• 11(current)
Pre-Release 3.0 RC4
(2019-04-22, 16:24)mlaggner Wrote: Tmm is compatible to Java 11, but unfortunately there is more than just to be compatible...
we have 3 different OS with at least 2 different Java versions of 2 different vendors (and since almost every Linux distribution packages its own openjdk built there is much more variety..)

I can say that tmm works on all 3 OS with Java 8 and Java 11 (at least I am not aware of any bug at the moment..) we're also running many unit tests on java 8, 9 and 11 and no one is failing..
Myron runs windows (iirc oracle Java) without any issues and I run tmm myself on manjaro with Java 8 and 11 (openjdk) without any issues.
keeping this in mind your problems must have something to do with your setup Sad

I've chosen Java 8 years ago because it can run on every OS, but lately I need to find/fix issues (which are caused by specific OS/Java combinations) more than developing tmm itself and this is very frustrating..

We try to make tmm as generic as possible to be run everywhere but there are limitations... And I am aware that we can't help everyone (there is just not enough spare time to help everyone and keeping tmm developed), but we try to do as much as possible
I have considered my setup, but I struggle to find it. I do not use Java for much of anything. So once I had this issue, I simply removed all of Java and reinstalled fresh for each test. So each Java install was to all defaults as set by the maintainer. I completely understand the frustration of spending time on compatibility issues vs improvements, which is why I asked on the direction you take. The best I can do to be compatible is to use default installs and change nothing, or as little as possible.

Where I am getting confused on this ... OpenJDK 8 works just fine. If I uninstall it and install OpenJDK 11, it is broken. If I uninstall that and install Oracle Java 11, it remains broken. Uninstall again and install OpenJDK 8 again and we are all good. During the above, I also tested my Java app MP4Box GUI, which runs on Java. That app ran on all three environments of Java. Although the above cannot rule out something on my system, it does show that it is related to Java 8 vs Java 11 and the working of tMM with it.

Since I can work just fine on Java 8, this is not really critical, but it does throw a few caution flags.
I've read yesterday that Oracle dropped their shipped font LucidaSans and rely completely to installed fonts (https://www.azul.com/the-font-of-all-kno...and-fonts/) -> maybe some config of your installation still refer to this font?

could you try:

a) install the lucida fonts in your system
b) try to change the font of off via the file tmm.json (instead of the Dialog to your default UI font?)
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
Help us translate tinyMediaManager at Weblate | Translations at 66%
Found a bug or want to submit a feature request? Contact us at GitLab
(2019-04-23, 07:13)mlaggner Wrote: I've read yesterday that Oracle dropped their shipped font LucidaSans and rely completely to installed fonts (https://www.azul.com/the-font-of-all-kno...and-fonts/) -> maybe some config of your installation still refer to this font?

could you try:

a) install the lucida fonts in your system
b) try to change the font of off via the file tmm.json (instead of the Dialog to your default UI font?)
@mlaggner -- yep, you are on to the issue here. I swapped in the tmm.json file "Dialog" for "Ubuntu". The result is some words display now, but some still don't. For example I can see the titles of the movies on the listing (left column), but when the dialog came up notifying me of a new version, all of the release notes were in blocks vs characters/words. The words that now display though don't look right, but they are there and readable.

I am going to look for a good version of the Lucida Sans font to install, it is not an available font in the Ubuntu repos. I will also look locally as OpenJDK 8 works and OpenJDK 11 does not, so maybe I can grab a config setting, file or font from 8 and give it to 11.
Is this helpful? https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1221...pendencies
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
just compared several different fonts on my machine and it looks like OpenJDK11 is using DejaVu Sans as the physical font behind Dialog - it would be worth a try to switch the font in tmm to DejaVu Sans (and please provide screens where the font is still missing -> looks like there are some places, where the UI does not use the set font)
@thwaller looking at the slides from https://static.rainfocus.com/oracle/oow1...01v8uS.pdf you may get a feeling how Java changed between J8 and J11 -> and these are all things where we have no influence Sad
RC4 is out: https://www.tinymediamanager.org/blog/version-3-0-RC4/
@mlaggner 

Thanks for all your hard work in developing TMM !

I have one request if possible: can you add support for season fanart?

Thanks in advance...
I could - but is there an official source for season fanarts?
in the Kodi Wiki there is only season poster/banner/landscape mentioned (I suppose landscape is at Kodi what thumb is at tmm)
(2019-04-27, 08:22)mlaggner Wrote: I could - but is there an official source for season fanarts?
in the Kodi Wiki there is only season poster/banner/landscape mentioned (I suppose landscape is at Kodi what thumb is at tmm)

It may be a small omission by part of the Kodi Wiki not to include the Season Fanart artwork. When one enter a TV Show with more than one season (or just one, depending on Kodi config) one can browse thru the seasons viewing each season's poster and fanart (or, thumbs and fanart, banner and fanart, depending on the skin and skin's view).

Scrappers that support Fanart artwork are TVDB, FanartTV and IMDB.

PS: If implemented will you give the option to save it as fanart.ext and/or backdrop.ext

Thanks for your support and hard work to make this the best media manager...
(2019-04-24, 14:08)mlaggner Wrote: @thwaller looking at the slides from https://static.rainfocus.com/oracle/oow1...01v8uS.pdf you may get a feeling how Java changed between J8 and J11 -> and these are all things where we have no influence Sad

@mlaggner - Sorry for the late reply, and thank you for your replies regarding the issue. I completely agree this is a Java issue and not a tMM issue, and in saying that, I greatly appreciate your efforts to still help. I believe I can show blame on an issue with Java + Ubuntu on this. You will recall a conversation where I had what appeared to be Java 11 packages installed, yet they were actually Java 10 packages. I believe it was you who pointed this out with some detail. So once the Java actually was Java 11 packages, that is when I had first started reporting strange things. This font issue was the last one reported. I have found a fix, although I hate to even call it a fix, but the issue is resolved.

I am being overly descriptive as it might help someone else, and you may have interest as well.
1) in "/home/user/.java/fonts/11.0.2" I deleted "fcinfo-xxxxxxxx.properties"
2) in "/home/user/.java/fonts/10.0.2" I copied "fcinfo-xxxxxxxx.properties" and pasted to "/home/user/.java/fonts/11.0.2"
Done.

I am sure there is a more logical explanation or even a better way to do this, but those are the exact steps I took to resolve. This allows me to now run tMM with no errors with the following:
openjdk 11.0.2 2019-01-15
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.2+9-Ubuntu-3ubuntu118.04.3)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.2+9-Ubuntu-3ubuntu118.04.3, mixed mode, sharing)

I am far from a Java person, but it appears as though something got mucked with the upgrade from 10 to 11. If my assumptions are wrong, anyone feel free to shed some light on what actually happened here. All I have as fact is the exact steps I took and the results.
I would like to report another issue. This one I have received before and was simply too lazy to capture and report. See image:

Imagehttps://imgur.com/a/U4Udvew

This happens on approx 75% of the time. After the error, it is an easy fix. I just manually select a fanart image and all is good.
@thwaller cann you reproduce that and provide some logs? that must be some action which I do not use while testing Wink
(2019-04-29, 19:37)mlaggner Wrote: @thwaller cann you reproduce that and provide some logs? that must be some action which I do not use while testing Wink
@mlaggner - yes, I will PM you with a text file from start up to the error.
is it possible to have TMM use title sorting to populate the sorttitle box in the gui, so it in turn will populate the sorttitle tag in the .xml?

I Have the following: (A, The) in the title sorting box in settings, so in the gui "The 15:17 to Paris" is sorted "15:17 to Paris, The". but when i edit the movie in the GUI it is listed as "The 15:17 to Paris" and sorttitle is empty, so in kodi ith movie is sorted under The and not 15:17
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pre-Release 3.0 RC40