Linux programs that automatically create NFO files, based upon files names.
Are there any programs out there (for Linux) that can automatically create NFO files for TV Shows, based upon the file names?

For a few reasons, I have to avoid using KODI's inbuilt scrapers.

Al I want is the bare minimum of information, so that the show will show up in my TV Show library.
(2019-01-21, 15:56)elsmandino Wrote: For a few reasons, I have to avoid using KODI's inbuilt scrapers.
 May I ask which reasons?
The TVDB is a bit of mess these days, try using TheMovieDB scraper for TV series as well.
(2019-01-22, 13:16)Coollector Wrote:
(2019-01-21, 15:56)elsmandino Wrote: For a few reasons, I have to avoid using KODI's inbuilt scrapers.
 May I ask which reasons?  
Sure - about 90% of the stuff we watch in our household is recorded TV, which we get via TVHeadend.

I have Kodi scrape from this Recorded folder, so it automatically adds the recordings to the TV Shows library.

I have set up the recording file name to be compliant for Kodi but even so, it is far from perfect.

Firstly, a number of shows just never show up at all - either because they are not in the TVDB to begin with or the title is slightly different (I use Schedule Direct for all my recordings, which are supposedly as accurate as one could hope for).

Secondly, as the number of TV shows being produced is ever increasing, I have noticed that the use of brackets also has, to distinguish them - i.e. an example being a TV Series I am watching called "Prison".  To be picked up by TVDB, it needs to be added as "Prison (2018)", whereas it showed up in my library as a 1970s mini-series.

I did try adding missing shows to the TVDB, as well updating filenames with the appropriate brackets but I soon worked out that this method is way too intensive for everyday recordings - it only makes sense for stuff that I am going to keep.

As Kodi's libraries only seem to acknowledge files that have been scraped or have an NFO, I thought that artifically creating an NFO (with the file name) was the only guaranteed way of my having all the files in my library with an accurate title.

As Klojum mentions below, the TVDB is a bit muddled - I am wondering whether TheMovieDB may be a better option.

The only place, that I have found, that seems to be absolutely up-to-date with everything, is IMDB.  Is there a scraper that I could use for that, instead?
Thank you, I wasn't aware of the TheMovieDB  issues. Are there other problems?
(2019-01-22, 15:19)elsmandino Wrote: The only place, that I have found, that seems to be absolutely up-to-date with everything, is IMDB.  Is there a scraper that I could use for that, instead? 
Thank you for the explanation!

Have you tried Mediaelch or Tinymediamanager or Ember? They have an IMDb scraper and they're available on Linux.
(2019-01-21, 15:56)elsmandino Wrote: create NFO files for TV Shows, based upon the file names?
Try this... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2779060
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-01-22, 19:55)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-01-21, 15:56)elsmandino Wrote: create NFO files for TV Shows, based upon the file names?
Try this... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2779060 
What's the benefit of sraping and adding to the library? Why not just browse from Videos->Files instead?
(2019-01-22, 20:50)Coollector Wrote: What's the benefit of sraping and adding to the library?
If the user is happy with just a listing of filenames, then there is no benefit.

(2019-01-22, 20:50)Coollector Wrote: Why not just browse from Videos->Files instead?
I ask myself that all the time when I hear these requests Smile
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Cool, I wondered if I might have missed something...
(2019-01-22, 21:10)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-01-22, 20:50)Coollector Wrote: What's the benefit of sraping and adding to the library?
If the user is happy with just a listing of filenames, then there is no benefit.
(2019-01-22, 20:50)Coollector Wrote: Why not just browse from Videos->Files instead?
I ask myself that all the time when I hear these requests Smile 
Hi Karellen - you have sort of hit the nail on the head in terms of the issue I am currently having.

Using Video->Files almost works for me, but not quite.

The "ticked" watched status for folders (which I make constant use of) won't work in file mode  - all the files within the folder show the tick, when watched, but when all of these files are ticked, the folder itself should show a tick and it does not.

If the system were working as I wanted it to, a lack of tick would show that there are unseen shows to be watched (i.e. from a new recording), but with it not working, I have to go through individual folders to check.

If there were a way to change this, it would be absolutely amazing, but I have so far struggled to get round this problem.

Furthermore, I am pretty sure that this is a new issue - previous versions of Kodi used to automatically add ticks to folders in library mode.

Creating NFOs seemed to be the only way to get round the problem, but if you could suggest a fix, I would be every so grateful.
@elsmandino

I don't really use the Videos>Files option, so not familiar with what works and does not work, but I will have a play with it in the next couple of days. But from what I know of the database structure, there is no place to save watched /played status for a folder. So it would be interesting to see if marking a folder watched actually worked in earlier versions.

Your use case sounds reasonable.

The only fix I come up with at this moment is using that scraper I provided the link for. It will simply scan the title using the filename and there is no other information scanned. Install it via zip. Does that work for you?
My Signature
Thanks Karellen.

I had a play with that add-on, last night.

Unfortunately, it did not quite work as expected.

Firstly, the option to only use the name was only available for Movies and not TV Shows.

Secondly, I tried the add-on with my movies and only a fraction were added to  my library - it kept saying that it could not connect to the remote server and kept stopping.

It is nonetheless very encouraging that such an add-on was created in the first place.

One other interesting thing that I came across is the ability for Kodi 18 to use metadata:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_file_tagging

TVHeadend attempts to add metadata to the video files it creates, by default. However, as the resulting .ts files cannot hold metadata, this information is lost.

I am wondering whether I could start recording with .mkv, which do have the ability to hold this metadata.

This might, however, be an option for the future, as I note that metadata support only works for movies at the moment.

Just thinking outside the box, for a bit - I note that you say that there is not way to store the watched status for folders.  Apologies if this is a silly idea but does the watched status of the folder itself need to be recorded anywhere?  Could the skin be adapted so that if all the files in a folder have a tick, a tick is automatically added to the folder and, conversely, if not all the files are ticked, the tick would not be there?
Looks like there is an open issue about it already... https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/15324
My Signature
Thank you - I shall keep a close eye on this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux programs that automatically create NFO files, based upon files names.0