Clone of Kodi
Good morning friends.

My question is whether it is legal to make a clone of Kodi, with the intention of having both installed at the same time, original Kodi and the clone, to have different appearances, menus and addons in each of them.

And in the event that it was legal, could I upload it to the PlayStore, of course, absolutely free and clearly expressing that it is a simple fork of the original Kodi.

Thank you very much for your attention.
if you want to make it public, you have to rename and rebrand it. You must not use anything with kodi in it's name or artwork. You cannot use our mirrors for addons either. And the full source code must be public
The trademark policy FAQ and some of the wiki pages linked from it might give you a good place to start reading on the subject.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks for the reply, wsnipex.

Actually, my idea would meet all the requirements, except the issue that the source code should be public. And it's not that I do not want to do it, it's just that my idea is not to touch the original source code, nor a line.

What I would try to do is simply change the org.xbmc.kodi signature to another one that does not contain the word xbmc or kodi, change the start splash and the logos and banners of the resource folders and change the name of the APK to another one that do not contain the word Kodi at all.
Thank you, Darren, I'm going to take a look.
Well, I think I've read all the two documents on wiki about Trademark.

If I have not misunderstood, as long as I do not change the source code, and the fork does not show the registered words I've seen on your wiki, and, the logos, if I change them, do not look like Kodi's, and reference in all places that fork uses XBMC Foundation technology, and of course, does not get any profit from it, there would be no problem in distributing it. Am I wrong ? If so, forgive my clumsiness.

As I said, my idea is to make a fork, without changing a single line of code, simply changing the signature (org.xbmc.kodi) for another that does not have at any time the words that have a trademark, change the skin from initial default to another from one of official skins, but configured, change the splash, the name of the APK (no reference to Kodi), and change the logos and banner found in the resource directories, but without resembling Kodi logos at all. And of course always referring to that is simply, an APK that uses technology from the XBMC Foundation.

And clearly, to win absolutely nothing for it, simply upload it to the PlayStore so that everyone who wants to can download it for free.

Thank you very much for your attention.
curious - what is the point if no functionality is changing and you are not going to charge?
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
That’s what i was wondering. Why?
There's still the point about use of our mirrors. Your fork would not be allowed to do that, and making that change would need a code change.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Simple, Bry, I already mentioned it in my first post.

Simply be able to have two "kodis", the official and a fork, configured differently, with Splash and different logos, installed at the same time.

My final idea, but I do not know if I will can achieve it is to get a fork with an official addon already pre-installed and configured, such as IAGL, for Retro games. Simply, install fork and play, with splash and logos retro.

I understand the reluctance, I have read many threads of this forum, and I know how much the XBMC Foundation fights against piracy and the addons that promote it, and at no time is what I want to try to do. Not much less. If so, I do not think my first step was to go through here to ask if it would be legal to even try to make a clone by changing only what I have already said.

Regarding that I will not win anything, you can answer yourself, since you belong to Team Kodi, you do not win anything, but you offer other people like me wonders like Kodi.

I do not have the knowledge to help in the development of Kodi, although I hope to one day be able to have them.

But I think (I just think) that I could do what I say. If you tell me it's no legal, it would not make sense to even try.

Again, thank you very much for your attention.
Sorry, Darren, where can I find out about the use of your mirrors? I feel if the question may seem silly, but as I said I do not have the knowledge to try to help in Kodi and then I do not know what you mean by mirrors.

Keep in mind that my idea is not to upload the APK to any specific site of the foundation. Unless you want to upload it, of course.
It's our infrastructure for supply of addons (and the app itself, although that's not directly relevant here) in the official repo.

For the exact details of where it is in the code I'm not the person to ask, someone like @wsnipex above can give more details.

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks for your quick response, Darren.

As I say, the fork would upload (if I manage to do so) to the PlayStore, and if you consider it necessary to upload it to any mirror of yours, it would do so without problem.

And pre-installed addons, at the moment I was just thinking about IAGL, that the idea would be to pre-install the addon and its repository.

As I say, I ask, because if it's not legal, I do not even try.

If this issue causes problems, just tell me and close the thread. And I'm sorry if I caused problems. It was not my intention at all.

But thank you very much for your attention.
It's not uploading to our mirrors that we are discussing - it's that the code uses our mirrors to access and download add-ons from our built-in repo.

This is obviously a load on our infrastructure, which is not something we would support or provide to forks.

Basically if you want to fork the code then all of that should be forked as well, to provide your own infrastructure.

Kodi Blog Posts
OK, Darren, if I have not misunderstood. Sorry, my English is not good at all.

But I think I understand that as official Kodi already has certain official addons installed, and these addons are updated from your official repositories; then you can not allow a fork to have your official addons or plugins, since they would be downloaded from your official mirrors. I understood correctly?

If so, I think then the answer to my question is no.

Although as I say, my intention would be to change nothing, absolutely nothing of Kodi's code, or add anything unofficial, or of course anything not allowed.

But if that's the case, I'm certainly not nobody to discuss it.

Thank you. I just wanted to know if it was possible or not.

Thank you very much to all the members of Team Kodi, firstly for making this marvelous media center possible. And secondly, for answering me. Thank you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Clone of Kodi0