Getting Error when trying out Buildsetup.bat with SDL exe version.
Hey all. I installed the 'Nullsoft Scriptable Install System' using link inside the readme file. (D:\XBMC SDL\project\Win32BuildSetup\Buildsetup.bat), and i do have "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition" installed and setup right, but i get the error message below when running the batch file.

Generating installer includes...
------------------------------------------------------------
Creating installer XBMCSetup-Rev13456.exe...
ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.
'"makensis.exe"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-
ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR
ERROR: Failed to create XBMCSetup-Rev13456.exe.

Now then, when i go inside the D:\XBMC SDL\project\VS2008Express\ folder and load up the project file, i can build a new compile that way all the way through with no errors. So it's something maybe not set right with the D:\XBMC SDL\project\Win32BuildSetup\Buildsetup.bat method, as this way gives me an error.

I can build fine with the normal manual compile project file, and i can also build just fine with my normal daily VS2003 SDL method (build.bat, use new EXE method.), but i wanted to mess around a little using the program installer builder in the projects directory, so i can make one for my friends to test who aren't completely tech savy, and be able to auto-grab new skin builds in the process, and have them simply double-click a file. What else do i need to setup? Or Do? Thanks in advance. Smile

BTW- I just double-checked in the D:\XBMC SDL\project\Win32BuildSetup\BUILD_WIN32 directory for the build files, and ran it from there to test, and runs just fine, so it's building XBMC fine, up to that point, it's just not properly making the installation file part correctly or something.
This happens to me when I didn't had the NSIS installer installed because it can't find the makensis.exe file which comes with NSIS. After installation of NSIS it worked fine for me. Check if this file can be found.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
yup, install Nullsoft scriptable install system.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
i already installed that 2 times before posting this. Weird then why it's still not working. You double click the file and install it, is there anything else i'm missing with the NSIS install procedures? Because i already installed the same file twice now. Still error's.

Edit- Forgot to mention i use x64, does the script point to '\program files'? If so, that's the problem then, since x64 stores 32bit programs in the '\program files(x86)\' directory. I can search i guess in the batch file to double-check. I just thought about that being it's a batch file, it sounds like the case though.
It gets the path from the registry, HKLM\Software\NSIS (Default), you don't seem to have that key it so it can't find the exe.
If you add the path to nsis to your system path it should also work (or hardcode it in the batchfile). Are you on vista?
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
I am using XP 64bit Pro. I do also have vista 64bit (dual boot), but i don't use it much yet but for my dx10 games. Just checked the registry, and i definitely don't see any registry key for NSIS. I'll just add one and try this again. Must be something relating to x64, i definately reinstalled it 2 times though, so i can't think of anything else.
If i added it correctly, i added a new field, named NSIS, added a key inside, named "Directory", and the field below, i pointed it to "C:\Program Files (x86)\NSIS", i'm assuming that's right.

Edit-Guess not, still getting the error message at the end when building "makensis.exe isn't recognised as an internal..." Hmmm...

The message changed a little bit though.

Creating installer XBMCSetup-Rev13474.exe...
'"makensis.exe"' is not recognized as an internal or external
operable program or batch file.
ERROR: Failed to create XBMCSetup-Rev13474.exe.

Getting further at least
I was just having the same problem and I have verified that NSIS is installed and that the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NSIS (Default)" exists and is pointing to the folder in which NSIS (and the makensis.exe file) live.

I hard-coded it with this line:

Code:
SET NSISExe=C:\Program Files\NSIS\makensis.exe

at line 190 of BuildSetup.bat (right after the for-loop) and that "fixed" things.

The obvious guess is that there is a problem with the for-loop:

Code:
FOR /F "tokens=2* delims=    " %%A IN ('REG QUERY "HKLM\Software\NSIS" /ve') DO SET NSISExe=%%B\%NSISExe

but I honestly don't know much of anything about batch scripting.
BTW, I'm running Vista x86
On my system it works if I change delims= from a tab to a space.
strange, just tried it on vista x86 and it worked just fine as it is.
Charly Wrote:strange, just tried it on vista x86 and it worked just fine as it is.

Is makensis.exe in your path? When the REG QUERY parsing fails it just tries to execute 'makensis.exe' which will work if it's in your path (or whatever the appropriate windows terminology is).

If you add an ECHO %NSISExe% around line 190 it will show you if the REG QUERY worked.
Ok, just an update. I tried the mentioned tips, but didn't fix things, although it got me the following error instead, which seems further. Tried 3 things-
1) Tried the mentioned replacing the TAB with a SPACE which gave the same error as '2)' which is below.
2) Tried manually replacing "SET NSISExe=makensis.exe" with "SET NSISExe=C:\Program Files\NSIS\makensis.exe"
3) Made the key in registry since NSIS installer didn't create one on my 64bit rig. Also copied everything from my "C:\Program Files (x86)\NSIS\" directory over to "C:\Program Files\NSIS" directory (again because of using x64 (XP Pro 64bit)

Creating installer XBMCSetup-Rev13539.exe...
File: "SDL\project\Win32BuildSetup\BUILD_WIN32\Xbmc\credits\*.*" -> no files fou
nd.
Usage: File [/nonfatal] [/a] ([/r] [/x filespec [...]] filespec [...] |
/oname=outfile one_file_only)
Error in script "XBMC for Windows.nsi" on line 94 -- aborting creation process
ERROR: Failed to create XBMCSetup-Rev13539.exe.
View the build log in your HTML browser? [y/n]

I get farther though at least with using the above. Whats the proper key in the registry so i can make sure i made one correctly since NSIS installer didn't seem to make one, i think i made it right. Still need further help figuring this out please. Thanks a lot guys BTW.
when i run the buildsetup.bat i get this msg

Compiling...
stdafx.cpp
..\..\guilib\system.h(134) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'DInput.h': No such file or directory

i suspect missing directx files??

my windows has problems authorising with MS website

regards,
Dam0
yeah, you need directx installed (see the faq)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
djdafreund Wrote:Generating installer includes...
Creating installer XBMCSetup-Rev13539.exe...
File: "SDL\project\Win32BuildSetup\BUILD_WIN32\Xbmc\credits\*.*" -> no files fou
nd.
Usage: File [/nonfatal] [/a] ([/r] [/x filespec [...]] filespec [...] |
/oname=outfile one_file_only)
Error in script "XBMC for Windows.nsi" on line 94 -- aborting creation process
ERROR: Failed to create XBMCSetup-Rev13539.exe.
View the build log in your HTML browser? [y/n]

I get farther though at least with using the above. Whats the proper key in the registry so i can make sure i made one correctly since NSIS installer didn't seem to make one, i think i made it right. Still need further help figuring this out please. Thanks a lot guys BTW.

You're past the "can't find makensis.exe" problem. If you read the error you're getting you'll see that the problem is in "XBMC for Windows.nsi" which is the file makensis.exe uses (meaning that makensis.exe is being found and executed).

That said, I don't know why you're getting the error you are, and I don't know why makensis.exe seems to be looking for "SDL\project\Win32BuildSetup\BUILD_WIN32\Xbmc\credits\*.*" as I don't see that SDL directory anywhere. It seems like instead of SDL there you should have XBMC. Maybe in your attempts to get things working you edited something you didn't mean to? Can you run an 'svn diff' in the Win32BuildSetup directory?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting Error when trying out Buildsetup.bat with SDL exe version.0