Kodi 18 on Firestick 4K: No video scaling options
I'm using the latest Kodi 18 nightly on a Firestick 4k. I noticed that, in the video settings, I don't have the option to select the video scaling method. Is this expected behavior?

I believe I'm experiencing lost frames (the playback is quite choppy) and am wondering if tweaking the video scaling method might be a culprit.
That's normal. Mediacodec Surface decides for you.

If you don't like that, disable Mediacodec Surface - but most likely the performance for advanced scaling shaders will be ~ 20 fps on your device.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-01-26, 20:06)fritsch Wrote: That's normal. Mediacodec Surface decides for you.

If you don't like that, disable Mediacodec Surface - but most likely the performance for advanced scaling shaders will be ~ 20 fps on your device.
Thanks! I'll tinker with it.

Also, if memory serves, there are two Mediacodec options that appear in the menu. Should I disable both?
(2019-01-26, 20:06)fritsch Wrote: That's normal. Mediacodec Surface decides for you.

Hmm. I gave this a shot and while I was able to use different resizers, that doesn't seem to have fixed the issue. I wonder what other troubleshooting I might try?
I went ahead and disabled both mediacodec options. That seems to have fixed the issue. Oddly enough, I never had problems with mediacodec enabled in Krypton.
You say, you had the scaling options in Krypton while using Mediacodec Surface? I really don't think so.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-01-27, 10:37)fritsch Wrote: You say, you had the scaling options in Krypton while using Mediacodec Surface? I really don't think so.
 Sorry, I misspoke. You're correct - I did not have the resizers available on Krypton. What I meant was that in Krypton, even with mediacodec enabled, certain files would still be encoded via sotware, rather than hardware. In Leia, those same files are now being decoded via hardware, which is causing the frame drops/choppy playback. This is why I asked in another thread about configuring Kodi to decode certain codecs via software over hardware.

Thanks for your help.
There was a very loud guy on the kodi forum demanding us to enable HW acceleration ... so we did it ... :-)
(2019-01-27, 20:55)fritsch Wrote: There was a very loud guy on the kodi forum demanding us to enable HW acceleration ... so we did it ... :-)
Not sure if this is possible, but is there some way to use the Whitelist feature as a solution here?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 18 on Firestick 4K: No video scaling options0