Syncing watched status via MYSQL Database on an SD card - any issues?
Hello.

I am in the process of scaling down my x86 server - I am swapping it out for a Odroid HC2.

Other than storage, I use the server to run MYSQL to sync the watched status between all of my Kodi client's.

As this is going to have to be moved to the SD card of the HC2, is this going to cause any significant problems?
I think running a database off a SD card is not the best solution. SD cards tend to have the same problem as USB sticks: they don't have TRIM support like SSD's do. Also, their write speeds usually are crap.

I use a small fanless Celeron 1037 ITX board with an SSD and pico PSU. Totally silent and doing the server stuff in the background. Or, you could try getting a USB external housing for a SSD drive, and have it boot off a Raspberry Pi 3B+. I already tried that with Raspbian and LibreELEC, and it worked okay although it turned out my SSD is probably EOL.
Thanks, Klojum.

Hmm - I guess all I can do is test what the Database is like on the SD card and then consider my options, if it doesn't work well enough.

Great idea about the Rasperry Pi - I could just put a cheap SSD on a Pi3 and use it purely for MYSQL.

Out of interest, is MYSQL the best way for syncing between a number of Pis?  I know that there are online ways of doing it, too, as well as UPNP.
UPnP certainly isn't my friend, as it doesn't support external subtitles. And even for me, remuxing all my videos just to bury the subtitle inside the mkv files, is a bit too much. Plus it makes making changes/updates to subtitles a lot harder.

But a MySQL/MariaDB server is a tool to which all Kodi devices can connect to for syncing metadata of movies, tvshows, music videos and music, as well as video watched statuses and resume points. Once set up, it should need no more attention.

I never bothered with online stuff like Trakt or so. The local MySQL server works good enough for me, and nobody outside my home needs to know what I'm watching.
Perfect - thanks for that.

I shall stick with MYSQL - has worked fine for me too, without any issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Syncing watched status via MYSQL Database on an SD card - any issues?0