Emby user - kodi server ?
I wonder if kodi can be installed and used in a way Emby and Plex do on server site?

Thx
https://kodi.tv/about
(2019-01-23, 07:07)DaVu Wrote: https://kodi.tv/about
 Please elaborate
Kodi is set up as a player/source model, rather than the client/server model used by the other two. All the processing and databasing is done locally on the player device with the source being simple dumb storage.

The simple answer to your question is "no", although some elements can be implemented like sharing databases between devices via MySQL (wiki).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
In addition to mysql you can also run your own Plex or Emby server with their respective Plexkodiconnect or emby for kodi add-ons which integrate their database's with Kodi
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
I guess I am saying - it's been great to be able to have server ability as well.
That prevents me and probably other uses form using kodi
It's designed as a media player to be run on a device connected to the display (or in these days of Android TV, even on the display itself).

There has been some work towards headless Kodi (acting as a server for UPNP, music and suchlike) but it's not the main focus. We leave that kind of thing to Plex et al. as that's their way of doing things (with the note that if you go back far enough and dig a bit Plex is actually a Kodi/XBMC fork anyway).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-01-25, 10:33)DarrenHill Wrote: It's designed as a media player to be run on a device connected to the display (or in these days of Android TV, even on the display itself).

There has been some work towards headless Kodi (acting as a server for UPNP, music and suchlike) but it's not the main focus. We leave that kind of thing to Plex et al. as that's their way of doing things (with the note that if you go back far enough and dig a bit Plex is actually a Kodi/XBMC fork anyway).
 ok 
let me ask you say i have 5 tvs with kodi on each.
i found its very flexible and yet difficult to setup kodi in general.
will i have to do configuring on every tv?  or there is way to do it better ?
(2019-01-27, 03:58)chudak Wrote: will i have to do configuring on every tv?  or there is way to do it better ?

Depends

Let's say you have 5 TVs and using the same hardware with the same OS on each, then you are able to configure Kodi on one device and then copy the ~/.kodi folder to every other device you are using. Then you only need to configure Kodi once and copy that configuration.

That counts for Kodi settings and Add-ons from the Kodi repository. It might not count for binary add-ons (not sure).

It will not work if you use a RPi on one TV using LibreELEC as its OS, then some Android device on another TV, some Windows HTPC on the next as some of the settings you might need to setup are platform and also hardware specific. For example, there is a browser addon for LibreELEC which will only work on x86 machines but not for the RPi.

But let's assume you have some centralized storage (NAS) and you have 5 RPis in your house and all are using LibreELEC as their OSs, then yes, copying the .kodi folder should work.

So we can't give an "over all" answer to this as we don't know your full usecase yet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Emby user - kodi server ?0