New 8-bay NAS
Hello,

I wanted to start digitalizing my movie collection and therefore I am looking for a new NAS.
I want to manage my library with Kodi, so I'll probably buy a VERO 4k+ in addition.

But for the new NAS I'm not sure which one is the best for me? It should be capable of playing BD Remix and maybe for the future 4k.

I have at the moment two NAS in mind:
Synology DS1819+ 8G
and
QNAP TS-873 8G

Which one would be the best or any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance
I’d drop a question to NASCompares.com. They have a free advice thing going on.

Check their YouTube channel too, they might have reviewed the models you are interested in.
I wrote them yesterday, but want more opinions Smile
Any reason your going with a Nas , a server would be much cheaper and you'll be able to upgrade it if needed where you'll only end up replacing your Nas
(2019-01-05, 11:09)mds51 Wrote: I wrote them yesterday, but want more opinions Smile

Hahah. I did pretty much things in the same order.

Anyway. If you get a Vero 4K+ to play 4K HDR material and you connect everything via gigabit. I don’t think you would have a problem with either of those or any cheaper NAS for that matter.

Since the Vero 4K+ will handle all playback and the NAS will only store and serve.

In theory at least. For a similar case scenario, including the Vero 4K+, I got recommended the Synology DS218. I’m planning to also run a BitTorrent client on the NAS which will add additional stress.
(2019-01-05, 11:49)Mandraxbmc Wrote: Any reason your going with a Nas , a server would be much cheaper and you'll be able to upgrade it if needed where you'll only end up replacing your Nas
 Yes - I'd agree. Once you get past a simple 4-drive NAS, a server becomes more compelling. I'm still very happy with unRAID and my DIY Celeron build.
I have both a Synology DS1817+ and a Qnap TS-669 Pro.

Got the Qnap TS-669 Pro, about a decade ago and recently updated it from 6X - 3GB to 6X - 6GB drives.
Got the Synology DS1817+ with 8X 6GB drives a few months ago.

Why two... Because RAID is not a backup solution Smile Once I passed 10TB's of content, I became concerned of how much of a pain it would be to replace the contents if something bad happened to the Qnap TS-669 Pro.

I run both in RAID 6 so two disks can die and still recover after replacing them. The Qnap TS-669 Pro is the main NAS, with Synology DS1817+ serving as the backup. Someday, I might switch them around.

The Synology DS1817+ is faster than the Qnap TS-669 Pro but both are quite capable of streaming 4K, high bit rate content. The Synology also seems to have a more modern look/feel but both are linux under the hood. Both run Plex server ( and other, ah media acquisition apps) in docker containers. I highly recommend docker containers. They let you isolate applications and limit their prefs/files pollution to the docker container. 

In the past, I ran self built server, with a bunch of disks attached to it. It was a constant maintenance issue. Was always having to fix/update something on it. With the NAS, fill it with disks, turn it on and go. Synology/Qnap know their products are used in critical situations and are quite careful and capable with pushing updates.  Both are headless, they sit on a shelf and I ignore them Smile 

Since moving to NAS's, I've never looked back. Little maintenance, just use it. Lets me concentrate on code development rather than diddle about with media storage solutions.
(2019-01-05, 14:53)davilla Wrote: I have both a Synology DS1817+ and a Qnap TS-669 Pro.
In the past, I ran self built server, with a bunch of disks attached to it. It was a constant maintenance issue. Was always having to fix/update something on it. With the NAS, fill it with disks, turn it on and go. Synology/Qnap know their products are used in critical situations and are quite careful and capable with pushing updates.  Both are headless, they sit on a shelf and I ignore them Smile 

To be fair that's how I run unRAID on mine. Both my unRAID servers are headless and I only upgrade them when I'm bored Smile

I've had no major issues in a decade. (Which has now jinxed things)
@davilla and I basically have the same setup except my qnap was a 639. Just switched to a Synology 1817+ 16gb ram 8x8tb. I went for ease of use at the premium cost vs home built.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Thank you all for your input. I want to stick with a bought one, not a self build one.

When I use a Vero 4k for the playback, the NAS hasn't be to powerful am I right?

So maybe a less powerful QNAP would do it too, like this: QNAP TS-832X-2G?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New 8-bay NAS0