v17 Kodi on Nvidia SHIELD TV is buffering on local network files since 7.2
Hello,
Kodi can't play any file from my NAS since SHIELD 7.2 update.
Setup:
  • KODI 17.6
  • Nvidia SHIELD (2015)
  • Gigabit network (ethernet cat 6 cable and gigabit router)
  • NAS Qnap TS431 (firmware 4.3.6)
  • Library on MySql DB on the NAS
Since the SHIELD 7.2 update (now 7.2.2), I can't stream any file of any size without buffering.
Playback is not quitting just stuttering and buffering.
Here are all the tricks I've tried:
  • restarted the NAS, the Shield, the router
  • disabling ipv6 and network scanning on the Shield, it didn't work.
  • add cache settings for local network files (set to 1/3 of available memory) in advancedsetting.xml
  • moved all paths of the library from smb:// to nfs://
  • cleared the cache of Kodi and restarted the app
None of them made a difference.
According to the resource monitor app on my Qnap, the upload speed (from the NAS) is dropping to zero every seconds (roughly).
I'm waiting for the stable release of Kodi 18 Leia, but I have doubt it'll change anything.
Do you have an idea ?
Thank you.
(2019-01-15, 16:28)charles.bonneau Wrote: Kodi can't play any file from my NAS since SHIELD 7.2 update.
I'd say you still have a network problem. Running with the 7.2.2 update and Kodi 18rc5 connected to a NFS Ubuntu server, video and music files still play here.
I know that SMB can be a real pita, but I assume that your QNap can do SMBv2 and 3 by now. Or NFS upto v4.

Provide a full, debugging enabled, debug log (wiki) file via a pastebin website, and we can see some internal processes.
Here is the debug log: https://paste.kodi.tv/elowaxusul.kodi
BTW I forgot to mention that I also have Kodi on a Windows machine sharing the same library and sources. The playback on Windows seems to be smooth (I haven't done any thorough testing though).

Thanks
On your Nvidia SHIELD try a different service that comes with the box to check your network. Try a speed test not from Kodi. If you get good speeds, then its Kodi. If you have a second box or even a laptop connect it the place of the Nvidia SHIELD. Try a speed test with it.
(2019-01-16, 01:21)timmins Wrote: On your Nvidia SHIELD try a different service

Since Kodi doesn't work, I now spend my evenings on Netflix and Youtube, everything is fine there. So I guess it's Kodi.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled it. Starting from an empty library, I tried to play a file on my NAS and it was still stuttering and buffering, unwatchable.
I had a similar issue on a Fire TV box. Turned out that a default setting in Kodi was not allowing it to fill the buffer fast enough. The trick is to increase it's readfactor value.

Using any file explorer app, go to the following location:
/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata
NOTE: If you don't see the .kodi folder you need to enable "View Hidden Folders" in your file browser.

Look for a file called : advancedsettings.xml
If it does not exist (it usually doesn't exist), you will need to create it.

Set the contents of the file to the following and save it, then stop and restart Kodi (may need to force stop from Android Settings/App menu)

<advancedsettings>
<cache>
<readfactor>90</readfactor>
</cache>
</advancedsettings>

NOTE: This allows Kodi to use more available bandwidth. Setting this too high could cause Kodi to use all of it so other devices may experience network slow downs. If so, lower this number from 90 to something else. It can also be raised if you are still having too much buffering.
(2019-01-15, 19:28)charles.bonneau Wrote: Here is the debug log:
17:57:54.544 T:144766031088 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.lambda

Please stop using and remove banned add-ons in Kodi if you want further support on this forum.
(2019-01-16, 08:52)Klojum Wrote: 17:57:54.544 T:144766031088 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.lambda

Hmm, I don't even remember why I used this repository. Sorry.
Here is a log of a fresh install of Kodi (with imported advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml): https://paste.kodi.tv/efalenexiv.kodi
The advancedsettings.xml are as follow:
xml:
<advancedsettings>
  <videodatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <host>192.168.0.7</host>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>kodi</user>
    <pass>*******</pass>
  </videodatabase>
  <videolibrary>
    <importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
    <importresumepoint>true</importresumepoint>
  </videolibrary>
  <cache>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <memorysize>52428800</memorysize>
    <readfactor>90</readfactor>
  </cache>
  <network>
    <curlclienttimeout>15</curlclienttimeout>
    <curllowspeedtime>15</curllowspeedtime>
  </network>
</advancedsettings>
So the readbuffer 90 didn't help?

Are you using wifi or a network cable?
If using wifi, try with a cable, if using a cable, try a different one.

I have a Shield and Kodi 17.6 runs flawlessly on mine even after the updates.
I have a Shield at home, connected to the gigabit network, and never really needed extra network caching. Perhaps my videos aren't that large in size.

Also Kodi 17.6 may react differently after Nvidia's recent "Experience" updates.
Why not try Kodi 18 RC5, not much will change in 18 Final anyway.
(2019-01-16, 12:03)Maverickz Wrote: So the readbuffer 90 didn't help?

Are you using wifi or a network cable?
If using wifi, try with a cable, if using a cable, try a different one.

No readbuffer 90 didn't help.
I'm using a network cable (cat6). There are 2 gigabit switches between the Shield and the NAS.
I've had this exact setup for over a year now. I used to read 4K HDR 7.1 content with no issues whatsoever.
I'm sure something has changed in the past few weeks because, I cannot read files that I could before. The usual suspect is the Shield 7.2 update but I'm not even sure.

I'll test the switches and cable with a laptop later this week.

@Klojum I guess that the log didn't provide any insight of what might be the cause of my problem ?

I will also try Leia RC5 and start from scratch.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks.
Kodi 18 RC5 isn't solving the issue.
I've tested the network with a laptop, I don't have consistent results (sometime conflicting) but I think it might be a network issue (a cable or the router).

I guess I don't need your help anymore.
Thanks for the support.
Try changing your NAS to use SMB v1, and test on the Shield TV again.
the shield has actually some problems with smb and specially when es file explorer is used or smb folders mounted through kodi and not with shield it self.
if you have a nas, enable NFS support and mount your shares in kodi with NFS.

your memory size for the shield seems to me a little small? mine is like 278921216
(2019-01-17, 01:14)Powerhouse Wrote: Try changing your NAS to use SMB v1, and test on the Shield TV again.
It doesn't work.
It appears to be a problem with Kodi only.
I tried to play some files with VLC, and it worked better than Kodi: it was smooth for FHD but not 4K HDR
I will also try Archos player and MX Player to see how they perform.

I might have to change an Ethernet cable, I found one a bit damaged so it could be related.
Thanks for you suggestions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on Nvidia SHIELD TV is buffering on local network files since 7.20