OS X Netflix plugin - Strange behavior depending of the frame rate of the stream
Hello,

I noticed that some Netflix videos are a bit laggy on my oooold iMac from 2009...
He's in fullscreen mode, with a video projector plugged in mirroring, in 1080p.

My Kodi is v18, configured with the auto adjust frame rate.
it works nicely :

24fps       >  my hdmi output switches to 24fps
25fps       >  my hdmi output switches to 50fps
23,976fps >  my hdmi output switches to 60fps

(24,50 & 60 are the 3 modes proposed by this video projector)

All the speeds are correctly detected and applied to the hdmi output, whether I use the local files or streaming.

Here's the problem :

- all my local video files are fluid on the video projector (in 24fps, 23,976fps, or 25fps).
 the classical format I read is h264 in 1080p

- in the Netflix add-on : 24fps are perfectly fluid, others formats (23,976fps and 25fps) are a bit laggy ?

Strange no ?

And more and more strange :

I have the SAME Kodi version installed on a MacBook Pro very recent (2017)
Same OS (10.13.6).

When I plug my videoprojector on it
(mirroring, 1080p, using a dodocool hub)

- all the local video files are fluid
- in the Netflix Add-on, it's the opposite !!!!  23,976fps and 25fps are fluid, but 24fps is laggy !!!!!

crazy no Huh?

EDIT from the 2019-01-10 :

It all works with the MacBook Pro...

But still I open a thread in the Netflix category.

Any help ?

Thanks !
And I have a question too :

What about that new "whitelist" in v18 ?

I haven't checked anything in it, and Kodi seems to switch the output frequency anyway...

So what is this whitelist for ?
I think I understood...
When I don't select nothing in the whitelist, it will switch from frame rate but not from resolution, right ?
It should not switch at all when you have nothing selected in the whitelist. Enabling refresh rate adjustment in that case would make no sense then of course.

About you problems you could try to enable „sync to display“ and see if this changes anything for you.

Beside that - similar reports to yours related to hardware decoding and jittery playback are reported in different ways for different Mac hardware / gpu constellations.

No real idea from my side as this totally out of scope of my area of knowledge sadly.

The difference between local h264 and Netflix is that local can use hardware decoding and Netflix can‘t (due to DRM only Software decoding is possible in that case). Also the resolution of Netflix streams is Limited to 720p afaik (not sure if this is the case on laptop/desktop grade CPUs though).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2019-01-06, 13:52)Memphiz Wrote: It should not switch at all when you have nothing selected in the whitelist. Enabling refresh rate adjustment in that case would make no sense then of course.

Yep that's what I don't understand... It really switches of frame rate, without selecting nothing in the whitelist.
(2019-01-06, 13:52)Memphiz Wrote: About you problems you could try to enable „sync to display“ and see if this changes anything for you.

I allready tested, without success.
(2019-01-06, 13:52)Memphiz Wrote: Beside that - similar reports to yours related to hardware decoding and jittery playback are reported in different ways for different Mac hardware / gpu constellations.

No real idea from my side as this totally out of scope of my area of knowledge sadly.

You already have been helpful Smile
(2019-01-06, 13:52)Memphiz Wrote: The difference between local h264 and Netflix is that local can use hardware decoding and Netflix can‘t (due to DRM only Software decoding is possible in that case). Also the resolution of Netflix streams is Limited to 720p afaik (not sure if this is the case on laptop/desktop grade CPUs though).

Yep I understand that.
And no the Netflix stream is 1080p. (because of my subscription here in France, maybe)
Hello I did more testing...

I edit the 1st message, as I was partially wrong - it all works with the modern MacBook Pro.

Still I don't understand why it's not working well with the old iMac, one because I installed Youtube add-on and I'm able to read 1080p at many rates (23,976, 24, 25) without any problem using inpustream adaptive.

So I still suspect a bug in the Netflix add-on, or maybe a possible improvement...

Admins can you close that thread ? 
I open a new one in the "Netflix" category.
>> It's here if someone wanna help.

Thanks !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Netflix plugin - Strange behavior depending of the frame rate of the stream0