Trustworthy Netflix Addon
Hi

I read that I can use netflix with kodi. But i can't find an official plugin. Everything I found with google looks suspicious
There isn't an "official" one, and probably never will be.

But there are a few around (including some in the video addons section here) which many people use without issue.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-02-01, 13:35)DarrenHill Wrote: There isn't an "official" one, and probably never will be.

Why is it that there 'probably never will be an official one' ?
I understood that now that drm is supported it should not be a real problem any more.
Is there some policy which prevents an official kodi-addon from being released ?

Thanks for any insights,

Alex.
It would require "buy-in" from Netflix (and other providers for similar add-ons), and from what seems to be going on in the market at the moment each of the content suppliers seem to want exclusive and full control over not just their content but also how it's viewed. Hence the limitation they are putting on resolution on all but selected and officially approved hardware for example.

The fact we can actually do it obviously is something we have now removed as a blocking point, but whether they are willing to do it and in such a way that is acceptable to both sides (closed source blobs of code may or may not be acceptable, or other requirements like Widevine, stuff like that). Basically just because we can now do it may not change the motivation of the content suppliers to actually want to do it, despite our best efforts.

Don't get me wrong, it would be a great win if we could achieve this and it's something we would love (hence why all the DRM work was done). But the real-world case may be something different, at least from my personal viewpoint (but then I'm a known pessimist).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I understand that indeed the content suppliers all seem to want full control, so this is challenging.

I do however also agree with the poster of the initial message above that since there seem to be a number of versions of the (unofficial) plugin available, some might look suspicious, specifically since apparently the original one got cloned a couple of times.
So now there are multiple places to get a version of the plugin, which also doesn't help when people try to get it running.

It would be great if we can find the middle ground somehow: An unofficial plugin (and preferably only one) that is well documented and can somehow gain enough of a reputation that people can trust it.
The problem (at least on some platforms) is the need for Widevine for it to work. As that's Google proprietary closed code, we can't include it into our official repo.

Hence any Netflix add-on which needs it would need to be a 3rd party repo add-on, and so will never be an "official unofficial" add-on. And if it's in a 3rd party repo and not maintained by the team, we have no more control over it than anyone else does.

There don't seem to be that many versions out there (at least that I see), almost everything is based on the asciidisco one. But in the end, as with everything 3rd party, the end user has to do their homework and if they're not happy/comfortable with taking the risk then don't install it and use a different solution to view Netflix. As with many things we're all about informed user choice, and part of that "informed" viewpoint is showing some common sense about where you get stuff from and stopping to think if things appear to be too good to be true.

Kodi Blog Posts
There's unofficial asciidisco's plugin: https://github.com/asciidisco/plugin.video.netflix although for couple of weeks it has some problems...
I hope it would be corrected anytime soon.

Anyway, does anybody tries to do something like a wide, public petition to Netflix in order to show them, that some kind of support from their side would be appreciated?
Does anybody use asciidisco's plugin?
I was using it for several months without any problem.

Then, ca. August 2nd, I cannot play anything in Kodi in Netflix - it stucks on "loading" circle and video never starts.
I can browse catalog, see movies and TV shows, but I cannot play them inside Kodi using this plugin.
I've updated Netflix addon manually to 0.13.23 (from zip, not from repo).

HBO GO plugin for Kodi is working properly.
(2019-08-09, 11:34)raven6679 Wrote: There's unofficial asciidisco's plugin: https://github.com/asciidisco/plugin.video.netflix although for couple of weeks it has some problems...
I hope it would be corrected anytime soon.

Anyway, does anybody tries to do something like a wide, public petition to Netflix in order to show them, that some kind of support from their side would be appreciated?

That repo does not work anymore. Page does not exist :-(
Is there maybe another trustworthy Netflix plugin for Kodi, that could be used for paid account?
As I said before, do a little homework and look in the video addons section here.

There are a few around, such as this one.

Whether you trust it (or anything else) or not is entirely up to you of course...

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-09-04, 13:08)DarrenHill Wrote: As I said before, do a little homework and look in the video addons section here.

There are a few around, such as this one.

Whether you trust it (or anything else) or not is entirely up to you of course...
OK, thank you. I will check it.
So is the Netflix add on trust worthy (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=329767)
That's up to you, as already stated. Or perhaps you should give us your definition of "trustworthy", so we can maybe give a more exact answer to your question.
(2020-02-25, 08:32)Klojum Wrote: That's up to you, as already stated. Or perhaps you should give us your definition of "trustworthy", so we can maybe give a more exact answer to your question.

Will it take my Netflix Login Info?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trustworthy Netflix Addon0