Additional / extra data, nfo files and subtitles
So in addition to switching to v3 of tMM, I also installed and am using Emby. Come to find out, not only are there changes in the rename structure in tMM, but Emby also decided to play with my NFO files. So after a slight mess was made, I decided to just run all through the new settings in the tMM renamer and fix everything. As I did this, I found a few things I am hoping can get clarified.

1. Is there any data that is entered into tMM that is NOT stored in the NFO file?
2. If Emby (or any other software) should make a change in the NFO file, how does tMM deal with this? Do I need to do a refresh of the entire library to find changes, or is there a way that changes could be marked or located? For me scanning my whole library is a long process so I try to avoid it whenever necessary, but I want to avoid issues caused by writing changes to a NFO file without having the current one loaded. Meaning that it might be possible that I open tMM and make a change, save to the NFO and end up overwriting other changes that tMM just had not loaded. I assume such issues relate to tMM with any other software that could write to NFO files.
3. How can one handle multiple subtitle files that are both same language but one is full and the other foreign parts only? I have this, but when I use the renamer, it errors as it tries to make both subtitle files the same name. I also checked and could not find a feature to have the renamer NOT change the name of subtitles, but I may have missed it.
4. It seems there is an issue somewhere with tMM and case of characters. I ended up with a few movies that were in the tMM database twice, while only in the data source once. Example "In and Out" and "In And Out". Once the case of "and" was changed, both versions remained in the tMM database. I assume because it is not considering upper and lower letters to be different characters. This could also be related to issues I am having with my media server (NAS) as its software portion is crap, but it does appear that at least part of the issue is within tMM.
1) have to check, but barely.

2) depends. Are these known tags for TMM? then you should remove the movie, else we wouldn't reread the NFO.
For all others, we ignore (and keep them in NFO)

3) rename the one with foreign parts to "forced"
see https://kodi.wiki/view/Subtitles#Using_Forced_Subtitles

4) No. A movie is identified ONLY by it's path, not by title.
Please show me the directory contents - maybe we detect something wrong
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice :)
Wanna help translate TMM ?
(2019-01-29, 09:07)myron Wrote: 1) have to check, but barely.

2) depends. Are these known tags for TMM? then you should remove the movie, else we wouldn't reread the NFO.
For all others, we ignore (and keep them in NFO)

3) rename the one with foreign parts to "forced"
see https://kodi.wiki/view/Subtitles#Using_Forced_Subtitles

4) No. A movie is identified ONLY by it's path, not by title.
Please show me the directory contents - maybe we detect something wrong
1) ok
2) Some yes and some no, so it is unknown, which is why I ask. If Emby is going to mess with the NFO files, which I am looking for a way to turn off completely, this means there is a chance of overlapping changes in the data. This would apply not just to tMM and Emby, but tMM and any media center or similar that maintains NFO files. Ideally, the media center (Emby here) would write its data to XML and read and monitor for changes in the NFO, but not write to the NFO. tMM's job is not really to monitor the directories except on demand, whereas the media center's job is monitoring. But I am not the programmer so I cannot make or have such things. But to make sure I understand you, tMM does not re-read NFO files unless it is asked to by the re-read NFO function or a rescan of the data source, correct?
3) I can look into that solution. I do not consider them "forced", but I can see how this idea will likely solve the issue.
4) I think the question was misunderstood. The contents are exactly as described. For example:

<path>/movies/Two For The Money/Two For The Money.mkv
<path>/movies/Two For The Money/Two For The Money.nfo
​​​​​​​<path>/movies/Two For The Money/Two For The Money.ass
now do a rename to
<path>/movies/Two for the Money/Two for the Money.mkv
​​​​​​​<path>/movies/Two for the Money/Two for the Money.nfo
​​​​​​​<path>/movies/Two for the Money/Two for the Money.ass

I am being told it fails because the name already exists by tMM and the rename fails. It sure appears the reason is upper / lower case. I manually fixed all these by closing out tMM (since there is no full refresh option for just a movie yet in the v3 RC), change the case issues myself in file explorer, reopen tMM. Then I will see the new movies with the corrected case next to the former with incorrect case. I then delete from library only the former with invalid case and all is good. This issue I can repeat exactly every time.
2) force reload works, and via "update datasource" ONLY if the movie is NOT in DB

4) Do you have some logs with that copy error?
Problem might be different OS/filesystems.
While files on a Linux NAS exported via SMB would allow such change, a Windows client doing so might not be able to....
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice :)
Wanna help translate TMM ?
(2019-01-29, 12:17)myron Wrote: 2) force reload works, and via "update datasource" ONLY if the movie is NOT in DB

While files on a Linux NAS exported via SMB would allow such change, a Windows client doing so might not be able to....
 Where is "force reload"?

I will do more looking into #4. I am aware of what you mean with file systems, etc. I am using Ubuntu 18.04, which matches to my NAS OS (WD My Book Live) and my USB data source. I need to look to see which data sources have this issue. The USB one is an exact match, both USB and laptop using ext4. The NAS though is in question. The OS is Linux, but there is more involved there. I am not using Windows anywhere, and I agree that Windows would be a almost certain contributor to this issue.

I do not have any log files as I change/fix these as I go through. But as I look further into this, should I find a nice example I will do my best to get you log of the occurrence.
(2019-01-29, 12:17)myron Wrote: 2) force reload works, and via "update datasource" ONLY if the movie is NOT in DB

I have today discontinued using SMB and have the mount using NFS. I am believing the issue is SMB and case sensitivity. I am adding this so others that may experience this issue can see what was done and if it did or did not help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Additional / extra data, nfo files and subtitles0