A newbie question ... from an old user
Wink 
I've used Kodi for years and I'm setting up fresh install (Krypton 17). Here's something that's puzzled me for some time:

Let's take Music, for example, on the menu on the left. There's nothing there at the moment so I click Enter Files Section. There I see a folder labelled Music (that I can't access) and another folder icon beside Add Files, which I do. I only use one music source, which I call "Music". The system renames this "Music (2)" and this is what I see back out in the Files section ...

This suggests there's extra music in the original Music folder, but there isn't. It can't be accessed. And I've never found a way of removing it either. So what is it's purpose?

(I should add the same applies to TV Shows, Videos, etc. which on my machine always end up as "TV Shows (2)", "Videos (2)" and so on.)

I keep thinking I've missed something really basic, but I just can't figure it out!
What you should see is shown in the Step 2 image here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_music_to_the_library

(2019-01-17, 09:44)zzxkkw Wrote: and I'm setting up fresh install
Did you also remove the Userdata folder?

If you provide a Debug Log which captures an Update Library, we might be able to see where that other Music Source is pointing to.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
You don't mention what platform you are using. Some, e.g. running LibreElec on a RPi, automount the SD card as a possible muisc and video source. I would guess that is what you are seeing as the empty "music" etc. source. I think you can edit this source rather than add a new one  and change it to be the location of your music etc.
LibreELEC does not set a USB stick automatically as a source. It automounts external media and is also able to share that via SMB for example. But it´s not set a source automatically.

The "Music" folder seen above (not the "Music(2)") is some predefined source at LibreELEC. There´s the same for "Video" and "TV Shows". Those sources are mapped to the following folders:

"Music" is mapped to /storage/music
"Videos" is mapped to /storage/videos
"TV Shows" is mapped to /storage/tvshows

Those folders are also shared via SMB by default. So the user is able to acces them via some filebrowser and therefore is able to copy files locally to the LibreELEC device (depending on the free space on the "/storage"-partition).

After the files have been placed into that folders, the user still need to adjust some settings (for the "Videos" and "TV Shows" sources)...set content, set the scraper, adjust settings for the scraper etc.... and then one is able to scan the items to the library. They can easily be configured by navigating to the source, open the context menu and eiither edit the source or delete it if one doesn´t need the source at all.

Long story short Wink ... those sources are folders locally stored on the LibreELEC device at the /storage partition.
(2019-01-17, 10:54)DaveBlake Wrote: I think you can edit this source rather than add a new one  and change it to be the location of your music etc.

Yes, that´s totally true. Each of them can be edited and the path to the folder can be modified. If I create a new source and also name that in the same way as an existing source, Kodi automatically adds the (2) for the newly created source.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A newbie question ... from an old user1