Upgrading OLD skin
Hopefully, this will be an easy answer. I've been using Metropolis for a few years and got interested in modding it. I've been making mods to it for two years or so. I'm still running Kodi 15.2 because I don't want to lose the stuff I've done. I'm especially interested in the 64-bit version of Kodi coming with v18 and would like to upgrade at that time. I've tried upgrading before, but the new install always tells me that the skin I use (MetroMod) is not compatible with the new Kodi version. It says that about Metropolis too.

I know enough about skinning to know I don't want to try to recreate all the mods I made again, so is there an "easy" way to keep my skin and still upgrade to Kodi 18?

Here's a screen or two for those who want to see the stuff I've done. A lot of it is cobbled together so I have never had any plans to release it, but here it is:
start by changing the xbmc.gui requirement to 5.14.0 in your addon.xml file

next, go through these threads and update your skin accordingly:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231270
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=250862
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=298565

not everything in those threads is mandatory (such as new functionality), but quite a few items are required to make your skin run properly.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Thanks, ronie! Lots to get through there, but hopefully, it will work. I never thought I'd get emotionally attached to a Kodi skin, lol!
Most of your old skin won't work.

For instance, all of the String. commands were broken in Kodi 18.  If you'd like an idea of how many things across how many files just look to my commits.  113 changed files with 3,722 additions and 2,180 deletions. Those are from 17 to 18.
You will need to make just about all of the changes to have it work correctly (if your mods were on a version from 17).
It would be easier to take your mods and do a differential against a pure version of Metropolis from the same one you originally modified (on version 15) and then work out what changes you made, then try to apply them to the newest version I released.

That is the problem with making extensive mods on an existing skin, they will only work on the Kodi version you did them on unless you apply the updates as the skin does.

The link I provided will show all the updates From 17 to 18, but you will need to do the same for 15 to 16, 16 to 17, and then those I provided. I advise doing the first method if your changes don't span too many files.
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
I thought this would be the case... The more I read, both from ronie's post and yours, the more I think I'm just fine where I am. I may, at some point, move on to a more advanced version of Kodi, but for now, yikes!, I'm good. 15.2 it is! Thanks for all your help and have a great holiday season!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrading OLD skin0