Using Kodi on Sony-Android-TV || use Sony's TV-Tuner as backend in Kodi
Simple question for a probably complicated thing:

Is it possible to use the internal TV-Tuner-Hardware of a Sony-Android-TV (here: ZD9) in Kodi, so that I can list and change the Satellite-TV-Program within kodi? 

Background: 
Sony's idea of a User-Interface is... well... very "individual". I would prefer to say "utter garbish" or "unusable". It would be quite cool to use Kodi as the general UI for the TV-Set.
I am wondering the same issue on a AF9...

Sure there is an addon to introduce cccams or so...

I am looking to Tvheadend...but I do not now if it is possible in our Android TV...

Regards
It's very unlikely that the tuner would be shared with the Android part so that Kodi could access it.

Simple way to test would be to install something like TVHeadend as already mentioned, and see if that can see the tuners as a source. If it can then you're OK, if not then you're out of luck. My money would be on the latter.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
TVHeadend, hm? Is that on playstore?

I will give that a try. 

Apart from that, just theoretical: 
The TV's own TV-Frontend is an Android-App, too, so the Tuner MUST have an accessible interface of any kind.
Consequently the problem must be Sony, making a secret of the API/interface.
Sony's tuner integration is mostly proprietary. Google's TV Input Framework (TIF) is only used for the most basic stuff. However, even if it was used extensively, TIF is not meant for replacing the viewer app (e.g. Google's Live Channels or Sony's own awful one), but only for adding live sources (channels) on the lower end (web-based or from integrated tuners for example).

Or in short, there is simply no way for Kodi or any Play Store 3rd party app to access the integrated tuners (apart from Google's own Live Channels via TIF).
(2019-01-29, 11:56)Gugelhupf03 Wrote: TVHeadend, hm? Is that on playstore?

I will give that a try. 

Apart from that, just theoretical: 
The TV's own TV-Frontend is an Android-App, too, so the Tuner MUST have an accessible interface of any kind.
Consequently the problem must be Sony, making a secret of the API/interface.

I don't think there's a TVH server app in the Play Store. More usually the tuner sits on the network and broadcasts its output over the local network (or at least makes it available that way) for the server to pick up (although the two may be on the same device in some cases). But I'd strongly doubt that the tuners here will be available outside the TV itself.

That said have a look at the link below. It's old, but I'm not sure if anything ever came of it or if there is anything working there (I don't have such a TV so have no need of it - I use a HDHomeRun tuner and TVH on a Pi).

https://tvheadend.org/boards/5/topics/21407
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Kodi needs a third-party PVR-backend (PVR-server) to interact with USB TV-tuners and there are no compatible PVR-backends (PVR-server) that runs nativly on the Android. 

https://kodi.wiki/view/PVR

For now you either need to get a networked-attached TV-tuner (which can't record) or plugin your USB tuner in a computer on your network and run the PVR-backend on it.

https://kodi.wiki/view/PVR_recording_software

Many people buy a Raspberry Pi to solve this as its a computer that you can plugin your USB tuner and run PVR-backend software on.

Suggest that buy a Raspberry Pi, plugin USB-tuner and try installing LibreELEC on it first 

https://kodi.wiki/view/LibreELEC

LibreELEC comes preinstalled with some PVR-backend software that is relativly easy to configure, and then you can connect to that PVR-backend from Android over network.
You guys got any further with this?
Been wanting to try it in my Sony ag9
Nope, gave up.
I'm near to giving up on Sony's AndroidTV completely and reluctantly attach a 50$-China-AndroidTV-Box for Kodi. Sony's ATV2 is so... trash... in so many aspects, that I can't find proper words for it.
Memory, Memory-Speed, Memory-Expansion, Network-Speed, SoC-Speed, 3D-implementation... I'm nearly vomiting just by thinking about it. I loved the proprietary W8-Series so much! Still do! But I need Android-TV,because I need Kodi. 

As good as Sony's panels are, as bad is their electronics. Still is, that's the sadest thing. They don't learn, they don't improve, they don't invest, they don't care about their customers the least bit (e.g. by allowing options for external network-hardware)

OnePlus announced to go into TV-Business... well THEY know how to do Android! Maybe the next TV won't be Sony anymore, who knows?
I really like Sony screens, but _only_ for the panels
Rest of the hardware is...a little inferior and for that reason I too hook up a separate box to escape the Sony interface and performance.
The good thing is, you don't need anything expensive to run kodi on..
I know it's possible on PC, but can Kodi run 4k HDR content through the Sony android app ecosystem?
(2019-12-26, 15:50)n00bftw Wrote: I know it's possible on PC, but can Kodi run 4k HDR content through the Sony android app ecosystem?

My understanding was that Sony only allows 4K HDR output through software designed categorised as Application (Video)... whatever that means. I think was in an XDA article, and the same article that was explaining the situation when Sony was blocking Kodi on it's Bravia Android television sets.

Either way, has anyone ever managed to get Live TV working in Kodi using only the tuner in the Bravia televisions? This would certainly be desirable because Sony's awful native app doesn't allow the user to record TV to a NAS, instead it insists on the user using a USB (I mean, WTF Sony this 2020 and not 2002).
Quote:Either way, has anyone ever managed to get Live TV working in Kodi using only the tuner in the Bravia televisions?

Not possible.
I'm jumping in to say it would be great if someone could figure this out.  In the U.S. Sony offers almost identical hardware to other regions (I have an XBR-75X850C), but their software doesn't allow for recording OTA channels at all.  Kodi is my only hope for that ability.

Of course, I'll probably end up getting a SiliconDust ATSC 3.0 tuner for that purpose before anyone figures out how to use Sony's internal tuner.

Can Kodi act as the front end to a SiliconDust tuner and save to a USB stick attached to the TV?  I'm going to bet the answer to that is 'no' as well.
Hello everyone

I've just bought a Smart TV and I have some issues regarding encoding/pass-through

My setup is the following:
- TV : Sony KD-65XH9505
- Audio system: Denon AVR-3313
- Media storage: NAS Synology DS214+

I've tested these interconnection but I have the same problems in both case:
- HDMI ACR
- SPDIF optique

My issues are:
- by default the TV is sending Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital plus sound format. But on some stereo sources (old TV shows for exemple) the sound is poor. My AVR is doing a great job to enhance such sources using Dolby Prologic II, so I would like to have the stereo sound sent as-is and not transcoded in DD by the TV.
- if I activate pass-through mode on the TV, it still sends the sound in DD. I've confirmed this with Netflix with  source in Stereo (Skins) and sources in Dolby/Dolby Vision (His House)
- I have issues with Kodi, VLS or DS Video: auto configuration (auto1 or auto2 + PT on auto) make the sound suttering (DTS/DD/Stereo sources fail to stabilize like if the AVR fails to identify the type of sound)
- If I activate PCM+Passthrough on the TV, I'm only getting stereo sound.

I'm quite lost and I would be happy if you have any suggestion why PT is not working correctly.

With y old setup (SONY 40S3000 + Media player/Mede8er + Netflix/Samsung UBD-K8500), I didn't have these issues as the central element was my AVR and not the TV (which was not smart at all)

I've bought this TV to prevent buying a media player (Shield or others) but I fear I won't have the choice...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using Kodi on Sony-Android-TV || use Sony's TV-Tuner as backend in Kodi0