• 12(current)
Focus (an XBMC Media Center skin) discussion thread
Jeroen Wrote:Extremely strange. To be sure it wasn´t something that slipped in at the last moment I downloaded the version I uploaded and checked that one. And the textures really are showing up in that version. It´s something I fixed quite some time ago already. Only thing I can suggest at the moment is redownloading.

I´m very curious to know if there´s more people experiencing the same problem, because I really don´t have a clue tbh.

I don`t know what I did but I just redownloaded and installed again and the buttons now show up. Although another problem popped up, I can`t seem to use custom backgrounds; when I point it to a folder with the wallpaper the background is all black. Is there some sort of cache I have to delete. If I can get this problem fixed I`m golden.
scarfa Wrote:I don`t know what I did but I just redownloaded and installed again and the buttons now show up. Although another problem popped up, I can`t seem to use custom backgrounds; when I point it to a folder with the wallpaper the background is all black. Is there some sort of cache I have to delete. If I can get this problem fixed I`m golden.

I don´t know tbh. I know xbmc caches the fanart but I don´t know if it does this with other (large) images. If you´re running on the xbox, one thing that is and will remain a growing concern is the limited memory on the xbox. Occasionally some fanart will just dissapear for me on the xbox, while working fine on my Win32 build. I have experienced your problem once. Custom backgrounds wouldn´t show up while working fine on Win32. Without doing anything at some point it would just start working again Confused

I do have texture optimizing to do. So memory footprint, although nothing extraordinary atm I think, will be reduced a bit.

Glad the textures are working for you now though Smile
I've got to say I am absolutely loving this skin, I have been using it exclusively for about a month now and I'm very happy with it. Navigation is intuitive and the switching between file mode and library mode has a smooth and organic feel. I really like the simplicity and cleanness’s of the interface and the sense of space; the fact that you considered that people might want to be able to read the font is nice as well.

I hope that you will use these as your guiding principles moving forward and not be swayed too much by people who want this view or that border background or whatever. Concentrating on its simplicity as that is its strength and not adding views and features and backgrounds folders for everything but the kitchen sink. Till it becomes so convoluted to a point that only technical types with a super sized TV want to play with it.

Now to make a hypocrite of myself for me this skin is feature complete any issues that I had noticed have been resolved on this build. The only reason I haven't started to use this build on my xbox yet is because this skin is really at its best with custom backgrounds in their full glory. In the new version you have applied a dark mask I totally understand why it was add as on really bright images you can’t read the font. I really like the colourfulness and can live with a few seconds of illegibility if it means keeping it. So could you please add an option to switch the dark mask on or off or could you tell me how to remove myself.

Other options which you may already have discounted are either a dark mask behind a body of text which defuses into the background at the edges or a subtle shadow on the font itself. I'm aware that these options are simpler for me to suggest than they are to code but they are just that suggesting which hopefully can of use in some way.

Thanks again for creating this skin I've tried every other skin out there and was never completely happy with one until now.
Quote:dark mask behind a body of text ... or a subtle shadow on the font itself.

I agree something should be done to make the fonts "pop" in front of the background. This is mainly an issue for light colored fanart (sometimes there isn't a dark choice to choose from, and dimming the fanart significantly detracts from the overall appearance).
I must say I liked the old taskbar better with the transparency and smaller font. Even on my 54" HDTV the smaller font was still readable. It's also too beveled but that might be a matter of taste because I hate any GUI with too much beveling.
marlboroman1 Wrote:I hope that you will use these as your guiding principles moving forward and not be swayed too much by people who want this view or that border background or whatever. Concentrating on its simplicity as that is its strength and not adding views and features and backgrounds folders for everything but the kitchen sink. Till it becomes so convoluted to a point that only technical types with a super sized TV want to play with it.

Yes, those have always been and will remain the priciples I work with. Every idea I get (or any suggestion a user brings up) is put on a scale. I really try to find a good balance there.

Actually instead of adding viewtypes I´m more keen on limiting the amount of viewtypes.
I have been completely rewriting the way custom backgrounds are handled this weekend though, allowing for more extensive user customisation (although one sacrifice had to be made, but more on that later). The way it´s currently handled in my dev version is a big improvement imo.

As for adding features I follow a very simple rule.
- If it´s an xbmc standard feature it will be supported no matter what.
- If it´s a custom feature, I have to like it and/or want to use it.

Quote:In the new version you have applied a dark mask I totally understand why it was add as on really bright images you can’t read the font. I really like the colourfulness and can live with a few seconds of illegibility if it means keeping it. So could you please add an option to switch the dark mask on or off or could you tell me how to remove myself.
There´s actually two things that dim the background images atm. One is a diffuse texture covering the entire screen, causing the brightness of the image to decrease from the center out to the screen corners and behind the transparent menu, indeed for readibility issues. This texture has been tweaked and made much less dramatic for the upcoming version. It will however not be made optional. Not because I don´t want to but simply because I don´t think there´s an easy way to do it the way it is set up now, apart from at least doubling the amount of code for the backgrounds and introducing a pack full of potential conflicts. Then again, I am learning while I go here, so who knows what I can come up with at a later stage.

The second one is a simple fade animation of the image. This second part is going to work differently in the next version and will be made optional.

Quote:Other options which you may already have discounted are either a dark mask behind a body of text which defuses into the background at the edges or a subtle shadow on the font itself.

I have thought about that a couple of times before and always rejected the idea before actually trying it out Smile This weekend I have been rewriting the weather screen though and decided to try it anyway.
And I actually didn't dislike it. Here's how it turned out:

So, I think I´m going to leave that in for now. I will have to see how it will turn out in other screens though so I´m not sure if I´ll be using something like this in the filelists for instance, in any case not in the upcoming revision.

The fonts already have shadows but I guess they just don't have enough effect.
rwparris2 Wrote:I agree something should be done to make the fonts "pop" in front of the background. This is mainly an issue for light colored fanart (sometimes there isn't a dark choice to choose from, and dimming the fanart significantly detracts from the overall appearance).

Note though that the global fanart is meant as nothing more than some nice background decoration. To have a better view of the fanart there´s the dedicated fanart view, which only has a slight overlay at the bottom behind the text and no dimming.

Ultimately though, it will be impossible to please everyone.
I will try to bring some improvements to this (like in the weatherscreen perhaps) but in the end I´ll take a dim over anything so it will be optional.

scarfa Wrote:I must say I liked the old taskbar better with the transparency and smaller font. Even on my 54" HDTV the smaller font was still readable. It's also too beveled but that might be a matter of taste because I hate any GUI with too much beveling.

I assume you mean the menu on top of the homescreen. It is still transparent. Regarding the font, if you are running true HD like I mentioned before there´s work to be done in that area. If you are running it on the XBOX without special cables you´re basically running a stretched 16:9, I can´t cater for that. There´s no bevel on the menubar though, unless you call a 2px border a bevel. I have lowered the higlighting a bit for the next version, but other than that I´m pretty pleased with it.
Lightbulb 
Jeroen Wrote:Every idea I get (or any suggestion a user brings up) is put on a scale. I really try to find a good balance there.

First off I love this skin!! Number 1 for me!! Suits my wishing list for a skin almost completely.. so here are my suggestions Wink

I've read you were not completely happy with the OSD (think that's what it's called) (when highlighted the buttons should be bigger), so while your changing maybe this is a nice suggestion Wink

This how it currently is:

My suggestion is to make it like this:

- Grouping the different kind of buttons: on the left bookmarks, audio and video; in the center the (in my view) most important ones; and on the right the time.
- Probably even better if the buttons in the middle would be slightly bigger than the ones on the left and the time on the right.
- When I press menu (on remote) and the OSD comes up I think it would be better/more beautifull if the Pauze/Play button is highlighted instead of the one on the left like it is now.

Just suggestions, I hope I can tip the scale Big Grin

Looking forward to your next release!

Keep it up, LoL Wink
LoL, I like your suggestion for the OSD, so that'll be changed. Also agreed on making the pause/play button the default selected, should have been that way from the start Wink
I would like to suggest that, when in "list" and "detail list" views, the user should be able to cycle from the beginning to the end of the list, by simply going up, making it faster and easier to access the items at the end of the list.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
I love this skin. It's one of the classiest available on 4x3 resolution. From what I can tell, though, it doesn't have movie fanart support. I'd really like that feature, since it spices up the look quite a lot.

And perhaps an optional feature: have the home screen menu link to Library view (without using the dropdown menus).
xbs08 Wrote:I would like to suggest that, when in "list" and "detail list" views, the user should be able to cycle from the beginning to the end of the list, by simply going up, making it faster and easier to access the items at the end of the list.

This should already be possible. Although it will only work when using direction up/down buttons, and not with the trigger buttons or page up/page down buttons.

chrislee149 Wrote:From what I can tell, though, it doesn't have movie fanart support.
The latest release has _very_ basic movie fanart support (thrown in at the last moment, so it might not even work for you Big Grin ), the next release will have full movie fanart support.

Quote:And perhaps an optional feature: have the home screen menu link to Library view (without using the dropdown menus).
The homescreen menu was specifically made the way it is to provide quick access to filemode and library features with as minimal user input needed as possible. So that's not going to change, sorry. Providing an option for it would duplicate the code needed for the main menu. I can't provide an option for everything Wink
Quote:This should already be possible. Although it will only work when using direction up/down buttons, and not with the trigger buttons or page up/page down buttons.

I´m using the dvd remote on the xbox and it doesnt seem to work, can anyone confirm this?

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
xbs08 Wrote:I´m using the dvd remote on the xbox and it doesnt seem to work, can anyone confirm this?

I have to say, it works fine for me, using the dvd remote. Up and down scrolling in list mode. I dont seem to have detailed list mode (Maybe its library mode, dont use that) and Big and normal Icons it doesnt work for.. Maybe thats something needed? I feel its annoying to scroll through music (Especially large chunks) to be stopped at the bottom, when you realise you want to go to the first album Rofl
xbs08 Wrote:I´m using the dvd remote on the xbox and it doesnt seem to work, can anyone confirm this?

Also works fine for me in list view but not in big list view.
What i also noticed in big list view is that it overlaps the right info label.

I think it would also be great to have a scrollbar in big list view.
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Focus (an XBMC Media Center skin) discussion thread3