Stream quality in Kodi bad
Hi. From what I have read the only profile that works in Kodi is HTSP. Not sure if its a backend or frontend setting but the quality is much worse than when I use the PASS profile through VLC.

Does anyone know if I can make the quality better?
(2018-12-21, 17:03)Chris230291 Wrote: Hi. From what I have read the only profile that works in Kodi is HTSP. Not sure if its a backend or frontend setting but the quality is much worse than when I use the PASS profile through VLC.

The standard Kodi+TVHeadend http set-up is lossless with no transcoding, just like passthrough.  Some ARM platforms have lousy quality deinterlacers (or don't deinterlace at all).

What platform are you running Kodi on, and what format is your TV broadcast in?  

Are you running VLC on the same platform as you are running Kodi?
Did you try the ffpmeg trick ? 
Really improved the quality for me.
What exactly is the ffmpeg trick? Smile
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
take a look at this thread : https://tvheadend.org/boards/4/topics/29249
(2019-01-06, 16:52)MrPotatoe Wrote: take a look at this thread : https://tvheadend.org/boards/4/topics/29249
 Isn't that for IPTV sources in TV Headend rather than local DVB-T/S/C stuff that many of us use TV Headend for?
(2019-01-06, 18:27)noggin Wrote:
(2019-01-06, 16:52)MrPotatoe Wrote: take a look at this thread : https://tvheadend.org/boards/4/topics/29249
 Isn't that for IPTV sources in TV Headend rather than local DVB-T/S/C stuff that many of us use TV Headend for? 
 You are right ! I don't know why but I assumed Chris needed better quality for iptv networking.
Probably because I never experienced quality issue with DVB but a lot with iptv...
(2018-12-29, 16:55)noggin Wrote:
(2018-12-21, 17:03)Chris230291 Wrote: Hi. From what I have read the only profile that works in Kodi is HTSP. Not sure if its a backend or frontend setting but the quality is much worse than when I use the PASS profile through VLC.

The standard Kodi+TVHeadend http set-up is lossless with no transcoding, just like passthrough.  Some ARM platforms have lousy quality deinterlacers (or don't deinterlace at all).

Hi. Thanks for the reply
VLC reports 1920x1080 1920x1088 (buffer) h264 MPEG-4 25 fps
The client I am using is Windows.
I just updated Kodi to Leia and now it is even worse... looks like a deinterlacing problem.

Chris
(2019-03-27, 15:56)Chris230291 Wrote:
(2018-12-29, 16:55)noggin Wrote:

Hi. Thanks for the reply
I just updated Kodi to Leia and now it is even worse... looks like a deinterlacing problem.

Chris   
If you are running Windows - what processor / GPU are you using, and do you have any choice of deinterlacing settings when you are watching a live TV channel ?

Also - are you feeding a TV or watching on a PC monitor / laptop?  Do you have your refresh rate set to 50Hz or Playback set to adjust refresh rate on start/stop?
(2019-03-29, 11:39)noggin Wrote:
(2019-03-27, 15:56)Chris230291 Wrote:
(2018-12-29, 16:55)noggin Wrote:  The standard Kodi+TVHeadend http set-up is lossless with no transcoding, just like passthrough.  Some ARM platforms have lousy quality deinterlacers (or don't deinterlace at all).

Hi. Thanks for the reply

Chris    
If you are running Windows - what processor / GPU are you using, and do you have any choice of deinterlacing settings when you are watching a live TV channel ?

Also - are you feeding a TV or watching on a PC monitor / laptop?  Do you have your refresh rate set to 50Hz or Playback set to adjust refresh rate on start/stop? 

I think I figured it out. I disabled deinterlacing and the picture looks much sharper now. But now I see interlacing lines on some content. I cant win it seems.

3770K sli 970's
Adjust display rate is off
Its on a 60hz monitor

Cheers,
Chris
1080i25 will have either 25fps or 50fps motion (the latter will display vertical lines on fast motion if not correctly deinterlaced).  p25 native content (drama and documentary) carried in i25 will look OK with deinterlacing disabled, but i25 native content (sport, entertainment, news etc.) needs a decent deinterlace to p50

I'll see if I can get a Windows Kodi set-up running over the next day or two to have a play.

That said p25 or i25 will never display particularly well on a 60Hz monitor.
I've just, finally, fired up a Windows 10 install (m3-6y30 Intel Compute Stick), and watching native 1080i25 and 576i25 interlaced content (aka 1080/50i or 576/50i) in Kodi, with DXVA deinterlace enabled, there is no interlace-aware deinterlacing taking place. It's combing all over the place as if it is just being 'Weaved' as if it were native progressive content contained in an interlaced wrapper.  This isn't limited to Live / Recorded TV - it's across DVD, Blu-ray and other file-based native interlaced content.

Windows isn't my daily viewing solution - which is why I'd not noticed the issue - but this looks terrible. (I'm watching at 1080p50 on a 50Hz-friendly monitor)

If I disable DXVA2 hardware acceleration (i.e. switch to CPU decoding) I can use 'Deinterlace' as a deinterlace settings - which is YADIF 2x - and is fine. But you need a CPU that can keep up with this. (Increasing numbers can these days)
Update : OK - found out my issue.

The Render method in Player settings was blank - so I guess in AUTO mode? If I force it to DXVA Render and re-enable DXVA2 acceleration then all is good and I get full acceleration with decent deinterlacing.

I guess either a previous install set the Render method incorrectly - or the default isn't always ideal?

With this mode I get decent quality streaming.  (And can enabled Lanczos3 scaling which does a pretty good job with 576i SD content)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stream quality in Kodi bad0