Retroplayer and Keyboard
I've just downloaded v18 Leia win64 version and fired it up excited to see how it would handle retro games. I've run into a problem right out of the gate. I downloaded an emulator and tried to fire up a game only to be greeted with the following message:

"In this release, only controllers can be used to play games."

I guess I could hook up a controller for the console games, but how am I supposed to play my DOSBox games without a keyboard?

Is there a way to use a keyboard? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

~Raze
~Raze
Keyboard does not work with RP in Leia, it is not implemented. You will have to wait until M*** is released, or use an external emulator for DOSBox games.
(2019-02-01, 09:01)Wintermute0110 Wrote: Keyboard does not work with RP in Leia, it is not implemented. You will have to wait until M*** is released, or use an external emulator for DOSBox games.

Thanks. That's too bad. I'm curious what the reason was?

Regardless RP is a huge step for kodi and all the work put in is appreciated.
~Raze
(2019-02-01, 10:13)Raze Wrote:
(2019-02-01, 09:01)Wintermute0110 Wrote: Keyboard does not work with RP in Leia, it is not implemented.

Keyboard was supported throughout development, but I decided to drop it 18.0 to greatly simplify the code of the MVP. Now that our MVP is out with the 18.0 release a few days ago, we can start building toward completing our input support.

Another problem is how to map keyboards to player numbers. I started a Player Manager project, but it needs some more work and thinking before it's ready. Ideas welcome!
(2019-02-03, 00:49)garbear Wrote:
(2019-02-01, 10:13)Raze Wrote:
(2019-02-01, 09:01)Wintermute0110 Wrote: Keyboard does not work with RP in Leia, it is not implemented.

Keyboard was supported throughout development, but I decided to drop it 18.0 to greatly simplify the code of the MVP. Now that our MVP is out with the 18.0 release a few days ago, we can start building toward completing our input support.

Another problem is how to map keyboards to player numbers. I started a Player Manager project, but it needs some more work and thinking before it's ready. Ideas welcome! 

Sorry to resurrect this old thread. I understand that keyboard input is not supported for games, that said, can gamepad/controller be 'remapped' into the keys that a dosbox game would require? I just discovered the dosbox core and I'm impressed by how well it seems to work. I tried to assign my controller d-pad to the arrow keys of the "keyboard" controller in kodi however no luck at all. Any way this can be achieved in kodi 18.x?
Would be great if we could get ColecoVision or other type of controller mappings added to Kodi 18.4... right now MSX controller mappings don't work with Coleco and cannot use keyboard - see bug ID https://github.com/xbmc/peripheral.joystick/issues/162
(2019-02-03, 00:49)garbear Wrote:  

I just encountered a problem trying to use Atari 2600 original controllers in 18.0. If I configure the Atari controller to the actual controller, I can set the only five buttons the controller has (fire, up, down, right, left). But I cannot use the game without the Game Select and Game Reset console keys. Obviously, there is no extra buttons on the controller so I could use them. The solution would be to map keyboard keys for that (F1 and F2, for example).

I just tested starting a game with a Xbox Controller, starting the game and pausing it. So I turned off the Xbox controller, connected the Atari joystick and just played it. Of course this is not a reasonable solution, but I could confirm mapping the missing keys to the keyboard or mouse would surely solve my problem.

About mapping keyboards to players, you mean two keyboards and two players? Is that possible? I know that for O.S. high level, all keyboards will generate the exact same code for the same key. Maybe the keyboard option could work only as Player 1. On my Atari example, it would suffice. Joy1 buttons to controller 1 face buttons, Joy2 buttons to controller 2 face buttons, some keyboard keys to console keys (on Player 1 controller). Surely would not satisfy the need for a two players playing using keyboards.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Retroplayer and Keyboard0