• 6(current)
Important Windows Store v18 update resets my settings
@pedram

Did you uninstall the Store version before you attempted the copy? You may have selected to uninstall the userdata or a glitch may have caused it to be uninstalled also. I have updated the wording of the instructions, thank you.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
2 quick questions regarding the upgrade to the UWP version of 18.. SO far, I have no issues with the migration, and UWP seems nice and slick...

1. Do we need to remove the previous version? given there's no option to delete via 'programs' are we ok just to delete folders from localcache/roaming/kodi?

2. I run a multi monitor set up, and no longer appear to have an option to select which monitor Kodi is displayed on? I can window and drag, however upon close/reopen, it goes back to primary monitor (when I want it on second monitor).
Any suggestions to fix?
Apologies, but I've also just noticed that I now have an invisible 'kodi' app pinned to the taskbar that I can't remove.. thoughts?
(2019-01-30, 13:35)Phattchoo86 Wrote: Apologies, but I've also just noticed that I now have an invisible 'kodi' app pinned to the taskbar that I can't remove.. thoughts?

In Windows Explorer open the following location:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

That's the folder where all the pinned app shortcuts are stored. Remove the Kodi one from there and you should be good to go.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
got all excited, but alas, the offending app doesn't appear in this folder. 
interestingly, neither does the new Kodi 18 that I have pinned (although I can see that fine on the taskbar)
Have you tried rebooting, or at least restarting the explorer.exe shell?

This is more a Windows issue so we're getting a bit off-topic, but such quirks can sometimes be fixed that way.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
yep, restarted explorer shell, full reboot, deleted the icon cache.. nothing works.

agree it's off topic.. should I raise a new thread in the general thread? only posted in here as it's been caused by windows store V18 update (as I've migrated to UWP), and the icon is the old v17 app that I had pinned
I'd be tempted more to try a Windows 10 specific support forum for such a question. It's OK in this thread given the context, but beyond that it's not really something for this site.

Kodi Blog Posts
I understand things change... but there is expectation management, and ways to properly overcome these difficulties.

Like others - confused why Kodi didn't work tonight... Come to the forums, and find out why and the solution on the first post of this thread. I run multiple Kodi boxes across several OS all pointing to a common SQL database on sinology...  And thank you very much for now wasting my time in this update.

Yes it broke, and the solution of copying files from one directory to another (scenario 2) does not work for me... the installation for SMB did work to see those drives - but it still shows Movies, and TV shows completely empty - even after waiting for the migration of the database to be completed.

The worse thing I ever did was to install the win 10 store app - never again. Every update since its been available has not gone smooth. Throwing it out and going back to an exe version that I can download and control when I want to do the update. When I have time to do it, not a surprise in wasting multiple hours to fix things. If you knew that the windows store app was going to need to copy files - then this should have been included in the installation - proper QA and testing should resolve this surprise ! SO what if its moved to be a common app or MS has changed things - its no damn excuse of proper Quality and Testing.

Even the name of the app / pinned name changed...  I had things set up to automatically run Kodi on windows 10 and to my surprise that stopped - how many other users did little things like that you suddenly broke on us. Some kind of announcement or warning would have been nice. I like others installed the windows store app mis informed or having expectations it would reduce our workload and keep us current... Whenever a new version became available, it would automatically update, making things seemless, reduce our workloads - nirvana ! But no its just a pain now, worthless - would not understand why anyone would want to do this...   Maybe some warnings on the description in the store - stating its going to break and your going to hate it might be best!

Long time Kodi supporter - but you guys dropped the ball. Even as I look at v18 it seems so much slower to startup and do things - Im really starting to think of the word bloatware.
Thanks DarrenHill.. system restore seems to have solved it.

will wait to hear people's responses to my 2 other queries. 

appreciate the assistance!
(2019-01-30, 14:20)impactoz Wrote: proper QA and testing should resolve this surprise ! O what if its moved to be a common app or MS has changed things - its no damn excuse of proper Quality and Testing.

It is always so heartwarming to receive such well-meant criticism. How large would you say the Kodi team is in terms of number of professional developers & testers? Hmm? Less. No, less... Again, less than that. That's right: zero, nada, zilch, niente...

We're still a small bunch of VOLUNTEERS, sacrificing the little free time we have for making such an awful and bloated software product. By the way, we are still happy to welcome you into our team of testers, despite the fact that the last time you visited this forum was in .. May 2018. Where were you during the Alpha, Beta and RC testing phases of Kodi in the last 9 months?

(2019-01-30, 14:20)impactoz Wrote: Long time Kodi supporter - but you guys dropped the ball. Even as I look at v18 it seems so much slower to startup and do things - Im really starting to think of the word bloatware.

Plenty of functionality has been off-loaded into add-ons. And still internal functionality has been added. Kodi still runs on a Raspberry Pi Zero. I think bloatware is out of the question.

Why don't you visit one of our localized Kodi stores, so we can refund you the hard-earned cash you have paid for our latest Kodi product.
You want to start a falme war - go ahead...

Last time I visited was 9 months ago - incorrect. I usually drop by nearly every week - but I only ever log into my user account when I need or want to post something - so search via IP address and not via last time user logged in.

I also have a life, full time job, family , and volunteer my services to other organisations. So as much as I would love to help you out - god only created 24 hours in a day... and for the last 2 years I have worked 7 day weeks for over 12 - 16 hours a day. So unfortunately I have not got the luxury to find additional time thankyou.

But I do expect no matter small of an operation it is - that common ground - ie Windows based would be covered by many many of your testers. I think its great that many things have moved on to be optional installs... Something drastically has gone wrong with my installation with the windows store app. It took 30 seconds on a Kodi screen, to then display the v18 splash screen - then another minute to show the menu... even with the smb installed - 2 minutes to show a directory listing.   Blown that all away - so no chance for any logfiles... installed the 64 bit from a download - and it runs smooth - nice and quick...

Cant wait for 18.1 - or maybe I can - at least I can control it after seeing if there is a 6 page thread on day 1 about loosing all my settings !!
Further to Kodi catching a cold.
Interestingly, on two of my Win10 UWP installations, Kodi cannot see hard drives of either spinner or SSD.
Surprisingly, Kodi does see removable media such as DVD drives, both virtual and real.
Haven't tried USB
Hello everyone,

I am new and am wondering something as I have not yet used KODI and never heard of it actually till today.

To me (and I could be wrong, I often am) this is a easy fix.  Considering that Microsoft has made too many mistakes in the past few months and considering they have a attitude of I am better thank you and they like things their way.  I would not allow Microsoft to update or put my software in their store or this is going to happen often.  Microsoft is notorious of tampering with other peoples works and messing things up, I know I am a computer tech and I personally think that allowing them to tamper with your software or update it after they redo it the way they want is a mistake that will only get worse.

I have not used your software yet and was thinking of doing so as I also have ROKU, but after reading this mess and having to go through the pain of fixing it, it should have never happened to begin with.  I am now not sure I wish to use it.  I will not allow Mocrosoft to tamper with anything I have, they think they are God's of all things computer, I disagree with them greatly and I assure you they are not.  However that is your choice.  I wish you well, this sounds good, I shall keep a eye on this as I like it but now am afraid a bit to use it and the reason is, Microsoft is snoopy and worse.  Many have no idea and so is Google.

Rev. Ivan....
@Grumpy - By Microsoft design, UWP apps cannot access local fixed media directly.

If you need such access, then switch to the standard install (download via the link at the top of the page). See the first post in this thread for details.

Kodi Blog Posts
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows Store v18 update resets my settings0