High CPU usage during EPG download, takes 8 minutes
I'm running 4.4.9.2 on Libreelec 8.95.003, generic.  With all the Leila RC installs I noticed that tvheadend addon causes CPU load in excess of 80% on both cores of my E350 (AMD) system.
As soon as EPG info has been downloaded, CPU goes down to about 12% of one core (other is idle).  However, this takes about 8 minutes.  My tvheadend server runs at 4.3.1711 and has 24,500 entries in its EPG.
When I start my ancient OpenElec 6.0 systems (yes I am again converting away from OE) startup (EPG download from the same hts) takes 31 seconds.
How can I find out what is causing this massive CPU usage (top shows it to be in kodi.bin).
Does disabling async epg transfer in pvr.hts addon settings make a difference?
With Asynchronous EPG selected, the CPU load goes to an acceptable average of 60% during EPG download, but it takes more than 14 minutes before the download is complete (which I can only guess, because CPU usage goes down).
With Asynch mode, there is no more progress message.  Is this as designed?  I never was much of a fan of this debug message anyway.
But it is still 15-25 times longer than on my ancient OE box.
With async epg transfer there cannot be a progress as there is no start and end, Kodi just eats what it gets from the addon, and this can happen at any time.
I have no idea why same tvh is so much faster with your combo of ancient OE, Kodi, addon. But yeah, so many things changed since then. Your ancient system's code base is by far older than my years with the project. So, not even knowing the old code I cannot help here, sorry.

My old Athlon 2 core system running latest libreelec + latest Kodi + latest hts addon + latest tvh server only needs 2-3 seconds to fill epg for 300 channels with data for 30 days.
(2019-01-21, 17:10)ksooo Wrote: My old Athlon 2 core system running latest libreelec + latest Kodi + latest hts addon + latest tvh server only needs 2-3 seconds to fill epg for 300 channels with data for 30 days.

I have round about 60 channels, but a high performance server and different high performance clients, like nvidia shield, apple tv 4k, mac book pro and some windows 10 machines. It also takes only seconds to sync the epg data.

@robvh Are you using channel icons (picons)? If so, how did you configure them? At the client side within kodi or at your tvheadend server?

In the past I configured them at the client side within kodi and it took between 30 seconds to one minute to update epg data and channel icons. One day i tried to put the channel icons on my server, so that my clients could download them via smb. But this was really slow. It took some minutes. Since I configured my channel icons (picons) at my tvheadend server, it only needs seconds to sync epg data and channel icons.

Maybe this is what you are looking for?

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
Hoppel, thank you for pointing me to channel icons.  When I switched on icon caching in the server (Config-General-Image chache-Enabled), startup times dropped to 30 seconds.
Great! Smile

30 seconds is still very much in my opinion. But I think this relates to your system performance over all (server, client, network).

Are you using picons from your tvheadend server now or did you configure the channel icons at your Kodi client?

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
I'm using TVHeadend as well, Does anyone know why Kodi every so often shows the "Searching for channel icons" popup?

It happens all the time on my setup and is really annoying. I'm not sure why as most of my channels have icons.
(2019-01-23, 13:29)docwra Wrote: I'm using TVHeadend as well, Does anyone know why Kodi every so often shows the "Searching for channel icons" popup?

It happens all the time on my setup and is really annoying. I'm not sure why as most of my channels have icons.

Not your thread... Wink

I see that message at Kodi startup for round about 3 seconds only.

Again the question: How did you configure your channel icons, at the tvheadend server or at the Kodi client?

If you configured them by the Kodi interface try to configure them by the tvheadend server web interface instead.

Regards Hoppel

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
High CPU usage during EPG download, takes 8 minutes0