Closed Captioning gets 'stuck' on first line
Closed captioning on certain channels gets 'stuck' during regular programming. When I select certain channels, if the video starts during the program itself then I will see only the first line of closed captioning which stays there until I stop the channel/playback. If I happen to start the video during a commercial that itself transmits captions, the captioning works correctly and continues to work correctly through the program. Notable examples include the ABC channels (ABC broadcast, Freeform, UPtv) and Turner channels (TBS, TNT). CBS channels have not shown this problem.

I recall some discussions here about the closed captioning being encoded into the NTSC stream but something in Kodi doesn't handle it correctly, as if there were some initialization command embedded in the stream that is missed or ignored when the video starts displaying.

Regular Kodi 17.6 Krypton on Windows 10 with NPVR and Subtitles.org plugins installed. NextPVR to HDHomeRun is my TV backend.
Next time, simply ask to have your thread moved to the appropriate forum section before starting to double-/crosspost your post all over the forum. Thanks.
First thing I looked for on the page; there's no mechanism, like a button, to move the post. Also I noticed no instruction on the submit page to contact an admin to move the post. Locating and bugging an admin seemed more of a negative action than just repeating the post in the better forum.

That said and hopefully out of the way, do you have any suggestions for addressing/solving the CC behavior?
Any solution to this problem? I just started noticing this issue for some live TV recordings from NextPVR. As Othello said, this is only happening on some channels.
(2021-05-09, 00:15)jestergs Wrote: Any solution to this problem? I just started noticing this issue for some live TV recordings from NextPVR. As Othello said, this is only happening on some channels.

You may need to switch from CC1 to CC2 in the subtitle settings.  Also you didn't include Kodi debug logs so we don't even know if you are running Matrix or not the OP was talking about a version that is two versions back.

Martin
(2021-05-09, 02:01)emveepee Wrote: You may need to switch from CC1 to CC2 in the subtitle settings.  Also you didn't include Kodi debug logs so we don't even know if you are running Matrix or not the OP was talking about a version that is two versions back.

Martin
Thanks, emveepee. Switching to CC2 absolutely nailed it. Strange that the CC1 started to play but then gets stuck. Any reason other players like VLC can play with the CC1 track?

For the record, I'm running Kodi 19.0 on Windows 10 and recordings were captured with NextPVR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Closed Captioning gets 'stuck' on first line0