Linux Hi-Res audio (24 bit/ 96 or 192 kHz) on Gemini Lake (HDMI)
I think about starting with Hi-Res audio (24 bit, sampling rate up to 192 kHz, FLAC). Currently I only have FLAC in CD quality (16 bit/ 44.1 kHz) but I plan to buy Hi-Res files in future.

Since I only use Kodi (the stable v17, Linux with PulseAudio) on my Gemini Lake system (J5005), it must be supported by my system. It is currently connected to my AVR with HDMI only.

Unfortunately I found a limitation in the "Datasheet Volume 1 of 2" (Page 71).
The audio at HDMI is limited to a maximum sampling rate of 48 kHz (16 or 24 bit) for 2-channel L-PCM audio.

The used audio chip, Realtek ALC892, has "support for 16/20/24-bit SPDIF input and output with up to 192 kHz sample rate". So the TOSLINK port should be able to deliver full support for Hi-Res audio.

It would be fine if I only would need HDMI but also connection it with TOSLINK is acceptable for me.
[I also plan to use a combined sink for dual-audio output at the analog port.]

Is there a general limitation with Hi-Res audio (24 bit, up to 192 kHz) in Kodi (>= v17) on Linux with PulseAudio? I hope not.
Can I play Hi-Res files (24/96 or 192) with audio output at HDMI? Will it be resampled automatically?
Are there any other issues with Hi-Res audio I have to take care?
No HW limitation, my J5005 Windows miniPC plays Hi-Res audio (192/96/88 KHz sampling rates) perfectly
over HDMI to my Marantz AV receiver.
(2019-01-14, 21:01)demasiado Wrote: No HW limitation, my J5005 Windows miniPC plays Hi-Res audio (192/96/88 KHz sampling rates) perfectly
over HDMI to my Marantz AV receiver.

OK, thanks!
This sounds not so bad, even if I run it on Linux and not on Windows.

I guess, there will be a resampling from Kodi (or from Windows or from the driver)!

Would you be so kind and tell me the sampling rate for such Hi-Res audio at you AVR? You should see it by the setup menu (on recent AVRs from Marantz): Settings / General / Information / Audio
(Note: You don't see it, if you press the info button on the IR remote control).

AFAIK the Kodi-Settings/System/Audio will influence the resampling quality.

Can you also tell me, what board you are using (Intel NUC, Asus, ASRock, Gigabyte? ...)? I use the ASRock J5005-ITX board.
I've tested it now with HiRes files and I didn't get high resolution by HDMI, but it worked.

With 96 and 192 kHz files (24 bit, stereo) I only get the maximum of 48 kHz at the HDMI port (with "Fixed" Output configuration and "High" Resample quality). With other output configuration ("Best Match" and "Optimised") I only got 44.1 kHz.
The Sampling Rate was limited to 192 kHz in Kodi (but this should only be relevant for S/PDIF).
The AVR only tells me the sampling rate but not the depth (16 or 24 bit).

Also in VLC I got only 44.1 kHz.

I'm not sure if this is limited by PureAudio (or OS or driver) and if it's possible to get higher sampling rate but I don't think so.

As I read the thread in the Intel forum (posted by @demasiado in another thread) I'm very pissed by Intel! Again!
Never again I'll buy from them!
For midrange and above AMD is thankfully a very good alternative. Let's hope they bring also good parts for low-end and HTPC. Or I'll take a deeper look to ARM (and other competitors) the next time.

The only good is, that it's not a problem to play HiRes files by HDMI, even if they are resampled to 44.1 or 48 kHz.
Sadly there was no response from @demasiado.

The Gemini Lake SoCs can not provide native Hi-Res audio > 48 kHz over HDMI!
Sorry for the delay...
I confirm once again that my Beelink Gemini X55 Ultimate miniPC
(J5005 processor) with Windows 10 (WASAPI audio driver)
outputs hir-res audio over HDMI to my Marantz old SR5003 A/V receiver.
The Marantz display shows 88/96/192 according to the audio sample rate.
Maybe someday I will try under Linux as well....
Update: Gemini Lake supports Hi-Res over HDMI, but I only get it with ALSA and not with PulseAudio.

See Post #251 in the Intel Gemini Lake thread

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hi-Res audio (24 bit/ 96 or 192 kHz) on Gemini Lake (HDMI)0