AirPlay support is currently broken for a modern iOS [ w/ ipad, iphone6s, iphonex ]
Hi,

AFAICT, AirPlay is currently broken out of the box for recent iOS and Kodi combinations.
Easy reproduction steps:

1) Using ubuntu 18.04
2) Installed kodi w/ apt-get (17.6 Debian package version: 2:17.6+dfsg1-1ubuntu1)
3) Enabled zeroconf in kodi
4) Enabled airplay but disabled photo sharing in kodi

Go to podcasts app on iphone6s, iphonex, or on ipad, both iOS 12.1.1, kodi device does not show up on airplay menu.

I tried restarting kodi and the whole machine, I tried setting a password for airplay in kodi as well, none of this helped.
This seems consistent with the other threads I've found from the past few years, it seems it AirPlay never works for some people even when they follow these steps.

Can anyone get airplay to work on Ununtu using the reproduction steps above? If no, I vote to remove the AirPlay option so users aren't sinking time into this.
You should try with iOS music app. Works for me here in Ubuntu 18.04
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
That music application does not work either. The application being used on iOS doesn't matter, airplay is a shared service on iOS, it's not an application specific thing that works differently for each app.

If you're just running this on a machine you've been installing stuff and changing the configuration on and it works then that would point to some manual action you've taken that is not captured by the install script in the .deb file. To reproduce, follow my instructions - BUT you need to create a fresh ubuntu installation in a VM, apt-get install kodi I guarantee it will not work. Likely there's a discovery service like avahi that's not getting started/configured by the kodi installer (dunno what the airplay support in kodi is made of, so can't say exactly what). If it's really working for you, then what ever is missing should jump out at you - and if not, you can compare your working machine to the non-working one.

For a point of comparision, sharipoint works flawlessly - the airplay device appears on the iOS side right away, and audio can be played without issue.
*  https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync
Well you could start with a debug log (wiki) and have AirTunes component logging enabled.

And no - those apps are behaving differently. Airplay is not the easy world you think of.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Sigh - OK, this is exactly what I thought I was dealing with. You didn't attempt a reproduction, and all I've seen you do is behave petulantly to everyone who has told you that your AirPlay support does not work.  I'm going to use shari-port instead since it works for what I need, and is written by real adults!

You should mark the AirPlay support as broken, won't fix.
Not sure why you think how you think. But I certainly won’t mark a feature as broken that works for most situations I came across.

You expect me to invest my non-available free time around Christmas instead of at least providing a log file. If every user would think that way I would miss seeing my son grow up.

I am telling you I am using a fresh installed Ubuntu 18.04 - installed Kodi and I have it as airplay target on my iPhone. I have issues with ipv6 though - but this is at a later stage.

So indeed I need to see your debug log (wiki) to see if the zeroconf announcements are working correctly on your system.

Last but not least - accusing me of “won’t” fix is unfair at least. Once I had an issue that was reproducible I usually at least try to do something about it. Sometimes I even fixed things.

Whatever. You seem to be in a bad mood and maybe I shouldn’t let you drag me down.
To be complete - I installed Kodi from our PPA. Not sure if you did the same seeing that you have “Debian” in your package name. I know there is a special Debian version of Kodi which is supported by the Debian guys though because they bundle Kodi with non-supported ffmpef versions and something like that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AirPlay support is currently broken for a modern iOS [ w/ ipad, iphone6s, iphonex ]0