need help setting up tv show library
I could use some help, i've been driving myself crazy.  Ive been using a Raspberry Pi as a media server for over a year.  It is connected to an external hard drive that holds all my digital movies.  The movie player acts and runs perfectly.

I've been trying to add seasons of The Simpsons for days now, and i can not get them to scrape.  Actually now i cant even see them to watch them as a file. I thought i had the wrong file structure and naming conventions so i was moving them around creating different file paths and changing naming conventions.  As of now the files are in a main folder called "tv shows", inside that a folder called "The Simpsons", and then the files are stored in there as "The Simpsons s08e01".  I have 2 seasons in the same folder.

At one point i had season 8 working, that folder structure was as i described above.  Kodi scraped the box art and titles and it played as it should.  At that point the other season was in another lateral folder, those files were in a folder called "season 4" and were named "S04E01".  

I figured i need to rename the season 4 files and put them all in the same file as season 8.  So i renamed them to match the convention used for season 8 and moved them all together.

I tried to update library.  It looked like they scraped but then never showed up.  I changed the file structure again and tried to update library it looks as though everything is being scraped but then nothing shows up.

Now the art work for season 8 in in the Tv Show menu but they wont play.  And if i try to navigate to them and play them as files they are showing up at all.  At this point the file structure is the same as when it was working...
ive read thru the adding video kodi wiki.  i cant get past adding source.  I go to videos on the left in the home screen, but because i've already added my external drive it's already there, there is also an icon for movies and tv shows.  I never got the chance to set content for tv shows. And i think that may be my problem.  But now that its there i have no idea how to edit that link or even remove it to start again.
@mmead1014

We need a Debug Log to be certain what is happening, but I will take a guess and suggest you are affected by item 1e here... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=336969

Get your episodes in order. So a main The Simpsons folder. Inside that Season folders, then the episodes in the Season folders.

If you have deleted the tvshow.nfo (if there is one) and refreshed the show and it still does not work, post the Debug Log.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
When you set the source up, did you set the top level of the source to be the "TV shows" folder and the type to be TV shows?

What will happen if you do that is it will select the correct scraper and will also set the sub-folders within the "TV shows" folder as each containing an individual TV show. Scraping then should work fine.

The key point is the level at which that "this folder contains an individual TV show" flag gets set. If you have a different/deeper structure then it can get set at the wrong level, and things go wrong. If needed you can manually set/clear that flag by selecting the folder and going into the context menu and then change content (or something like that, doing this from memory).

Here an individual TV show would be defined as the show you look up in the database, such as "The Simpsons" in this case. That show can have sub-folders for seasons if you wish, and of course one or more individual episode files.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I'll work on extracting that debug log if changing folder structure doesn't help.  I really appreciate the advise.
(2019-01-30, 11:26)DarrenHill Wrote: When you set the source up, did you set the top level of the source to be the "TV shows" folder and the type to be TV shows?

What will happen if you do that is it will select the correct scraper and will also set the sub-folders within the "TV shows" folder as each containing an individual TV show. Scraping then should work fine.

The key point is the level at which that "this folder contains an individual TV show" flag gets set. If you have a different/deeper structure then it can get set at the wrong level, and things go wrong. If needed you can manually set/clear that flag by selecting the folder and going into the context menu and then change content (or something like that, doing this from memory).

Here an individual TV show would be defined as the show you look up in the database, such as "The Simpsons" in this case. That show can have sub-folders for seasons if you wish, and of course one or more individual episode files.
 Thanks for the reply

As of now the folder structure is set as "tv shows" (source folder) -> "The Simpsons" (Individual Show folder) -> then single file episodes "The Simpsons s04e01" (Full season) and "The Simpsons s08e01" (full season). The individual show folder has both seasons in it. More seasons will be added once i understand what i'm doing. 

Can or should they be in yet another sub folder "Season 4" and "Season 8"? This is what id prefer but if it won't work like that then it doesn't matter.
Try changing the season folder names to just "Season 4" and "Season 8" without the SxxExx bit.

Those may be confusing the scraper as the season/episode part is what the scraper is looking for for episodes. So it would be something like:

TV Shows
--- The Simpsons
--- --- Season 4
--- --- --- The Simpsons S04E01 - Kamp Krusty.mp4
--- --- --- The Simpsons S04E02 - A Streetcar Named Marge.mp4
--- --- Season 8
--- --- --- The Simpsons S08E01 - Treehouse of Horror VII.mp4
--- --- --- The Simpsons S08E02 - You Only Move Twice.mp4

As long as the "This folder contains a single TV show" flag is set for the "The Simpsons" folder and all the sub-folders beneath it then it should scrape correctly.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-01-30, 17:59)DarrenHill Wrote: Try changing the season folder names to just "Season 4" and "Season 8" without the SxxExx bit.

Those may be confusing the scraper as the season/episode part is what the scraper is looking for for episodes. So it would be something like:

TV Shows
--- The Simpsons
--- --- Season 4
--- --- --- The Simpsons S04E01 - Kamp Krusty.mp4
--- --- --- The Simpsons S04E02 - A Streetcar Named Marge.mp4
--- --- Season 8
--- --- --- The Simpsons S08E01 - Treehouse of Horror VII.mp4
--- --- --- The Simpsons S08E02 - You Only Move Twice.mp4

As long as the "This folder contains a single TV show" flag is set for the "The Simpsons" folder and all the sub-folders beneath it then it should scrape correctly.
Thank for the reply.  That's actually pretty close to how i had it. But i did go thru and add the episode names.  Still nothing after i tried updating library. 

The next thing i did was remove the whole TV Show file from the hard drive completely and then cleaned up the library to remove at least some of the traces that it ever existed.  Then put the TV Show file back in and tried again to update the library.  It's like the TV Show folder doesn't exist, it doesn't read the existence of any files.
(2019-01-30, 04:43)Karellen Wrote: @mmead1014

We need a Debug Log to be certain what is happening, but I will take a guess and suggest you are affected by item 1e here... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=336969

Get your episodes in order. So a main The Simpsons folder. Inside that Season folders, then the episodes in the Season folders.

If you have deleted the tvshow.nfo (if there is one) and refreshed the show and it still does not work, post the Debug Log.
Thanks for all the info.  Now that I've got a little free time today i'm going to look into "1e". 

I'm probably wrong about this, if i am let me know.  I don't think i have NFO files. I say think because i'm not 100% sure what NFO files are or how i'd get them.  All Ive got in my video folders are mv4 files.  Unless NFO files are considered the info that gets downloaded when i use the scraper in that case i must, but have no idea where they get stored or how to get rid of them. I did remove the tv show files and cleaned up the library.  Maybe that worked?.?.?

Regardless i'm going to figure out how to get a debug file.
(2019-02-02, 18:49)mmead1014 Wrote: Unless NFO files are considered the info that gets downloaded when i use the scraper in that case i must
If you simply used the Kodi scrapers to scrape your library, then you won't have any nfo files. I made the above comment as many people unnecessarily use 3rd party media managers that do create nfo files, but forget to mention that when asking for help. So it is just a standard comment I make.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-01-30, 04:43)Karellen Wrote: @mmead1014

Ok  so i got really frustrated and gave up for a bit.  Now i've got a few hours to mess around with this again.  I'm running version 17.3  would that have anything to do with it?  If you wouldn't mind taking a look at my log file i'd appreciate it.

https://paste.kodi.tv./bukuqekaxe
The forum moderators have determined that banned addons (wiki) are present on your system. To receive assistance here, these banned items must be removed. If a clean log is not submitted within 3 days, then the relevant post(s) will be removed after this time.

Kodi Blog Posts
lets try this again.  I believe i removed what the moderators were referring to. 

https://paste.kodi.tv/xesiyuruya

thanks again for the help
You've missed at least 5 repos, and as that log didn't have debugging enabled I can't tell how many addons (or orphaned fragments of them) may remain:

17:55:54.417 T:1945547424 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.xbmchub
17:55:54.417 T:1945547424 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository superrepo.kodi.jarvis.all
17:55:54.417 T:1945547424 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository superrepo.kodi.jarvis.video
17:55:54.417 T:1945547424 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.kodil
17:55:54.417 T:1945547424 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.kodibae

All of the above are banned addons (wiki) as they contain piracy addons.

Kodi Blog Posts
@mmead1014

You still have Banned Add-ons (wiki) installed. They will need to be removed before receiving assistance here...
xml:
17:55:54.417 T:1945547424 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.xbmchub
17:55:54.417 T:1945547424 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository superrepo.kodi.jarvis.all
17:55:54.417 T:1945547424 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository superrepo.kodi.jarvis.video
17:55:54.417 T:1945547424 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.kodil
17:55:54.417 T:1945547424 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.kodibae

Also you log is no good. Follow each step here...

1. Enable Debugging mode.
    a. Go to Settings>System Settings>Logging and it should be the first option or
    b. press ctrl-shift-d on a keyboard
  2. Restart Kodi. Do not skip this step or you may be asked to do it again.
  3. Replicate the problem. Now that debug mode is enabled, repeat the steps that cause the problem.
  4. Upload the log using either the:
    a. Manual method to Kodi Paste Site. Log location is detailed here... Log_file/Advanced#Location (wiki) (see next section for more details), or
    b. Add-on method using the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki)
    With either method post the address link in the address bar in a new post in your thread.
Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
need help setting up tv show library0