipex could confirm.

The unstable ppa will contain K19 alphas/betas/RCs then
Makes sense, thanks!
the unstable ppa will also get the kodi v18 final release, but switching to stable might be prefered for users that want to stick to stable.
(2018-12-14, 17:33)wsnipex Wrote: the unstable ppa will also get the kodi v18 final release, but switching to stable might be prefered for users that want to stick to stable.

Cool. Beyond the short term, stable operation is my plan so this will work well. Thanks all for your help.

Alistair

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stable release for Lubuntu 18.0 and transition from unstable to stable0