Looking to get into the Kodi family. Need Hardware advice.
My son bought me a 4K Firestick for Christmas and taught me about Kodi.
Now I am hooked and want to expand. I use the FS in the bedroom and am looking for a device for the main viewing area.
I read the sticky at the top of the page, but not being familier with all the lingo about processors, storage, speed, ect.. I thought I would just ask.
Looking for simple to use. 
Attractive user interface. 
Easy to load programing.
Fast processing.
My internet download speed is 80mbps.
I know this is one of those type of questions that everyone gets tired of, but I do value the knowledge on this site.
Considering the NVIDIA - SHIELD TV - 4K HDR  or maybe the X96 MAX Android 8.1.0 S905X2.
Cost is not a determining factor.
Ease of use, easy updates, smooth operation.

Also would consider Apple TV, but it looks like it takes skills over my head to set it up.
Thanks, Rock-On!!
The Best Of - categorised - media players on the market (click)

And

VERY important - Media Player Firmware Updates & Watchlist (click)

(2019-01-27, 07:38)Rock-On!! Wrote: Cost is not a determining factor.
Ease of use, easy updates, smooth operation.

= Vero 4K+ it's Plug n Play, literally.

or if Apps are needed the easy to use Apple TV 4K (use MrMC or the bling, beautiful Infuse App (click)
The most powerful media player on the market.

Why have I listed those two specifically ?

Firmware stability is the reason, and it's real important if you want Plug n Play without a bunch of headaches only Tech nerds can fully sort out.

The Android devices you listed above are both using shiny new underlying v4.9x Linux Kernels, and yes there are still bugs to be ironed out on them.

I was looking at the two that were mentioned in the post because they seem to be getting the most press.
Are you indicating that the Apple TV can be loaded with Kodi and apps without having to use Computer software to the manipulate the interface?
The last time I checked you had to get some type of authorization from Apple to go in and change things. I’m sorry I’m not very tech savvy. I’m an old man just trying to learn.

I am a big Apple fan. iPads, iPhones,
Ipods, MacBook, IMac, etc...

If all this can be done on an Apple TV box that would be something that I am really familiar with. Can you give me more details about what it takes to run Kodi and apps on Apple TV ?
I forgot to ask. With the Apple TV do you actually load a Kodi build or just download apps to watch streaming video. I am at the point that I want to cut the cord from satellite TV, so I want to be able to watch movies, network TV such as, ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, etc....

Are currently subscribe to Netflix and Amazon prime.
Netflix and Amazon Prime would remain your sources for movies. For network TV, there's DirecTV Now, PSVue, Sling, etc. You can also get free local TV in certain locations (see their site to see if yours is one of them) w/the Locast add-on in Kodi. Or, you can use Locast w/o Kodi using this free app (available for Fire TV).

Based on your posts, I'm not sure you're looking for Kodi. Kodi is better suited for your personal collection of movies & TV shows on a server or attached drive. Or, you can use Kodi for live TV off a compatible source (like HDHomeRun devices).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2019-01-27, 23:28)hdmkv Wrote: Based on your posts, I'm not sure you're looking for Kodi. Kodi is better suited for your personal collection of movies & TV shows on a server or attached drive. Or, you can use Kodi for live TV off a compatible source (like HDHomeRun devices).
Maybe not, but that’s why I am asking questions. I currently use Kodi on the fire stick and really like all of the features that my current build offers, so why would I deviate from that?
I guess I should add that are use my current Kodi build to watch new releases and in theater movies. If there’s a better way to build a mousetrap clue me in.
Hey mate
As your referring to new releases etc then I think your using addons not supported so you won’t get any advice on here .
I know as I asked similar question when I first joined.
Cheers
(2019-01-28, 00:51)Rock-On!! Wrote: I guess I should add that are use my current Kodi build to watch new releases and in theater movies.
If you are referring to 'builds', 'wizards', or any other kind of add-on setup that makes video available in an illegal manner, then this forum thread will be closed immediately. Whatever your son "taught" you, anyone who is knowingly installing such add-ons is also smart enough to know what is against the law and what is not.

Just as it is a simple thing to read and abide to our forum rules (wiki), including Kodi's zero-tolerance stance on video piracy. If in whatever way you are not agreeing with these rules, then it's better to have your questions answered somewhere else.
Just had a feeling those sources were what he was referring to.
Read the piracy policy (wiki) and the banned addons (wiki) list for more details.

And if he's got you into that kind of area, I would urge you to have a dicussion with him about legality, piracy and also potentially opening up your device, the local network that it's connected to and the distinct possibility of introducing malware, viruses and all sorts of other interesting nasties onto it and any other device that may be connected to it. All of those 3rd party add-ons are not reviewed/approved/checked by us, and given what they're offering would you trust them to not dabble in other shady areas?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-01-28, 00:51)Rock-On!! Wrote: I guess I should add that are use my current Kodi build to watch new releases and in theater movies. If there’s a better way to build a mousetrap clue me in.
 If you are using Kodi to access content for free that would otherwise be impossible to watch, or would cost you a subscription, then you are likely to be using illegal add-ons, which are providing this content (which they don't own or have any rights to) illegally.  These aren't up for discussion here.
I think after 3 similar posts he's got the idea by now. Wink
Sorry guys.

Yep, I get the message you are trying to convey. I wasn’t aware that I was crossing the boundaries with this post.

That said, I would still like to know which device is best for use with Kodi and other legal Applications for viewing television content.
If you want Plug n Play, the NVIDIA Shield is the best supported Android media player. You also get to use other non Kodi Apps.
It will have some annoyances (like it's remote), but for most it will be just fine.
It runs a full blown version of Android Kodi, which means all Addons will be supported.

If you want Kodi only( inc. Addons), as I said before the Vero 4K+ is the best 4K HDR capable - Plug n Play media player with the best ongoing support.
You get support direct from the Vero developers.

Best non Kodi (HDR) Apps support, especially outside North America = Apple TV 4K.
Excellent picture quality and a whole bunch of modern audio/video tech included in it's Apps. You use MrMC or the Infuse Apps on it.

"Best" does not have the same meaning for everyone. Depends what each individual wants.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking to get into the Kodi family. Need Hardware advice.0