Setting cd or album art for disc sets
I would like to know the proper way to get Kodi to recognize cd or album art for sets. For example: I have a set that has 6 cd's in it. I have the artwork for each of the 6 individual cd's. 

My directory structure is music>artist>album name>disc 1>songname.mp3.

I have tried cdart.png and disc.png file naming convention but all 6 cd's will only show a single cd artwork, all using the same cd art. I have tried adding the number of course, like cdart1 or cdart01 but doesn't change anything.

When adding my tags I am using the album name with the the disc # in ( ), I.E. "The Album Name Set (Disc 2). This is the only way I can get Kodi to see each cd separately.

Would changing the cd sub-folder name to CD1 or CD 1 help or the artwork name to CD1 or CD 1?

Any ideas anyone?
Kodi v20.1 with goodies from the PSMC Collection / Using on PC's, Nvidea Shields, and other Android TV Boxes
Have you tried placing a "folder.jpg" or "cover.jpg" file in each of the disc sub-directories? The name of the folders should not matter.
@Wanderer189 questions are best raised separately rather than lurking at the bottom of an older "Best Practice" thread that needs updating (or replacing) for v18 so I have split this into own thread.

The way v18 handles cover art for disc sets (multiple part releases) is described here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=330961, I hope that the examples make it clear what to do with tagging and image file location.

The handling of disc art (round images of discs) is in a transitional state - v18 has an new facility to configure Kodi to pick up other types of local art, but it is initially and advanced user topic (better UI / skin integeration hopefully in v19) that also needs skins to adjust to using that art. I don't know which skins have done that, or where Aeon Nox Silvo looks for disc art. Previous versions needed a compatible art addon to fetch disc art, v18 can do more itself.
Quote:When adding my tags I am using the album name with the the disc # in ( ), I.E. "The Album Name Set (Disc 2). This is the only way I can get Kodi to see each cd separately.

Yes, disc sets are not well handled in the music library. There are several situations where an extra GUI and filtering  level is needed
a) Where bonus material (out takes, or different mixes etc.) is on separate discs that you often don't want to play when you play the main songs from the original release.
b) True boxed sets where multiple albums are issued as one release
c) Very large releases e.g. radio version of "Lord of the Rings" on 13 CDs
The issue is how to add such an extra level without getting in the way of navigating single disc releases as normal, and how to implement it in the UX.  Meanwhile adding something to the album title and not using mbid tags (as you are doing) is probably the best way to separate the parts for easy access.

I've just noticed you have posted this question before at the bottom of the best practice guide, and I split it off then too!
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=334317  I understand that you want a simple answer but no one has written that guide yet.
To get individual "per-disc" artwork to work in Kodi (in both browse and playback scenarios) each disc's music tracks needs it's own unique "Disc X" folder underneath the parent "album" folder, and the unique "folder.jpg" and "cdart.png" files for that disc stored in those sub-folders. Believe-you-me, I've spent more hours fighting with this (and various apps doing their best to foil my efforts) than I care to mention.

The good news is, if you use cdART Manager, it will correctly download (assign, and locate) multi-disc images when the above is true, assuming that multi-disc artwork for that album has been uploaded to Fanart.tv, and isn't below any rating cutoff you may have stipulated.
@BigIUFan Yes, I have tried that, thanks for the reply
Kodi v20.1 with goodies from the PSMC Collection / Using on PC's, Nvidea Shields, and other Android TV Boxes
@DaveBlake Appreciate reply, I will check out what you posted, thanks
(2019-01-08, 23:35)gibxxi Wrote: To get individual "per-disc" artwork to work in Kodi (in both browse and playback scenarios) each disc's music tracks needs it's own unique "Disc X" folder underneath the parent "album" folder, and the unique "folder.jpg" and "cdart.png" files for that disc stored in those sub-folders. Believe-you-me, I've spent more hours fighting with this (and various apps doing their best to foil my efforts) than I care to mention.

The good news is, if you use cdART Manager, it will correctly download (assign, and locate) multi-disc images when the above is true, assuming that multi-disc artwork for that album has been uploaded to Fanart.tv, and isn't below any rating cutoff you may have stipulated.
Thanks for the reply, I have used cdArt Manager, but in the past, it sometimes has messed up my music library by adding/changing/deleting tags and things that make my library great for kodi, but sometimes not so great for other devices
I highly doubt it m8. cdART Manager doesn't alter files, much like Kodi. It may associate your albums with MBIDs in the Kodi music database, but it doesn't alter tags of the music at all (AFAIK). I asked this very question of the previous maintainer many moons ago.
Correct. Kodi does not have the capability to edit embedded music file tags.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-01-04, 16:03)Wanderer189 Wrote: I would like to know the proper way to get Kodi to recognize cd or album art for sets. For example: I have a set that has 6 cd's in it. I have the artwork for each of the 6 individual cd's. 

My directory structure is music>artist>album name>disc 1>songname.mp3.

I have tried cdart.png and disc.png file naming convention but all 6 cd's will only show a single cd artwork, all using the same cd art. I have tried adding the number of course, like cdart1 or cdart01 but doesn't change anything.

When adding my tags I am using the album name with the the disc # in ( ), I.E. "The Album Name Set (Disc 2). This is the only way I can get Kodi to see each cd separately.

Would changing the cd sub-folder name to CD1 or CD 1 help or the artwork name to CD1 or CD 1?

Any ideas anyone?
I sorta have this working now with the same structure I was using with one exception:

I was using Disc 1 or Disc 2 in my tagging, if I use 01, 02, etc as the disc number it is now picking up the correct cd art as long as I name each disc unique by adding the (disc number), I.E. music>artist>album name (Disc 01). It is making Kodi think it is a individual album rather than part of a collection.

I do wish it I could figure out a way to make it work more like a movie collection, showing the collection, then navigating into it and seeing each cd that was within.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting cd or album art for disc sets0