• 8(current)
Focus (an XBMC Media Center skin) discussion thread
Leontes Wrote:Hi! Just tried out the new revision. It fixed all the problems I originally had with this skin. Felt the need to express my appreciation. This skin is looking great, and is so easy to use! Kudos.

Thank you, I appreciate that. Glad to hear your problems are fixed Smile

Bram77 Wrote:The backgrounds change rapidly when a backdrop directory is configured. Would it be possible to make the changing speed configurable?
And there I was thinking people would maybe find the background changing too slow Big Grin I like the idea of making the speed configurable. I don't have an idea atm on how to do it but I'll try to figure something out Smile

Quote:When I use the skin with the Dutch language the text is bigger then a lot of the buttons (I guess you know that Smile). In English the text fits perfectly. Having the option to choose a more compact font could overcome this. I do this with the PMIII skin, and it helps. If I'd have the spare time.
I know Wink The problem is I prefer to keep the fonts limited to 1, max 2 font-families for consistency. I could experiment a bit with the font's aspect ratio to see if that helps. I'll set xbmc to dutch for a while to see where the problem occurs. I see some problems in the context menu for instance. By making the menu a bit wider most of them would be resolved and I can make them scrollable so they at least stay within bounds when a label is too big for the button. All in all, it's a difficult thing to completely overcome. But I'll do my best Smile

Quote:the video overlays are misplaced on my 16:9 PAL television.
Do you mean the OSD overlays showing movietitle and such? Or the "now playing" info at the bottom when browsing? I checked those and they stay in the correct position here? Maybe you could post a screenie?

//damn character limit Tongue More info later.
A Quick fix.

Something I just noticed: because of a mistake the detail list view was disabled and impossible to enable. Updated the download package in the first post.

Alternatively download this small fix without the need of redownloading the whole skin, drop both files into the PAL folder:

http://www.box.net/shared/wmh65ob4cs
I've added the updated to the XBMC-Favorites plugin.

Quote:Do you mean the OSD overlays showing movietitle and such? Or the "now playing" info at the bottom when browsing? I checked those and they stay in the correct position here? Maybe you could post a screenie?
After installing your fix with the xbmc-favorites plugin the problem is fixed. I think that when I downloaded the Alpha 3 version yesterday, not all files of he Alpha2 version were replaced or something. The overlays are perfect now! Really nice!

One more thing. The Big-List view in the video library is one of the best views I've seen for this purpose. I personally wouldn't mind if the single plot line was scrolling below, instead of the parental advisory. But that's just a personal thing and of no importance at all.
What does make this view harder to use is that the background of the selcted movie is alsmost the same as the background of the selected one. Especially with a colorfull background it's almst impossible to make out which item is selected. Maybe 'dimming' the non-selected items. Or make them, let's say 50%, more transparent then the selected item. I don't mean the background but the whole 'block'. This would make it a lot clearer which item is selected.

Quote:And there I was thinking people would maybe find the background changing too slow I like the idea of making the speed configurable. I don't have an idea atm on how to do it but I'll try to figure something out
I personally would like it if it would change once a day. Then I could put 356 nice images in a directory and have a different background every day of the year Smile

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Maybe you could also add a very light, transparent background to the submenu items in the homescreen to make then stand out a bit more on a colorful background.

I'm just making some suggestions. No criticism intended!

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
snuggidk Wrote:fixed the error with the clock out of screen (you may remember that Smile )
Great Smile

Quote: .. But erm.. Why is the cowerflow for tv-shows gone? Sad ..
There never was a coverflow for tv-shows, or do you mean for the tv-show seasons? I removed that because it didn't make much sense imo. Usability wise Coverflow isn't that great anyway. It's mostly a fun way of browsing through your movies when you're not specifically looking for something but more to get an idea of what you would like to watch. When you know beforehand what you want to watch something like list view is much more effective imo. How many seasons does a tv-show have generally? Most of them don't reach 10. So in a list of a handfull of seasons it doesn't really make sense as generally the seasons view is something you quickly go through to get to your episodes. I felt in that view it was more of a gimmick than truly usefull. I definitely want things to look nice, but ultimately function rules over form Smile I'll think about having it as an option turned off by default.
I'd like to see the icons in coverslide a bit bigger if possible. Or maybe another viewtype with bigger cover-icons. And I noticed that when I press pause during a movie the counter of the current duration-time is saying 00:00:00.
I'm really like the skin, my default atm!
Argh, I should check my "fixes" better No
When fixing the detail listview missing I made the big list view dissapear Blush
Anyway, download link updated...again... and I took the opportunity to fix the selection image in said view. Sorry about that, I had a rough day Wink

That does it, I need rest. I'll read up on what I broke this time later Big Grin
This is my new default skin. Thank you for a such a streamlined and elegant skin with font that is actually legible on my 53 inch! Looking forward to your HD release.
Can you add dvd icon view?
Jeroen,

First of all: a Great skin!, very clean and crisp.

Based on your "member name" your dutch?
I noticed that not all of buttons in the home screen fit all foreign translations, for example (screenshot below)

http://img236.imageshack.us/my.php?image=focuswh4.jpg

For the rest, keep on the good work Big Grin
Bram77 Wrote:The Big-List view in the video library is one of the best views I've seen for this purpose. I personally wouldn't mind if the single plot line was scrolling below, instead of the parental advisory.
Spot on, that was exactly my intention originally for this view.
However I ran into a big obstacle with this. Whenever the scraped plot info contained a line break, it would make the plot info spread across two or more lines instead of one, making the text spread through the video items below it. Plus the scrolling would be extremely jerkey, scrolling the two lines seperately at the same time.
I adressed this in a thread some time ago but jmarshall said it's intended behaviour for xbmc, line breaks should always be respected. So I would definitely want this too, but I'm afraid it's just not possible.

Quote:What does make this view harder to use is that the background of the selcted movie is alsmost the same as the background of the selected one.
Fixed in the latest release. There was actually no selection image at all. Or actually I was calling a deleted texture :o

Quote:I personally would like it if it would change once a day. Then I could put 356 nice images in a directory and have a different background every day of the year Smile
Smile I don't know if there's a limit to the cycling delay but if there's none, this theoretically could work but you would have to keep your xbox powered on 356 days 24/7 and keep it in the same screen all that time Big Grin

XBMC just shows the images either randomly or in chronological order and it does not keep track of where it left off before. The best thing I could possibly do is to have speed presets, but there's no way of having the user pass on values like seconds or minutes to set the cycling speed.
aart Wrote:I noticed that when I press pause during a movie the counter of the current duration-time is saying 00:00:00.
Fixed for next revision, thanks Smile

IIINeOIIINL Wrote:Based on your "member name" your dutch?
Guilty as charged Smile
Quote:I noticed that not all of buttons in the home screen fit all foreign translations, for example (screenshot below)
Yes I'm aware of that, I hope to do something about it at a point.
Jeroen: Have you tried using some sort of frame around the movie posters ? I think that would make the posters look more 'fitted'
By the way, I really like the look of this skin. I hope you go all the way with it Smile Thanks for sharing your hard work.
A couple of more comments from me. Sorry for the multiple posts.

* The View selection button should have an up/down selector (when toggling between Big Icons, List, Detail List, etc.) I like that I can turn on/off viewtypes though.

* When I navigate around the menus, the audio will occasionally be trailing behind the video, or sometime be skipped altogether. This leads to the skin feeling less smooth. This happens with both digital and analog out.

* I'm not a big fan of animations (I turn it off in PMIII) -- do you plan to make the animation user configurable ? The fade in/out looks cool though Smile

* The When in List view and I've selected to show the plot when pausing on a movie, it would be nice if the poster was represented in a smaller size above the plot. Or (crazy idea ? Smile ) - mirrorize the poster, make it like 90% transparent and make it larger so that it appears that you've flipped the DVD cover to read the plot outline on the back)

* I really like how you're mapped the remote control 'Info' button in Visualization mode.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Focus (an XBMC Media Center skin) discussion thread3