Excessive default volume with "Play Using" to DLNA audio renderer
Detailed Description
============
Just launching a song with "Play Using" onto a DLNA renderer, volume is excessively loud.
Risk of destroying speakers and alerting neighbors !!!
My view is this is too dangerous to have such default setup from a fresh Kodi installation.
I tried with a connected Yamaha audio player (RN-602) and also on a Philips TV. In both cases, volume turnt to the maximum of the device.

Suggestion
=======
A quick temporary fix by the user:
Kodi default volume setup in guisettings.xml audio is <fvolumelevel>1.0</fvolumelevel>. Set it up to 0.5 of course allows an acceptable SAFE volume level.

But the default Kodi setup should not allow such high volume at start. So default value at install should be lower (like 0.5)
or Kodi shall apply another logic to set the audio volume of DLNA renderer. (like do not change the ABSOLUTE volume level of the DLNA renderer but only use the <fvolume> tag value as a "multiplier" ratio of the signal volume level.

Tested config: kodi-18.0-Leia_rc5.2-x64 on Windows7
"Play using", is calling up external software (Kodi takes a back seat at this point) in this case onto a DLNA renderer, and sound values would be internal to this, I suggest investigation into these routines "Yamaha audio player (RN-602) and also on a Philips TV. In both cases, volume turnt to the maximum of the device." seems to suggest unbridled values in the amplification and I'm having a hard time coinciding this with your "fix", but thanks for the tip.
Thanks for your comment.

Setting fvolume=0.5 (or value to be tuned) instead of the default installation value=1.0 is not a real fix but it works, meaning not .

A real fix would be that such extreme volume can never be played onto the DLNA renderer due to a default configuration.
My DLNA renderer volume at start up is being just regular (in stand alone mode without Kodi)
and I may ask who sets his audio devide sound volume at maximum at start up, no one. But that is what Kodi seems to make with the fvolume=1.0.
Kodi doesn't handle amplification, that would be in the hardware side of things (check the o/s audio settings) , I miss-spoke the word 'fix' should be 'work-round'. Using an external player, the audio level is pre-set at launch of that player, if I don't like the volume, I have to reset it in the player settings itself and I keep Kodi audio flat as launched, in effect using the "Play using", is calling up external software. This thread has one user with a similar issue https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=308427 in that might be another perspective.
Same topic is discussed here:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=293264

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Excessive default volume with "Play Using" to DLNA audio renderer0