Admin Permissions on system files for Openelec/Libreelec??
I'm hoping someone can assist me with this issue.  I have several devices running various versions of OpenElec or LibreElec and so far I've been unable to make changes to any of the system files regardless of the versions.  

I'm connecting to them via WinSCP.  I can see the various system files and folders without issue.  I've tried making a change to the startup.xml file but cannot add/delete/rename etc on this file, nor can I go to it's properties and apply any permissions.  I also just tried to make a change to another file (/etc/systemd/logind.conf) to change how the power button functions but I run into the same problem.

Sorry for my ignorance.  I'm a Microsoft guy and not very "linux-literate".  If someone could provide me with the steps to take, or any alternate software I may need to do this I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!  Rick
TLDR: you can not. Period. {Open,Libre}ELEC package the system itself as a read-only image (there are very good reasons for that).

However with some skills it's possible:
1) If google doesn't work where you live https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/11249-...le-system/
2) Change the file you need in sources and build your own LE with bells and whistles.

Pro tip:
This is kodi (the application) forum, everything *ELEC (the OS) specific is better asked on their forums, maybe you don't even need to modify the file on the root fs itself,
LibreELEC has a lot of clever tricks to allow customizations to be made without the need of touching the system image at all.
(2019-01-30, 00:51)RickWJ324 Wrote: I'm hoping someone can assist me with this issue.  I have several devices running various versions of OpenElec or LibreElec and so far I've been unable to make changes to any of the system files regardless of the versions.  
FYI, OpenELEC is already no longer in development for about 2 years, and is officially outdated for any current Kodi usage. LibreELEC is fully up-to-date.

LibreELEC uses 2 partitions: a system partition which is read-only, and a storage partition where amongst other things, all LibreELEC settings are stored. It's also the location that can be seen as an extension for the Linux OS.

It would be perhaps best to explain what you are actually trying to do. Maybe there is a different, better and faster way of achieving what you want.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Admin Permissions on system files for Openelec/Libreelec??0