Newbie - Windows vs Android For Kodi
Hi .. 1st post in here so an uneducated newbie looking for some help :-) 

I've a really old Android box that's grinding to a halt so time for an upgrade and was initially looking at an newer version / upgrade of the same and then discovered Mini PC's.

I googled Kodi for Windows and from what I've seen it looks like you can download / install it on a PC ..... are there any disadvantages to running it on Windows as opposed to an Android box and are there any limitations to the addons that you can install on a PC vs Andoid box.

If a mini PC is generally better if anyone has some recommendations of something half decent without breaking the bank would be appreciated with a smidge of future proofing built in as opposed to something about to be obsolete??
There's a great sticky for this question here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916 very knowledgeable users frequent that thread.

I have a few hardware collections and just enjoy Kodi, and whatever hardware it runs on is best. Don't overlook LibreElec for a minimalist view point.
(2019-01-20, 04:43)PatK Wrote: There's a great sticky for this question here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916 very knowledgeable users frequent that thread.

I have a few hardware collections and just enjoy Kodi, and whatever hardware it runs on is best. Don't overlook LibreElec for a minimalist view point.
 Thank you for that and I did have a look ... it was pages and pages and I couldn't easily see an answer to my initial query and there was very little info googled the question as well.

I was hoping someone may have known off the top of their head and could have given me a quick answer rather than me spending hours trawling through trying to find one.
A little research on your part would be the best approach, questions posed in that thread allow you to focus up on your needs/wants/budget questions etc... The hardware forum here is like no other in that the focus is always Kodi. https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112

A re-post in the hardware section might bring better results.

[moving this thread PatK]
(2019-01-20, 04:23)Witterings Wrote: If a mini PC is generally better if anyone has some recommendations of something half decent without breaking the bank would be appreciated with a smidge of future proofing built in as opposed to something about to be obsolete??

4K or 1080p only ?
Because there are pretty cheap Kodi devices these days to do up to 4K HDR Kodi inc. Atmos audio depending on device Ethernet capabilities.

You really do not need to go anywhere near Android or Windows for Kodi only devices, in fact in most instances it only complicates matters due to the way OS updates are implemented.

The Best Of - categorised - media players on the market (click)

(2019-01-21, 05:23)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-01-20, 04:23)Witterings Wrote: If a mini PC is generally better if anyone has some recommendations of something half decent without breaking the bank would be appreciated with a smidge of future proofing built in as opposed to something about to be obsolete??

4K or 1080p only ?
Because there are pretty cheap Kodi devices these days to do up to 4K HDR Kodi inc. Atmos audio depending on device Ethernet capabilities.

You really do not need to go anywhere near Android or Windows for Kodi only devices, in fact in most instances it only complicates matters due to the way OS updates are implemented.

The Best Of - categorised - media players on the market (click) 
 I did have a look at the link thank you .... I have to be honest a lot of goes straight over my head and have absolutely now idea what the difference between them is and which I should be looking at from the 1st sentence ... sorry :-( 

Maybe if I say what I want to use it for you might be able to point me in the right directionHuh

At the moment I download films on a PC onto a USB memory stick and then put the memory stick into the box to play the films on the TV but as the box is old am getting some buffering and because of the lag on Apps I never use say Chrome as it's frustratingly slow and if I had a more capable piece of equipment I'd probably use it a lot more .... so my minimum requirement would be to make these more usable.

Whilst doing that makes sense to future proof so would probably look at something 4k capable with decent audio capability.

Main uses would be for playing back downloaded films although I have a stack of Music DVD's that if I had a better unit I'd probably burn onto a disc for ease of access especially if it had decent sound quality ..... dolby / digital output.

I've also never used catch up TV on the old box .... again just too slow to operate / access so this would be nice option but not the most important as I can do it directly from my TV, but being able to it via this with a wireless keyboard / mouse to navigate would be preferable.

Whilst I'm buying something new I've heard but know very little about Kodi  .... I've also heard that some of the addons are no longer installed when you purchase the boxes but can be downloaded / installed separately on some units so again would like to leave my options open should I ever decide it's something I wanted to do rather than being limited.

I was initially thinking about an updated device that would handle this and whilst doing that research came across mini PC's which I hadn't heard of before and wondered if they may be easier to use, could download things directly onto them without having to transfer to them from a PC with more storage options like installing SSD's as well as external drive and memory card options BUT would still like the option of running Kodi without any restrictions to the addons available.

Going through the link you provided I stumbled across the Minx Neo U9-H which seems to cover most things, like the fact it has google playstore access although the review I found didn't cover the Kodi addons and shame it doesn't have a USB 3.

I still wonder though if a Mini PC IF if has full Kodi access may be my better option though and if I'd find it more usable.

If you can help ... would be greatly appreciated!!!
I will phrase it another way. You need to unburden yourself from using a mouse and keyboard on a TV screen. They really are Dinasour ways of interacting with Apps on a TV screen sitting in an armchair in a lounge room.

Most of us consider that type of interaction a right royal PITA these days when devices running the newer Android TV OS on the NVIDIA Shield or Mi Box or tvOS on the Apple TV 4/4K, are so so much easier.

A lot of us use home networked file storage, and keep the actual media player seperate from such storage for flexibility and ease of media player upgrading.

Worldwide, tvOS on the Apple TV has better Apps support, especially once you get outside North America and especially for TV Catchup Apps in various parts of the world. It really is an easy device to live with, use and update. You use the Infuse or MrMC Apps on it to stream your content from networked file storage.

The NVIDIA Shield runs Android TV. No PITA mouse or keyboard needed with that either due to the Android TV Apps being purposely designed to be used with a simple wireless remote. It can install a full blown version of Kodi, with all the Addon bells and whistles.
Only specific devices run the proper Android TV OS. Mainly the Shield, Mi Box, Jetstream 4K Ultra HD and in Australia the Vodafone TV.

Suggestion is move away from these dinasour mouse/keyboard PC type interactions and use a simple wireless remote with simple to use Apps on a TV screen. Use seperate networked file storage.

Makes life so much easier. Smile

@wrxtasy 

A bit belated but just to say thank you for your help above .... if nothing else it made me go and do a load more research to get a far greater understanding of the differences and hence why it's a while to respond.

In the end I went with a Sunvell T95Q as I wanted a couple of USB ports at least and I'm not bothered about things like Netflix .... a lot of it's usage will be more browser based than for films and like that there are loads more apps available from google play on this "type" of unit and if I ever want Netflix or similar in 4K in the future may look at a 2nd budget option that will handle that. 

Your comments though also made me look at alternative controllers to keyboard / touchpad and whilst I have one of those will probably also get an air mouse which I'd never heard of until a couple of days ago and as you say seem to make navigation easy and will be used a lot of the time.

Thank again for your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie - Windows vs Android For Kodi0