ARTISTSORT problem
I'm trying to get Kodi 18 (on Windows) to support ARTISTSORT or any related tag with MP3s and having no end of difficulty.  I have "Use artist sortname when sorting by artist" enabled in Settings/Media/Music. I have added a number of additional tags to a test subset of albums trying to make this work - and assumed I was just getting the tag wrong somehow, but when browsing the album table in MyMusic72.db the strArtistSort field appears correct "Lastname, Firstname".  However, strArtistDisp shows "Firstname Lastname". Regardless of any of that, when I got to Music / Artists, I get "Firstname Lastname".

Is there something else I need enabled in Kodi?  Hidden flag maybe?  I have Expert settings enabled, but nothing jumped out at me.

Can someone direct me towards something that would be useful to help me debug this?  Maybe there's a bug in the setting?

Any help appreciated.
Sorry you are having trouble.

What you see displayed will depend on the skin, but the sorting order should be by lastname. I'm not clear if you were expecting the name to be display differently too, and it does not do that, or if the sort order for artists is wrong.
(2019-01-29, 21:32)DaveBlake Wrote: Sorry you are having trouble.

What you see displayed will depend on the skin,
 ^^^^^
this

If skin (such as default Estuary) shows you the "label" for the artist, you will see the "normal" artist name regardless of the sort order.  Skin needs to show the "Property(Artist_Sortname)"  to see that displayed instead.  Skin can test "System.GetBool(musiclibrary.useartistsortname)" to determine which to show.

scott s.
Ok, well, the lack of the display changing was not clear to me.  If it's not in the doco/wiki maybe it should be.  Anyway, that coupled with trying to figure out which field I actually need set to make it work were the problem.  And it surprises me that it appears that only ALBUMARTISTSORT is used for MP3s (in that I set ARTISTSORT, TSOP, TSO2 and ALBUMARTISTSORT) before I finally made it work.  The tagging page on the wiki (https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_tagging) says TSOP and TSO2 for MP3s, FYI, which is very misleading.

Anyway, thanks for the help
(2019-02-01, 18:36)nlaak Wrote:  And it surprises me that it appears that only ALBUMARTISTSORT is used for MP3s (in that I set ARTISTSORT, TSOP, TSO2 and ALBUMARTISTSORT) before I finally made it work.  The tagging page on the wiki (https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_tagging) says TSOP and TSO2 for MP3s, FYI, which is very misleading.
The wiki is correct, mp3 files with Id3 v2.4 format tags TSOP, TSO2, TSOC and user frames TXXX:"ARTISTSORT", "ARTIST SORT", "ALBUMARTISTSORT", "ALBUM ARTIST SORT", "COMPOSERSORT" and "COMPOSER SORT" are all processed and used to populate the sort names held for artists. Note how these tags are named and dispalyed by your tagging software will vary. You can also set this sort name via artist.nfo file.

The value does not have to be completed everywhere, once picked up from a tag in a music file and associated with an artist then all other entries are ignored.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ARTISTSORT problem0