Odroid XU4Q, worth it? Other options? Questions.
Hi,

I'm looking for a replacement for my MXQ Pro-box.

Currently I'm thinking about XU4Q being much faster than C2.
Also other suggestions are welcome, if there's a better option than Odroids.

Questions/requirements:
- Best OS software to run Kodi on? Needs to be able to install it on eMMC. I would like to use either LibreElec or OpenElec if possible.
- HDMI CEC fully supported?
- 4K video playback, restrictions, issues?
- Multi-channel audio passthrough needs to work.

Side note:
Is it possible to use a external blu-ray disk player and use it to play Blu-ray with Kodi?
(2019-01-19, 08:45)Faravid Wrote: I would like to use either LibreElec or OpenElec if possible.
OpenELEC is pretty much dead after two years of no heartbeat whatsoever from its maintainer.
It's outdated and technically no longer an option for today's Kodi needs.
I have an Odroid XU4 and it is awesome for retropie/retro arena. However, I wouldn't use it for a Kodi box and it is only HDMI 1.4.
(2019-01-19, 13:10)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-01-19, 08:45)Faravid Wrote: I would like to use either LibreElec or OpenElec if possible.
OpenELEC is pretty much dead after two years of no heartbeat whatsoever from its maintainer.
It's outdated and technically no longer an option for today's Kodi needs.
CoreElec currently in use, it works quite well. Also familiar with LibreElec. To my knowledge both are alive and kicking and great options?
(2019-01-19, 18:52)movd Wrote: I have an Odroid XU4 and it is awesome for retropie/retro arena. However, I wouldn't use it for a Kodi box and it is only HDMI 1.4.
Suggestions?
(2019-01-19, 08:45)Faravid Wrote: Questions/requirements:
- Best OS software to run Kodi on? Needs to be able to install it on eMMC. I would like to use either LibreElec or OpenElec if possible.

There are AMLogic boards that have far better LibreELEC / CoreELEC / OSMC Kodi support - and will do what you want.

There is a whole army of them from S905W thru to S912 (click)
(personally I would buy ones with included heatsinks)

Vero 4K+
LePotato
MINIX
Khadas (beware ill fitting heatsinks tho)
The cheap AML S9xx army of Android Boxes that can dual boot and run the above OS's.

An GPU Overclocked AML S912 will be pretty snappy, especially when used with a USB mini dongle Wireless remote running Kodi Leia.

(2019-01-20, 04:01)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-01-19, 08:45)Faravid Wrote: Questions/requirements:

There are AMLogic boards that have far better LibreELEC / CoreELEC / OSMC Kodi support - and will do what you want.

There is a whole army of them from S905W thru to S912 (click)
(personally I would buy ones with included heatsinks)

Vero 4K+
LePotato
MINIX
Khadas (beware ill fitting heatsinks tho)
The cheap AML S9xx army of Android Boxes that can dual boot and run the above OS's.

An GPU Overclocked AML S912 will be pretty snappy, especially when used with a USB mini dongle Wireless remote running Kodi Leia.
I already have a S905-box, I hoped to get rid of these cheap Chinese boxes.
Low quality power supply, plastic smelled like gasoline when it arrived, some quirks on the hardware (CPU bugs), I had to drill holes on top of it to cool it down, even though there's a heatsink, but no air vents.
Also 1000 different manufacturers means there's no manufacturer support, Android builds that they ship with are shady to say the least (of course whole Android can be bypassed).
Anyways I want hardware made by a single reputable brand that can offer warranty and support for their product and the product is well made with quality components.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Odroid XU4Q, worth it? Other options? Questions.0