• 5(current)
Focus (an XBMC Media Center skin) discussion thread
Hi great skin.. tested the update last night ... I got the problem too where the time gets cropped out .. e.g when its 0:30 you can only see 0:3 ... like the skins is filling out the screen too wide ..I had to make it -4% zoom to fit it all :| ... Evenmore can you hide the scrollbar somehow in the library and other places with many entries?.. E.g. in my library the text of the albums crosses the scrollbar which looks a bit silly Smile .. maybe align the scrllbar in the left grid instead of the right grid of the text? Smile .. I will test this skin further on too see if I can come up with anything else that could improve ...

Testing on Ubuntu linux 7.10 btw..
snuggidk Wrote:Hi great skin.. tested the update last night ... I got the problem too where the time gets cropped out .. e.g when its 0:30 you can only see 0:3 ... like the skins is filling out the screen too wide ..I had to make it -4% zoom to fit it all :| ... Evenmore can you hide the scrollbar somehow in the library and other places with many entries?.. E.g. in my library the text of the albums crosses the scrollbar which looks a bit silly Smile .. maybe align the scrllbar in the left grid instead of the right grid of the text? Smile .. I will test this skin further on too see if I can come up with anything else that could improve ...

Testing on Ubuntu linux 7.10 btw..

Are you sure you have the screen calibrated correctly? Because the time really is not outside the skins's boundaries and right aligned. It stays within the screen fine for me. Please check this by going to appearance settings->screen->video calibration.
I can't fix something that I cannot replicate. If you're on a 4:3 screen maybe it's a problem I don't know but 4:3 wasn't really taken into consideration.
And like stated a couple times, the scrollbars are not implemented correctly yet.
But thank you Smile

For those interested I uploaded two screenies of work on the hd version. Still very much searching and trying out, meaning anything could change. Bigger screens give more freedom though like having the dedicated screen area on the bottom meant to provide various information, notifications, etc.

wow, looks great Jeroen

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
not sure if this is a xbmc bug or skin bug but iv just downloaded and installed your skin. (FOCUS) great job by the way. after playing about for abit i highlighted music on the main menu and pressed down and selected recentlly played music from the list. a list of albums then apeared as expected. i then highlighted the first album and pressed the play button on the official xbox remote, and notihing happened, so i backed out to the main menu and went back into my music library to find that the library db file had been completely wiped, i was getting the message no item scaned please return to file mode.

to be clear the mymusic7.db file still existed at about 2.3mb but it was corupted in some way.

Been using XBMC for many years now and this has never happened before

also just before doing all this i had selected a custom background wich was 5mb in size so a low mem error may have been the cause as the background occasionally dissapears, iv looked through the log file but nothing obvious.
Absolute amazing skin, I have been trying skins here and there to replace the PMIII skin, I finally made the switch last night, this skin is perfect. Thanks for the hard work.

Was wondering if someone could answer me a question, I am having issues with the Video Library view, I enable the library view, go back to the main screen, once I go back to the video section, it defaults back to file view. Any ideas?
nm non issue. lol
I tried to calibrate the screen and it is not that Sad .. I looks like the text is simply too big for the skin at my setup.. anyway to change that then I can edit by myself Smile
rudeboyx Wrote:...
To be honest I have no idea what could have caused that. I certainly hope no skin can have the power to mess up your db in any way.
I tried to abuse my Win32 install trying to replicate your problem but I was not successfull in doing that.

@snuggidk: what type of screen are you using though?

@streetliquid: Focus is designed in a way that the main categories on the homescreen always take you into files view. If you hover on for instance video and press the down button on your remote or controller you can go into the library views. Thanks for your kind words Smile
Jeroen .. I am using an 32" widescreen tv (old shit) .. running in fullscreenmode in a dedicated ubuntu 7.10 server .. Smile

It is like the topbar simply goes out of border when the time is too wide .. like 4 digits ..
snuggidk Wrote:Jeroen .. I am using an 32" widescreen tv (old shit) .. running in fullscreenmode in a dedicated ubuntu 7.10 server .. Smile

It is like the topbar simply goes out of border when the time is too wide .. like 4 digits ..

Ok, I´ll have a look tonight. I can´t remember if I have my time set to 24 hour clock or not, maybe the label is not wide enough for that or something.
Very nice skin! Unfortunately it's very unstable for me on the Linux port, so I'm gonna have to wait for future versions.

Really like the good support for my old PAL TV. Everything is readable =) (Some graphical bugs related to the resolutuion though)

Just an opinion... Estetically the whole skin is a bit too "blue", if you know what I mean... =) It's a bit too bright blue, which kinda annoys the eye. I personally think the coloring should be toned down a bit.

But thank for a nice skin in progress!
snuggidk Wrote:Jeroen .. I am using an 32" widescreen tv (old shit) .. running in fullscreenmode in a dedicated ubuntu 7.10 server .. Smile

I did some tests on my 20" widescreen TFT monitor and on my 720p TV, and I could only replicate this problem when using 4:3 resolutions. Then indeed the last digit gets cut off. That is because I haven't paid any specific attention to 4:3 resolutions yet. I have to organise the font references to solve this, something I will look into soon. Every 16:9 resolution does not have the time cut off for me though, neither on my monitor or on my TV, so if you're using a 16:9 resolution I really have no clue. The skin is scaled from a 720*576 resolution, the time is aligned on the right at 660 pixels width and is 315 wide Confused Maybe you can post a screenshot or something ?

jonte511 Wrote:Very nice skin! Unfortunately it's very unstable for me on the Linux port, so I'm gonna have to wait for future versions.

Really like the good support for my old PAL TV. Everything is readable =) (Some graphical bugs related to the resolutuion though)

Just an opinion... Estetically the whole skin is a bit too "blue", if you know what I mean... =) It's a bit too bright blue, which kinda annoys the eye. I personally think the coloring should be toned down a bit.

But thank for a nice skin in progress!

Thanks. What kind of stability problems do you get? Which xbmc version are you using? I doubt things are going to get fixed automatically if I don't know what to fix and if it's at all skin-related. I don't have enough knowledge of the inner workings of xbmc, but imo a skin should never be able to make a system unstable. And if it does I really want to know when or under which circumstances this happens so I can adress it. There was a stability problem when trying to change fonts but that has been taken care of.
Please note that Focus needs a fairly recent build to work properly. In order to only display viewtypes specifically made for certain types of content (like not showing a wide icon view when listing movies or albums), Focus uses visibility conditions on the lists. This is a relatively new skinning feature in XBMC.

The biggest blue influence comes from the default wallpaper, which you can change in the skin settings. Besides that the only blue elements are some labels and buttons. I think those will change a bit in the future, but not by very much. But I will keep your comment on this in mind. Also, the dialog windows are all blue. The thing is, I found those by far the hardest to define a look for. I have changed them very often before the first release and stuck with this in the end because I liked it the most that way. Everything else I tried either broke usability or consistency too much. But I am thinking about changing them again, probably some form of dark grey or black. More like the bottom bar in the screenshots I posted of the HD version, but much less or no transparency to keep it readible. That style then would also be extended to the OSD and fanart.
Jeroen, Well done ive been using Aeon extensively and found an update for your skin and installed it - very very very nice indeed.. One of the best features of Aeon is that the backgrounds cycle, would you consider instead of a standard background image have a custom background folder?? I know you poor skinners get over dosed with suggestions after suggestions but im having to choose my fav aeon backdrop as the custom one for this - the cycle through a folder would lessen the choice and to my mind would be a great feature for you to add..

As always just a suggestion - well done on this lovely clean skin appreciate all the effort which has gone into it..

Shane
shanedoyle Wrote:the cycle through a folder would lessen the choice and to my mind would be a great feature for you to add..

Thanks Shane, actually I just added an option for this a couple of days ago. It will be part of the next update Smile
Jeroen Wrote:Thanks. What kind of stability problems do you get? Which xbmc version are you using? I doubt things are going to get fixed automatically if I don't know what to fix and if it's at all skin-related. I don't have enough knowledge of the inner workings of xbmc, but imo a skin should never be able to make a system unstable. And if it does I really want to know when or under which circumstances this happens so I can adress it. There was a stability problem when trying to change fonts but that has been taken care of.
Please note that Focus needs a fairly recent build to work properly. In order to only display viewtypes specifically made for certain types of content (like not showing a wide icon view when listing movies or albums), Focus uses visibility conditions on the lists. This is a relatively new skinning feature in XBMC.

I'm using the latest xbmc for linux, or atleast it was three days ago...
My guess is that the instability relates to poor graphic drivers in Ubuntu (I have the ATIx1250). Have similar problem when using Aeon. Maby it's just that the skin isn't perfect yet. There are however som graphic glitches and hangups. If I find the time when I get home, I'll test it again to be more specific.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Focus (an XBMC Media Center skin) discussion thread3