Zotac CI327 nano - Only AC3/E-AC3 sound via HDMI (Passthrough)?
Hi there,

I hope I post my problem in the correct forum, please apologize if not as I'm sort of newbie to this kind of stuff here :-)

Before I come to my problem, I want to give a huge thanks for the piece of software created here and also the community for trying to help and enhance the experience for each others.

Around 2 weeks ago I wanted to 'upgrade' our very crude multimedia environment in our house - especially as our kids are now getting their own TV's. Prior (and still currently in the transition phase) we are using DVB-S via a receiver and watch DVD/BluRays which I converted and put on an Emby Server located on a NAS.
I had a Asrock BeeBox with a J3160 chipset lying around. Initial setup with LibreElec 8.95.002, adding Addons for Netflix, Amazon, connection to the Emby server were more or less straight forward. Again, kudos here for the community what has been achieved :-)

Looking good I went out to get additional Barebones - this time as they were easily available for me I want with 2 Zotac CI327 nano (btw - I should have read the HW-guide in this forum previous to buying the box, shame on me). Again, everything installed and fine. In the meantime I also set up a TVheadend back for DVB-S integration.

Everything done, connecting the Zotac CI327 to the TV via HDMI and ... no sound. No GUI sound, no sound without enabling the Passthrough option in Kodi and only getting sound from movies if there is a AC3 audio codec stream available. Again, AAC audio codec stream with the same setting where I hear sound on the AC3 codec doesn't generate any 'hearable' output.

During the last week I was reading and searching various places. Especially the searching isn't that easy as you have to sometimes you have to 'know' what to search for otherwise it isn't really helping. What I identified up to now is the following:

Successfully getting sound:
Asrock Beebox with J3160 chipset, connected via HDMI to TV
Zotac CI327 nano with N3450 chipset, connected to Samsung TV's (1x 2018 Model, 1x2010 Model) via HDMI
Zotac CI327 nano with N3450 chipset, connected to Changhong LED49E2200T2 TV via HDMI works with PassThrough enabled and the audio source is AC3 or E-AC3 codec

Not working:
Zotac CI327 connected to the Changhong TV via HDMI playing LiveTV (as far as I was reading PT is disabled here), AAC 2channel format and any sort of Kodi GUI sound.

As LiveTV is 'silent' as well as several streams from Netflix and Amazon only have AAC codecs in their stream (especially for the favorite kids tv-show) it is currently a no-go. 

For easier comparision, all the settings in the tests I performed so far are the same (=Beebox and Zotac have now the same LE8.95.003 version for the tests).
I have a debug log recorded with a fresh LE8.95.003 installation on the Zotac box trying to play a movie stored on the internal ssd drive with the different audio settings. The debug log is located here: Debug Log.

After now reading a lot, I'm still unsure what the problem could be. As the Zotac box works on the other Samsung TV's it seems like it generates appropriate sound output. But on the other hand, Changhong TV is fully working with the Asrock Beebox.

To be fully honest, as I would have a working setup, I could buy a second Beebox as I would know it is working (until now :-) ). But what I would like to understand what could be the reason for this behavoir.. as I'm a bit afraid (after reading all the different stuff for the different plattforms, etc) that in the future an upgrade (beeing it the TV, the Kodi-box, etc) will not work again. And we (=my family) are currently only slowly transition towards 4k material :-)

So, hope you don't mind my long text and as mentioned in the beginning it is in the right spot. Any help on what I can try to solve the problem, or what additional tests to check would be very much appreciate.

Thanks in advance
Seems like I can't find an option for editing my own post.

Anyway, per luck or whatever, yesterday I tried some further option in the audio settings while I was reading and finding other solutions. Finally, after I selected 'Stereo upmix' I got sound from my TV. Seems like without this option activitated the sound was below a treshhold and therefore wasn't recognized by the TV (during the tests I turned the TV speaker as well as Kodi to full).
I don't need this setting on any other TV at home or with any other box running Kodi on this TV.

Anyway, problem solved :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac CI327 nano - Only AC3/E-AC3 sound via HDMI (Passthrough)?0